Deer bedding areas and habits

futuredoc

A friend and I got in a conversation about deer movement, and I realized how little I really knew about it. Can anyone tell me if mature bucks use the same bedding areas day after day, or do these areas change periodically. I assume it probably depends on terrain, hunting pressure etc. If bucks did use such defined areas, then it would seem to me that the likelyhood of seeing a mature deer on more than one occaision would be much higher than than I believe it to be. Most mature deer are seen once and then never again. So I guess what I am getting at is when you hunt a bedding area, are you hunting that spot because the deer may be in there or may not, or are you hunting in hopes that the deer that are constantly in there will move before dark or after daylight. Where is coondawg? The thick areas in Ga present so many possible bedding areas that one could surmise that a buck could bed down in one thicket in the morning, get up and move a mile to feed and then bed down in another area the next morning.

fd

Timbo

You can also tell what type of deer lay there too.From the size of the bedding area.But that is a different topic.

We as humans will lay in the same bed because its the only place we know to sleep,besides the couch or floor if you pass-out.But deer are constantly moving.But there sleeping quarters will stay in the same area unless pressured to lay some where else.In a hundred acre area they will lay nearest from the food they are eating.There not going to travel a mile eat and try to return to the same bedding area.If they stayed in this routine predators will also pick up as well.

But you can sit off from one and hope for a happy return.but you have to remember this is there house and they will notice if something has been moved or added.

Oh well good luck.