Public land only

tknight

Not even a single track!

Well got up and headed down to one of my favorite "public" land spots. Didn't hear any birds didn't even see any tracks on the roads! :huh:

Did find some corn scattered out along the main road...with a trail cam strapped to a tree in front of it! Talking about brave putting a trail cam out on public land with nothing but a ratchet strap! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG-35582.jpg
    IMG-35582.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 320

jlt4800

100% public land for me as well...I too love the room to roam...I'm starting out this season 30lbs lighter too so will be much lighter on my feet! look out Tom!

Garnto88

Rest assured by posting on this forum about how great afternoon hunting is and how everyone leaves at 9am you are assuring that others will follow your advice and start doing the same. Some things are better left not posted or said. Never tell people about a secret fishing hole or about what is working for you and post on a public forum..

blindhog

Rest assured by posting on this forum about how great afternoon hunting is and how everyone leaves at 9am you are assuring that others will follow your advice and start doing the same. Some things are better left not posted or said. Never tell people about a secret fishing hole or about what is working for you and post on a public forum..

This

Jeff Raines

When they go out there and sweat gallons and spend the afternoon without hearing any gobbles,they'll stop after a time or two.

WaltL1

Come on, do you really think the folks that only hunt until 9am do it because they think the birds go under ground or hide in hollow trees or something for the rest of the day?
They do it because the like hearing birds gobble on the roost and trying to get one of those birds. After a couple of hours they lose interest or have other things to do etc.
How about sharing choke and shell patterning results? Keep it a secret?
What calls work best for you? Secret?
Whether decoys do or don't work for you? Secret?
Sharing stories of how you got your bird? Secret?
All of those things are sharing information that might give somebody else a better chance for success.
Maybe we should just shut down the Turkey Forum?
Certainly don't want anyone learning anything......

Gut_Pile

There are 800 people viewing this forum at this exact moment.

If even 1 of those stays past 9am because of this thread, you have done yourself a disservice.

Just because people don't post doesn't mean they aren't looking. This place has THOUSANDS of viewers per day

WaltL1

There are 800 people viewing this forum at this exact moment.

If even 1 of those stays past 9am because of this thread, you have done yourself a disservice.

Just because people don't post doesn't mean they aren't looking. This place has THOUSANDS of viewers per day
When did discussing common knowledge with other hunters become a "disservice"?
Its common knowledge that turkeys live where they live all day long.
And again -
Discussing who's calls sound great - disservice?
What chokes throw a great pattern - disservice?
Posting a picture of a "mountain bird" - disservice?
That turkeys can be killed from sun up to sun down isn't a secret.
Man what has hunting become?

Gut_Pile

Man what has hunting become?

It has become a sport of people who aren't willing to put in the work looking for the easiest way to kill a gobbler. Discussing any public land strategy on a public forum is idiotic. It draws attention to the place you (or others here) are hunting.

If it was me, and I was new, I wouldn't even go to a WMA until 9am due to the advice from this thread alone.

Also, to your other points, none of those other discussions steer people towards public ground.

WaltL1

It has become a sport of people who aren't willing to put in the work looking for the easiest way to kill a gobbler. Discussing any public land strategy on a public forum is idiotic. It draws attention to the place you (or others here) are hunting.

If it was me, and I was new, I wouldn't even go to a WMA until 9am due to the advice from this thread alone.

Also, to your other points, none of those other discussions steer people towards public ground.
It has become a sport of people who aren't willing to put in the work looking for the easiest way to kill a gobbler
The "easiest" way to kill a gobbler is when you know exactly where they are - gobbling from the roost. Not later in the day when they are quiet and on the ground traveling.
Discussing any public land strategy on a public forum is idiotic.
Then we better not talk about using calls or camo or locaters or.......
It draws attention to the place you (or others here) are hunting.
Nobody has mentioned "where". If someone wants to know a "where" all they have to do is look at the regs.
GON itself posts all the stats of all the WMAs etc for the previous year.
Then the morning hunters will consider that a great service to them.
Uhhhh the title of the thread is "Public land only"......

Just going around in circles here so I bid you a Good Luck this year and pssssst..... you can catch bass in Lake Lanier if you like to fish. Don't tell anybody though its a secret.

Gut_Pile

If you can't see my side of the argument on how ANY mention of ANY public land hunting is a disservice to the people hunting.

And pssstttt....you can fish lake lanier all year, you can only turkey hunt a WMA during the season.

SC Hunter

Dude you nailed it!! I hate people asking for public land advice. Had a guy at flint river several years ago ask me where they were gobbling at? I said over by those pine trees and he got really upset at me about it. :huh:

WaltL1

I can see your side of the argument.
I get it. You want as few of the public hunting the public land that you/others hunt.
Then just say that.
Don't come up with all these nonsensical other reasons.
And I'll pass on your veiled personal attack.

Garnto88

I agree. Seems public land attracts a lot of hunters that watch too many hunting videos/shows . Those are one of the worst things to happen to hunting along with baiting deer... that’s argument for another forum...To me, if I’m gonna have to leave at 8 or 9 I won’t bother with even going for fear of messing up my area or messing up another hunter. But I respect others where most don’t when it comes to a turkey or deer..

We are creating a generation of hunters that want quick success with no idea of how to really hunt. Most young people can’t identify a mast tree nor read sign.

Garnto88

I can see your side of the argument.
I get it. You want as few of the public hunting the public land that you/others hunt.
Then just say that.
Don't come up with all these nonsensical other reasons.
And I'll pass on your veiled personal attack.

You guessed it that’s what I’m saying exactly ..