Camper Refrigerator

Longhorn 16

I want to try and run my refrigerator on propane for the whole deer season. I have a 26' camper with a dometec propane/ electric unit. I have two 20 lb tanks and a single battery. I have removed all other electrical components from drawing power from the battery.

The camper will be connected to shore power on Saturday and Sunday so the battery only needs to last five days without a charge.

How long do you think the propane will last assuming propane use will be for the refrigerator only?

I will try and get refrigerator model info next trip down to camp.

Anyone have experience trying this?

Last edited:

Capt Quirk

We had a Dometic in our Airstream... it died because of a factory defect. They said they'd fix it, if I drove to the other side of the state with it.

Anyways, you should be able to run the fridge the 5 days on 40lbs, as long as you aren't in it frequently.

Dr. Strangelove

Anyways, you should be able to run the fridge the 5 days on 40lbs, as long as you aren't in it frequently.

Unless y'all get propane cheaper than I do, that's about $35-$40 a week for propane (refilling 20lb tanks). It wouldn't bother me for a week's vacation, but it would get pricey for a full deer season.

Longhorn 16

We had a Dometic in our Airstream... it died because of a factory defect. They said they'd fix it, if I drove to the other side of the state with it.

I was thinking it could run months on two tanks. The flame when on is a little more than a pilot light.

Last edited:

WayneB

Battery will run out before propane does.
I can get 2-3 days on battery running only fridge, unless I connect solar panel and charge controller, then about a month on a #30 bottle.
You lose battery for smoke and CO detectors too..
Tractor Supply usually sells propane, $19 to fill a #30.
Ag Supply and Southern States stores also fill em for about the same price.
Look for places that sell in bulk, per gallon of LP, not per cylinder and get better pricing. Just sayin'..

Longhorn 16

Battery will run out before propane does.
I can get 2-3 days on battery running only fridge, unless I connect solar panel and charge controller, then about a month on a #30 bottle.
You lose battery for smoke and CO detectors too..
Tractor Supply usually sells propane, $19 to fill a #30.
Ag Supply and Southern States stores also fill em for about the same price.
Look for places that sell in bulk, per gallon of LP, not per cylinder and get better pricing. Just sayin'..

The only electrical draw on the battery is the refrigerator. I pulled the fuse to the propane detector. Good point on the solar panel, I plan on adding one or repurposing one that I already have at camp.

Having two tanks I will change the empty one when that occurs. That way I know I always have 20 plus pounds to get through the week.

660griz

The only electrical draw on the battery is the refrigerator. I pulled the fuse to the propane detector. Good point on the solar panel, I plan on adding one or repurposing one that I already have at camp.

Having two tanks I will change the empty one when that occurs. That way I know I always have 20 plus pounds to get through the week.

True about the battery. I ran the generator every day for a couple hours. If you are not there, solar and/or multiple batteries in parallel greatly increase the time.
If you could get some golf cart batteries, you could probably go even longer.

Longhorn 16

True about the battery. I ran the generator every day for a couple hours. If you are not there, solar and/or multiple batteries in parallel greatly increase the time.
If you could get some golf cart batteries, you could probably go even longer.

I like the idea of parallel batteries to increase the amp hours. The is new to me and I am learning as I go and I appreciate everyone's input.

My goal is to remove the need to haul a cooler every weekend.

Once I get this dialed in I should be able to run the whole season without a cooler and ice. If my plan works out I think I can accomplish this with about $30 dollars worth of propane. This is more about convenience and not cost. Just trying to simplify the process.

660griz

Using 2 6v batteries will yield more amp hours than 2 12v.

Mostly true but, depends on the battery. Using 6v, you have to connect them in series to get 12v. This has no affect on amp hours. Whatever the amp hour of 1 of the batteries is what you will get.
Connecting batteries in parallel has no affect on voltage but, doubles the amp hours.
The problem is most 12v deep cycle are dual purpose that includes starting. Most 6v (golf cart) batteries are deep cycle only. Much better.
My goal is 4 golf cart batteries. 2 pairs in series and then paralleled.

Capt Quirk

Mostly true but, depends on the battery. Using 6v, you have to connect them in series to get 12v. This has no affect on amp hours. Whatever the amp hour of 1 of the batteries is what you will get.
Connecting batteries in parallel has no affect on voltage but, doubles the amp hours.
The problem is most 12v deep cycle are dual purpose that includes starting. Most 6v (golf cart) batteries are deep cycle only. Much better.
My goal is 4 golf cart batteries. 2 pairs in series and then paralleled.
The logic behind the 6v, is that they have thicker lead plates, therefore holding more amp hours. At least that is what I remember reading. I may be wrong. They did radiate my brain, killing more brain cells than all of the 1980's did.

660griz

The logic behind the 6v, is that they have thicker lead plates, therefore holding more amp hours. At least that is what I remember reading. I may be wrong. They did radiate my brain, killing more brain cells than all of the 1980's did.

Yep. They are made for that purpose. 6v is the way to go.