new to tieing need question answered

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Okay I have purchased the equipment and have tied a few flies. Getting better but still having dubbing issues but getting better.

The real question is: I am left handed and all the videos etc have people tying right handed. So I have tried two different threads and both are separating into seeable strands as I wrap. Is it due to the twist of the thread? Can I over come this in some way like choosing a different type of thread? Or do I need to learn to tie right handed?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just wrap it the other direction, or use mono cord thread.

Okay I have purchased the equipment and have tied a few flies. Getting better but still having dubbing issues but getting better.

The real question is: I am left handed and all the videos etc have people tying right handed. So I have tried two different threads and both are separating into seeable strands as I wrap. Is it due to the twist of the thread? Can I over come this in some way like choosing a different type of thread? Or do I need to learn to tie right handed?

As you tie the fly, you can also periodically spin your bobbin in the opposite direction to keep the thread wound up.

Killer Kyle

Your issue is one that I have never really thought about before, and I understand what you're saying. Ferrulewax probably has the best answer. When you watch fly tying videos on YouTube, you'll often see the tier spinning the bobbin. They do this for different reasons. One can be to loosen the thread so it lays more flat like what you're describing, and other times they wind it up tighter to keep the thread from doing that, or to make it more round. I do it often. Even as a right handed tier, my thread will do that frequently and I find myself twisting it up. Hope that helps!!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
mostly 8/0 nylon on size 12's

Hmmm...it shouldn’t have anything to do with you being left handed. You just turn your vise around. Everything would be the same. My guess would be there are small pieces of material that you’re wrapping over that is causing it. For example, you don’t get a clean cut on a feather or something and that is seperating the thread as you wrap over it.

Tentwing

Hmmmmm?? .....shot in the dark hear , but are you using Ultra Thread made by UTC ? If so it is not woven, and will easily come apart as will all un-woven nylon threads. I use it for that reason it allows me to make the thread ly flatter and gives me way less build up on the fly.
Un-woven nylon allows me to tie much skinnier flies , but it takes some practice to tie with it and keep the thread from splicing.

Hope this helps, Tentwing

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Thanks for the replies. Keep the ideas and feedback coming.

Hmmmmm?? .....shot in the dark hear , but are you using Ultra Thread made by UTC ? If so it is not woven, and will easily come apart as will all un-woven nylon threads. I use it for that reason it allows me to make the thread ly flatter and gives me way less build up on the fly.
Un-woven nylon allows me to tie much skinnier flies , but it takes some practice to tie with it and keep the thread from splicing.

Hope this helps, Tentwing

This. I would Imagine that your thread is a nonwoven. I prefer non-woven for the same reasons that tentwing has mentioned. If you want a round thread, there are plenty of options out there.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
This. I would Imagine that your thread is a nonwoven. I prefer non-woven for the same reasons that tentwing has mentioned. If you want a round thread, there are plenty of options out there.

Definitely not woven.

How do you tell that it is woven on websites as I have not seen that as a listed characteristic?