Buck with massive open wound

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Bullet. Tore off meat and hind when it exploded just a tad low.

bullgator

I had a dog get bit by a large rattlesnake in the throat area. The healing process looked very similar to that, even a little worse. He recovered just fine.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on a good buck. He may have survived that injury. Someone almost missed him

3 years ago I shot an 8 point buck that was chasing does. when I flipped him over he had the exact wound under his chest. It was not pretty as a matter of fact he was starting to smell but he was still chasing does. I brought him back to camp and my buddy said that is the same buck that he had shot at 2 weeks ago and we never recovered. I know this because I was out helping him track for hours. one night A low shot could of done this. the meat was fine also.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Very cool! Nice buck too congrats!!
We've killed deer with wounds before, not a big a s that but wounded. Deer shor are tough and they'll prove it from time to time with stuff like this.
Any good processor will generously cut out all that affected area and the meat you receive in return will be very healthy.

dick7.62

I killed one with a wound like that. I assumed it was a gunshot wound. The processor said it would be alright but I froze it for my dogs.

Old timer told me one time it was from breeding does kind of like a blister on are feet form wearing bad boots bubby kill one week back just like that he was running a doe

DrWally

Coyote bit him. Bit that other one too. Thats my imagination. Could be anything mentioned above. Never seen anything close to that, must've hurt him though, glad you took him out. I would guess themeat is good? Can it be bad from something like that?

spencer12

That deer was shot. Probably one of those where someone had the "perfect" shot. Someone was heartbroken no doubt. Amazing creatures.

I'd be almost certain he'd survive to.