12 guage question

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Looking at buying a new 12 guage automatic and fixing it up with a scope for turkey hunting. What models do you hunters like that can shoot 3-3.5" loads?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Looking at buying a new 12 guage automatic and fixing it up with a scope for turkey hunting. What models do you hunters like that can shoot 3-3.5" loads?

I got the stoger last year 3000
The 3500 shoots both.
I should of showed it to u.

I duck hunt and my A5 is light and works great. I also shoot a Super X 3. Allot heavier gun but I know booth would work.

deerslayer0369

Stogers are an excellent shotgun! My biggest factor would be the guns overall weight. A feather weight semi will still thump like a mule, IE Weatherby SA-08. I’m a mossberg guy, so I’d go with the 935. The 935 is a tad picky on shells I’ve noticed tho. It doesn’t fully eject low brass shells, this would only apply if your looking to use it for more than turkey tho.

Buckman18

Funny you posted this, I'm debating getting a Mossberg 930 and the Stoeger. Leaning toward the Mossberg because it's made in 'Merica, just like me.

deast1988

If it's dedicated turkey gun a Sx3 NWTF model would be hard to beat.

Benelli are super nice, but would require bases and maybe gun smith to attach a scope/red dot.

JHannah92

I absolutely love my sx3. I'm getting great patterns with my turkey loads, and it's a duck and dove killing machine.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
You stuck on getting a 12?

Always open to suggestions on 20's just figured a 12 would be better for the # of shot you get in the loads. I've thought about a Benelli or a Franchi because of them being lightweight but curious about the other guns as well.

fountain

Always open to suggestions on 20's just figured a 12 would be better for the # of shot you get in the loads. I've thought about a Benelli or a Franchi because of them being lightweight but curious about the other guns as well.

This is where the future will be good to you. With the introduction of hevi-shot, heavyweight and tss, a 20 will rival a 12

My suggestion would be to find a nice 20 ga of your liking and shoot some tss 9s through it. The pellet counts will be on par with anything out there in the pattern department. They will hit hard and kill further than we should shoot at a Turkey.

I've shot a Charles Daly, 870, benelli m2, Mossberg sa-20, all 20 ga and they do fine. The benelli m2 is a great little 20 ga auto and comes highly recommend from all around.

You can find commercially loaded tss shells from apex ammunition, federal and nitro. I'm a huge fan of the small guns now and don't see a reason to go back to the punishment 3.5" 12 ga can give.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Thanks Fountain. Sounds like the 20's have come on strong in past couple years for turkey hunting.

deerslayer0369

Beagler, they most definitely have. Working on a project 20ga now for my 6yo now as a matter of fact. Picked up a Remington youth model 870 3” chamber. Fountain, any suggestions I should look at for shot/choke combo that’s not TSS. Are LB’s worthy out of a 20, I know in the 12’s they’re devastating.

fountain

Honestly, I would stay with tss in the 20. I'm sure the LB woukd be good, but tss is forgiving at close range and holds tight to 40-50 and delivers energy like none other.

Most any of the major name chokes in the 555-570 range will be good. It will boil down to what kind of pattern you are after. We have several fine choke builders here in ga and I have shot most of them.