If it got really, really bad.....

Israel

BANNED
Watched the movie "Arrival" the other night. It was predicated on our concept of time and how that restricted our behaviors as humans and our future. It was an interesting concept that I am sure has some merit.

Like the Matrix, Arrival is multilayered to say the least.

So is "Predestination" more than just a trippy look at a thing.

oldfella1962

Doesn't have to be an amputee but an amputee would meet the criteria of good evidence. This is like asking "why can't it be the toss of the coin?" or "why can't it be me finding my lost wedding ring at the beach?". Because those things happen all the time anyway. An amputee regrowing a missing limb on the other hand...

My question for you is, why not an amputee? You're claiming supernatural intervention with unlimited power and the backing of scripture that says believers will be able to repeat Jesus' miracles and perform even greater ones. That's straight from his mouth according to your holy book. So why not regrow an amputated limb?

I think "miracles" are open to interpretation. Here's a real world example - the pastor of the church involved in the shooting was out of town at the time. Not knowing his schedule, but if he rarely misses a Sunday service then some would consider him not being there and getting shot would be a miracle - he very well might count that as a miracle. Others would say a lucky break. But nothing in his not being there defied the laws of physics. No "loaves & fishes feeding the multitudes" epic miracle here. If the shooters gun jammed & all his backup guns jammed too (if he had any) that would by golly be pretty close to a miracle, but sadly that didn't happen. :( Back in the bible days the entire town would witness gods supernatural events - blind people seeing, dead people rising from the grave, the sea parting just long enough to swallow up an entire army, people turning into a pillar of salt, the length of a day extending to give gods people more daylight to slaughter the enemy, you name it. Any everybody (saint & sinner) went away seeing the exact same no doubt about it miracle. Faith apparently had nothing to do with it. Now we have zero events that are witnessed by everybody that cannot be explained, except those with the faith to interpret the event as a miracle. :huh:

The bible says (paraphrasing here) that god is the same always. The god of the very beginning is the same god now, and always will be the same, nothing changes about his nature.

Yet now gods functioning & interacting with the world is much more subtle it seems. It's kind of like an abstract painting - 100 people see 100 different things looking at the same painting.

Not saying legitimate miracles and world changing interventions don't happen, but they are sure tucked away & hidden a lot better. For every child burning up in a car with the windows rolled up in the summer I would sure like to see a heavenly ice-cold air pocket surround the car, or even the parking lot would be fine by me. Or a flock of geese kamikaze into the car breaking the windows. Just sayin'. I don't need any huge miracles, just tiny ones where they matter.

ambush80

I think "miracles" are open to interpretation. Here's a real world example - the pastor of the church involved in the shooting was out of town at the time. Not knowing his schedule, but if he rarely misses a Sunday service then some would consider him not being there and getting shot would be a miracle - he very well might count that as a miracle. Others would say a lucky break. But nothing in his not being there defied the laws of physics. No "loaves & fishes feeding the multitudes" epic miracle here. If the shooters gun jammed & all his backup guns jammed too (if he had any) that would by golly be pretty close to a miracle, but sadly that didn't happen. :( Back in the bible days the entire town would witness gods supernatural events - blind people seeing, dead people rising from the grave, the sea parting just long enough to swallow up an entire army, people turning into a pillar of salt, the length of a day extending to give gods people more daylight to slaughter the enemy, you name it. Any everybody (saint & sinner) went away seeing the exact same no doubt about it miracle. Faith apparently had nothing to do with it. Now we have zero events that are witnessed by everybody that cannot be explained, except those with the faith to interpret the event as a miracle. :huh:

The bible says (paraphrasing here) that god is the same always. The god of the very beginning is the same god now, and always will be the same, nothing changes about his nature.

Yet now gods functioning & interacting with the world is much more subtle it seems. It's kind of like an abstract painting - 100 people see 100 different things looking at the same painting.

Not saying legitimate miracles and world changing interventions don't happen, but they are sure tucked away & hidden a lot better. For every child burning up in a car with the windows rolled up in the summer I would sure like to see a heavenly ice-cold air pocket surround the car, or even the parking lot would be fine by me. Or a flock of geese kamikaze into the car breaking the windows. Just sayin'. I don't need any huge miracles, just tiny ones where they matter.

atlashunter

If we redefine the term miracle to include unlikely events which are possible under the known laws of nature then yes miracles happen all the time. As you point out the claims of the religious go far beyond that.

Last night I had dinner in a jazz lounge. Wonderful musician was at the piano. He asked the crowd "what would you like to hear?". I didn't say anything but for some reason "Tell it like it is" came to mind. It was a small crowd and he didn't get any suggestions. What did he start playing? The song I thought of. Wow! What are the odds of that? Have to be pretty low I'd say. Was I impressed? Sure was. Does it require a paranormal explanation? Nope. Incredibly unlikely events are incredibly common. They only seem miraculous when we disregard all the misses and only look at the hits.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Atheists and Agnostics,

If it got really, really bad would you appeal to God just in case?

It happens more times than not.

red neck richie

They would all be on their knees asking for forgiveness. I'm glad its not up to me. I don't make the rules I try to follow them knowing I will fall short. Thank GOD for Grace. Definition for Bullethead and Atlas, the free and unmerited favor of God as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
They would all be on their knees asking for forgiveness. I'm glad its not up to me. I don't make the rules I try to follow them knowing I will fall short. Thank GOD for Grace. Definition for Bullethead and Atlas, the free and unmerited favor of God as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.
Easy to say, unable to prove.
Fantasy and fiction give you that luxury.

Men back up their claims