Easy street reloading?

trad1

I have 2 45-70s and I,m interested in getting into reloading but don,t know where or how to start.Whats a good beginners kit?

pavogrande

I believe in minimalist reloading to start -- others do not -
a lyman reloading manual or other manual - i prefer lyman
Modern 45/70 as opposed to trapdoor ?
A press of some sort -- lee hand press -
2 or three die set -
balance scale
bottle of case lube -
primers, powder, bullets -
rag to dampen with solvent to remove lube --
That is about all you NEED - All the other stuff makes it easier or quicker --
Lots of good used tooling out there --
Others may disagree and insist you spend a couple hundred bucks or more to get started --

Bill Mc

Buy several reloading manuals and READ READ READ.
Lee makes some good packages at a good price.

Best way to start. Read.

Then find someone who does and lit them guide you.

Buckstop

I started with an RCBS kit. Came with a speer manual but have added a couple more as I started loading different make bullets.

Like others have suggested, read the manuals first.

Dub

I started with the RCBS Rockchucker kit and some manuals from Nosler, Hornady and Speer as they were the bullet manfs I wanted to use.

Great press.

Accuracy that you will achieve in your guns can be simply unbelievable.

Jester896

Senior Clown
things to remember on .45-70 is Hornady cases loaded with FTX (LeverEvolution) are shorter and you might want to only load FTX in those.

Read AND understand the manuals.

Have Fun!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
When I first got into reloading I spent hours watching YouTube and learned alot. I learned alot of folks do it just a little different here and there and you will have your own also.

Nimrod71

The best start is to get a Lee - Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee / Everything About Reloading with World's Most Comprehensive Load Data. Then read it before you buy any tools. The 45-70 is easy to load for and you can load it to hunt anything that walks. I suggest a Lee Single stage press with lee dies, a scale, lee hand primer and the extras as much as you want to buy.