Box Blind Question

Nimrod71

I am thinking of getting into the box blind business. My plan is to build a top quality blind that can be either set on the ground or on post. It would be built of treated wood and put together with screws for easy assembley or take down. The question: would you be interested in purchasing one and what would you be willing to pay for a 4 X 6 or and 8X8 basic model both will be 7 ft. tall.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You need to build a prototype of each Then post with pictures in order for us to answer your questions.

Also you may need to consider delivery and installation as an option.

GADawg08

I would be interested in some 4x6 EMT frames that I could put on some platforms and wrap them myself. I've never been much of a welder:D

Jim Boyd

Good luck with the project!

Remember there are some UV protected plastic ones out there that are pretty nice.

You gotta beat them at their own game!

Lots of good folks on here that will be excellent to deal with.

Again, best of luck.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am thinking of getting into the box blind business. My plan is to build a top quality blind that can be either set on the ground or on post. It would be built of treated wood and put together with screws for easy assembley or take down. The question: would you be interested in purchasing one and what would you be willing to pay for a 4 X 6 or and 8X8 basic model both will be 7 ft. tall.

Not to rain on your parade or anything but it's too easy to build one yourself.;)

shdw633

Remember there are some UV protected plastic ones out there that are pretty nice.

You gotta beat them at their own game!

Exactly!! I have the plastic ones and love them over the wood and metal ones that my buddies have. The wood ones are to heavy to put up and down, just because it goes up don't mean it will always stay up. When I had a wood base that blew over I dislocated my shoulder when we went to put it back up and currently my buddies roof was partially ripped off during last years hurricane...he is dreading having to bring his down to repair and put back up because it took a truck with a winch to get it into the air. The metal framed wrapped ones don't hold the heat in when you have to hunt in the cold so I have gone to the plastic ones for the last 8 years as they are cheaper, hold up good and keep the heat in during those cold days. That's what you got to compete against as far as my dollars go anyway. :bounce:

I hope you do it!! I could use another box...4x6 though.

Nimrod71

The idea is to build custom boxes, whatever the hunter wanted. I have access to both wood, plastic and metal. In other words you tell me what you want and I will build it. I have been thinking about this for a while and after I put some numbers and dollars to the plans it got more expensive than I figured. However, a local building supply has been selling the plastic ones at big prices so I thought I would take another look. This is really just something for me to do since I have retired. I have all the equipment I need to build them. For a wood one the material cost runs around $300.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Yep, the last wood one I built, 4x6, cost right at 300. Good luck with your venture.

XIronheadX

Not to rain on your parade or anything but it's too easy to build one yourself.;)

Haha. I've seen some too lazy to to get out of the truck. And those that couldn't build a birdhouse. They could be good customers. He could build a garage next to it to hide the truck and expand the business. haha

ryanh487

I would sell for cost of materials + 10% + labor. A guy I used to hunt with paid $400 a piece for someone to build him 4x4 box blinds that IMO are pretty sub-par construction. Not safety wise just function and finish wise.

shdw633

The idea is to build custom boxes, whatever the hunter wanted. I have access to both wood, plastic and metal. In other words you tell me what you want and I will build it. I have been thinking about this for a while and after I put some numbers and dollars to the plans it got more expensive than I figured. However, a local building supply has been selling the plastic ones at big prices so I thought I would take another look. This is really just something for me to do since I have retired. I have all the equipment I need to build them. For a wood one the material cost runs around $300.

Hope you added liability insurance into that cost because there area a lot of lawyers that like to go after manufacturers when something happens in the woods.

XIronheadX

Mine have to be heavy duty. I like to lean my chair back against the wall. Prop my feet up. One of those plastic things and I would be upside down on the ground. I carpet the walls to deaden the hollow effect so I can hear outside.

ryanh487

Hope you added liability insurance into that cost because there area a lot of lawyers that like to go after manufacturers when something happens in the woods.

All you need is a disclaimer/liability release at the bottom of your signed order form stating that the buyer accepts all liability for the use of the product.

shdw633

All you need is a disclaimer/liability release at the bottom of your signed order form stating that the buyer accepts all liability for the use of the product.

If that is all you ever needed in order to not be sued then lawyers would go out of business.

ryanh487

If that is all you ever needed in order to not be sued then lawyers would go out of business.

it costs a fair amount of money to sue someone.

Insurance wouldn't be a bad idea (nor a business license and registering the company as an LLC) but the liability waiver would certainly help your case. If they didn't make a difference, warnings and liability notices wouldn't be used on any products ever.

Nothing will ever prevent a law suit, but plenty will prevent the plaintiff from winning that suit.

XIronheadX

You'd have to sell the stands like they do moonshine. Dump it off in the bushes and pick up the money and go. Avoid all them lawyers. lol

groundhawg

I need two right now. Would be happy with 4x4 or 4x6 models. Regard costs, last ones we got cost $300.00 in materials for 4x4 and we paid $425.00.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep, the last wood one I built, 4x6, cost right at 300. Good luck with your venture.

Yep, that's about what I have in mine give or take.

Jim Boyd

Costs quite a bit of money to sue someone?

Not in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit - the overwhelming majority (read that as ALL of them) are contingency lawsuits, meaning the plaintiff pays absolutely nothing up front.

Breach of contract, patent infringement, divorce, criminal law - all of these can cost a fortune.

Facts.....