Camo/Hide Your Trail Camera...

Davexx1

With so many thefts that have occurred in our hunting woods I and others are quite nervous about leaving an expensive trail camera set up in the woods even with the security cable attached and the unit locked.

In the past I have attempted to somewhat disguise my camera by placing a few dead branches, limbs, etc. on each side but you have to be careful to keep all from in front of the camera lens and sensor. This may have helped but the camera was still very visible.

I had a new idea to help disguise it and that is to take a piece of leafy camo material and wrap it around the camera on the tree and cut a window in the material so the lens and sensor is not covered. This and a few limbs or branches on the sides may be a better way to hide the camera from any would be thief. My concern about this is when the material gets wet then the sun warms it up later causing a very humid condition that could permeate inside the camera housing and cause damage and failure. Not sure how likely this is though.

Also thought of maybe mounting the camera up in a tree facing it downward to get it out of sight but that would likely compromise its weather resistance qualities because they are designed to be mounted upright.

I think the cameras at greatest risk are the ones at easy to find locations such as feeders.

Just a few ideas to hopefully prevent theft and loss of our expensive toys.

Dave1

Davexx1

How about a fake log or similar with realistic tree bark on the outside, made out of plastic or whatever, in which the trail cam would be mounted inside with a hole for the lens and sensor????

Just another idea that came to mind.

Dave1

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
trail cameras

If a thief finds you camera and can't get it off the tree, they will try and break it. Our club had one camera moved around the tree by somebody. The owner thought another club member did it, but I think a trespasser did it. Anyway the owner said it ruined the camera. The camera was in a thick out of the way place. I like the up the tree looking down placement. Never had a problem with rain getting in the camera.

He Who Hunts

IMHO, if somebody comes across something and they want to steal it they're going to no matter what you do. I try not to worry about it because I bought it to put in the woods. It may be safer, but it's not doing me any good sitting in my garage.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I built a metal box with a chain to lock mine to the tree. Somebody might steal it, but it is not going to be easy.

DYI hunting

Home Depot sells color caulk. Use it on your camera to build a bark like texture that will blend in with the trees in your area. The caulk will not hold moisture and will breakup the blocky look of the trailcamera giving you a realistic 3-D look.

MCBUCK

They don't steal our cams any more.....they just take the SIM cards.

NOYDB

BANNED
The camera makers could stop this problem.

Encrypt the data and password protect the controls.

Handgunner

The camera makers could stop this problem.

Encrypt the data and password protect the controls.
Most Cudde's have a password protect so that the memory and settings can only be accessed by the password holder.

hambone44

Home Depot sells color caulk. Use it on your camera to build a bark like texture that will blend in with the trees in your area. The caulk will not hold moisture and will breakup the blocky look of the trailcamera giving you a realistic 3-D look.

here's mine

Attachments

• cam1.jpg
    cam1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8,782

Davexx1

My Cuddeback is password protected so if it was stolen they can't use it, but I would still lose the camera.

Yes, some will steal "IF" they see/find it. That is the idea, camo and hide it so it cannot be so readily or easily seen. I doubt you can completely hide it from view but it seems you can reduce its visibility with some creative camo tactics. Anything you could do may help and may save your camera.

HB44, you have yours camo'd pretty well. It should blend in well to a background of similar colors. What is the material you used on the exterior?

Dave

Handgunner

How does doing this affect the warranty?

deerbandit

Never had a problem with the camera walking off but have had people come through and change the film out of my old 35mm cameras. The only reason I knew it had been done was because I would put the same film in every time and went one week and it was a different kind. That camera was one of the hardest to find no trail around no feeder in sight was about 500 yards off the road and through a creek also. Have 4 digital cameras out know 2 are right on top of feeders and have never had a problem with anybody messing with them and are very easy to find, the other two are on trails that are about 100 to 150 yards from the feeders and never a problem with them either. But they loved those 35mm cameras for some reason.
Never been a real big fan of the ones that lock to the tree because if they wanted it bad enough they would find a way to get it like cut the tree down. I know some people are saying that wont happen but remember there thiefs will do what ever they have to to get what they want.

Killdee

Heres a couple of my 3-d cams.Liquid nails pressed into a silicon mold I made of a couple different trees then glue it on and paint. I use a python cable lock to secure it. Some homebrewers have glued bark and plastic leaves to theres. I just finished the mossyoak cam today.

Attachments

• P1010033 (Small).JPG
    P1010033 (Small).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 6,904
  • DSC00654 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00654 (Medium).JPG
    116 KB · Views: 12,121
  • dig #3.jpg
    dig #3.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 7,109
  • P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6,915
Last edited:

gunsaler111

Banned
i put mine in an old hornets nest,hi pointing down,it stayed on public land all season .....

Until some one tried to shot the nest with a shotgun!

Davexx1

Those are some good ideas. Others?

In my opinion, anything you/I could do to make the trail cam less visible increases the chances of it being there when you return.

As many trail cam users have already experienced, it sure would be a disappointment to find an expensive trail cam gone when we went back.

Dave1

Killdee

The only commercial cam I ever bought $215 in 1999 for a 35mm, I put it as far off the path as I could,and was still afraid it would be taken. Dont place where the flash could be seen from a road or 4 wheeler trail and lock it up good.That will stop most people cause thieves are lazy. If they really want it they will cut the tree down, so stick to bigger trees.If your really worried take a climbing stick with you and hang the cam 8-9 feet up and angle down on your trail.

j_seph

Another idear

put a note on your camera stating
"Take if ya want, just make sure you take the other one as well":bounce: