Leasing land yourself

whchunter

Lease

I know some guys who lease and then sell guided hunts to others hunters. I don't know how it pays but since they keep repeating this action it appears it is profitable.

Long Cut

Only Lease worth paying money for is ducks IMO.. public deer hunting ain't bad if you know what you're doing. Smarter to take that $1k and put it into a separate bank account till you could put a down payment on your own land.

whchunter

Lease

I know some guys who lease and then sell guided hunts to others hunters. I don't know how it pays but since they keep repeating this action it appears it is profitable.

Mexican Squealer

I leased 450 acres here on the coast. Deer were small but abundant. Lease was covered up with snipe, woodcock, a few ducks and a ton of turkeys. Leased it for a couple of seasons at 8.00 an acre and it was fun. I own a few places but they are from 1.5 hours to 4 hours from home so it was nice to have a tract close by. Being "worth it" is all up to the one writing the check.

ProAngler

just depends on the price and quality of land. Wilcox is a good county. I would not be paying that much if you top end deer on average are around 135 inches. I would want to consistently have 150-160 inch deer on camera each year to justify spending 4-5k to hunt in georgia

Good luck finding a place like that.

ProAngler

Yeah.
And while I would love to own land spending all that money on 50 acres isn't worth it to me. I like to sit in different spots and have a little room. Its just money can't take it with you! If I had the money I would buy a big piece right her ein Ga and be happy with 130 inch deer for the rest of my life.

I'm with you on that one! I love hunting my home state and would be just as happy shooting a 130-135 here as a 160-165 in Illinois etc. Trophy is a relative term.

blueeyes1

Don't know of any place in GA you can consistently have 150 class deer on it just to many happy triggers out there!

hancock husler

Let’s be honest , if you have the money then go for it. Bright side is you can’t put a price on drama free

brownceluse

Let’s be honest , if you have the money then go for it. Bright side is you can’t put a price on drama free

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!!!! I lease 1,200 acres myself but it's owned by family. I've hunted it for years an never paid a dime and now I'm in a position where I can pay. It feels good to give back to my family and limit the pressure the way I want! I've been wanting to do it for years but couldn't swing the extra $.

Badsport

It's in Wilcox only hunt it myself. Actually lease 500 acres just wondering if anyone else lease that much land there self.Like working on land as much as hunting sounds crazy!Hard to find likewise people.

I lease +/- 470 acres in Wilcox county myself and love it. It can be hard work and I never get everything done that I'd like, but I have no drama. It's worth the price of admission.

whchunter

Better Off

IMO if you really want to shoot a 150 or better you're better off finding a great outfitter. If you just want a place to hunt and have a small chance of getting lucky enough to shoot a 135 then roll the dice and lease and hunt public land. The guys you see on TV pay (one way or the other) for the big deer they shoot.

Duff

I would hunt very little if I hunted alone all season. Don't get me wrong, I go a few times a year by myself. But the hanging out, camp fire, cooking, practical jokes, tracking your buds deer,.... etc is 90% of the fun to me. Not knocking it, just how I am.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I would hunt very little if I hunted alone all season. Don't get me wrong, I go a few times a year by myself. But the hanging out, camp fire, cooking, practical jokes, tracking your buds deer,.... etc is 90% of the fun to me. Not knocking it, just how I am.

This is me to. I like the camaraderie as much as the hunting