Tips on Controlled Burning

Redbug

I work for the Weather Service. Twice a day we put out a fire weather forecast. It's quite helpful.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=fwfffc&max=61

Also...

ADI IS ATMOSPHERIC DISPERSION INDEX BY LAVDAS.

1-6..... VERY POOR
7-12.... POOR
13-20... GENERALLY POOR
21-40... FAIR
41-60... GENERALLY GOOD
61-100.. GOOD
>100.... VERY GOOD

LVORI IS LOW VISIBILITY OCCURRENCE RISK INDEX.

LVORI RANGES FROM 1 TO 10 WHERE 1 REPRESENTS THE LOWEST RISK
AND 10 REPRESENTS THE HIGHEST RISK

Any questions...just ask...

ELIWAITS

Banned
Actually burning was a part of nature’s regeneration process throughout history but with the advancements in forestry techniques (Fire Control) nature needs a little help now in then. Control burning removes excess fuel from the forest floor. Burning exposes seeds and promotes new and young plants to regenerate once again.

i may be wrong but i think if you burn your land to enhance wildlife habitat your backing up i have never burned but they burn all around me and i wont say whos got all the wildlife in the area but it starts with M and ends in E:whip:

River Rambler

1] Plan the burn carefully,especially wind speed and direction.

2] DON'T get in a hurry,and don't get carried away with the drip torches.

3] Print out post #7 and take it with you and read it to everyone who will be firing.Make sure everybody understands what to do.

4] 4-wheelers and good communication are very important.Don't hesitate to call Forestry if it even looks like it's gonna get out.If you have a burn permit,it won't cost you anything for them to come out and ketch it.

Start as early as you can - the dew is gone and the wind starts to pick up around 11 a.m. or thereabouts.If you can get the downwind edge black before then, you'll be in good shape.Fire the downwind side right on the break and watch it carefully as you go.When you have the downwind break black 50 feet in,you're doin' good! Especially watch any places where the fire could jump the break - usually at the highest point.Try to be finished well before dark - you don't want your fire still actively burning much later than 3 or 4 in the afternoon.If you're doing a large tract - 100+ acres - it's better to cut cross breaks and do the burn over several days.With as much help as you plan to have,you should be able to burn it all in one day.As mentioned in post 7,strip firing is good.Don't fire your strips much more than 50 feet apart,unless you want a real hot fire.

If you'd like me to come help,send a pm.

They'll come out and observe it from the beginning if you want. They have direct connections with the FD and you will not be responsible for FD expenses if it gets out of hand.

Quickbeam

i may be wrong but i think if you burn your land to enhance wildlife habitat your backing up i have never burned but they burn all around me and i wont say whos got all the wildlife in the area but it starts with M and ends in E:whip:

What species are your talking about? There are other ways to mimic the beneficial effects of fire, but fire is often the cheapest to use on a large scale.

ELIWAITS

Banned
all species i assume the national forest is maintained in a manner in which is supposed to be beneficial to wildlife by burning about every other year but as far as wildlife goes its almost nonexistent on the land around me and we have good populatins of all animals and its not due to hunting because you see only a few deer and turkey hunters around us and they almost never kill anything

crackerdave

I work for the Weather Service. Twice a day we put out a fire weather forecast. It's quite helpful.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=fwfffc&max=61

Also...

ADI IS ATMOSPHERIC DISPERSION INDEX BY LAVDAS.

1-6..... VERY POOR
7-12.... POOR
13-20... GENERALLY POOR
21-40... FAIR
41-60... GENERALLY GOOD
61-100.. GOOD
>100.... VERY GOOD

LVORI IS LOW VISIBILITY OCCURRENCE RISK INDEX.

LVORI RANGES FROM 1 TO 10 WHERE 1 REPRESENTS THE LOWEST RISK
AND 10 REPRESENTS THE HIGHEST RISK

Any questions...just ask...
Good info! You can also go to "fire weather" at www.gatrees.org and then to "district forecast."
It's not an "instant" benefit.:)You'll see results in the next few years,in the amount of new plant growth for browse.It's a cheap,natural "foodplot."
They'll come out and observe it from the beginning if you want. They have direct connections with the FD and you will not be responsible for FD expenses if it gets out of hand.
Ga.Forestry will charge for a "burn assist." They will just stand by and observe,or they will assist you in the firing.They have a long list though,in many counties,and they may be too busy to assist on short notice.They will come out and catch an escaped burn,though - even if they have to leave another job to do it.

Quickbeam

all species i assume the national forest is maintained in a manner in which is supposed to be beneficial to wildlife by burning about every other year but as far as wildlife goes its almost nonexistent on the land around me and we have good populatins of all animals and its not due to hunting because you see only a few deer and turkey hunters around us and they almost never kill anything

Hmmm. The national forest isn't managed for general wildlife benefit; it's managed in a way to provoke the least amount of lawsuits from enviro-nuts. Fire is about the only tool the Forest Service can use on a large scale as I understand it.

Weevil

Pictures?

This has been a SUPER thread.

I know you guys will have your hands full with the burn, but if you get a chance it'd be great to see a few photos if there's time to snap some.

Good luck; sounds like you've got everything in order and planned well.

Mac

Great information,

I have read info online that stated late in the afternoon was also a good time to burn? We were planning to doing a burn in a couple weeks, but due to so many conflicts we had planned on doing a late afternoon burn after the wind dies down and humidity starts to rise again.

Is this not a good idea?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
i may be wrong but i think if you burn your land to enhance wildlife habitat your backing up i have never burned but they burn all around me and i wont say whos got all the wildlife in the area but it starts with M and ends in E

Indeed you are my friend. Continue to observe and you will change your view over time. It is highly likely that the reason you have game is because your neighbors burn their land.

Get with the program and be an asset to your neighbors instead of being a drag. You are the one "backing up".

Prescribed Burning has long ago proven itself as an asset to all forms of wildlife. Asuming that it is done properly and timed properly. For example, one should never burn when ground nesting birds can be expected to be nesting.

crackerdave

Great information,

I have read info online that stated late in the afternoon was also a good time to burn? We were planning to doing a burn in a couple weeks, but due to so many conflicts we had planned on doing a late afternoon burn after the wind dies down and humidity starts to rise again.

Is this not a good idea?

Not if you want a good burn.If your fire is still actively burning after dark,there's a good chance you'll have a smoke problem.I know of one death that occurred because smoke had caused poor visibility on a road,causing a wreck. As the one who initiated the burn,if that happens you and/or the landowner are responsible for whatever your fire does.

The very worst thing you can do on any burn is to get in a hurry.

HoCoLion91

I have a field of waist high weeds and sage brush that I plan to burn in Febuary after deer season, about 7 acres. My question is should I bush hog it first then burn ? There are a lot of knee high pine trees I want to get rid of also. Will post some pics later

groundhawg

I have a field of waist high weeds and sage brush that I plan to burn in Febuary after deer season, about 7 acres. My question is should I bush hog it first then burn ? There are a lot of knee high pine trees I want to get rid of also. Will post some pics later

Will do better if you bush hog it first.

HoCoLion91

Here is pic of field that needs burning. Bush hog and then burn? A friend told me to bush hog first. He said the tall stuff would not burn good.

Attachments

• big field 2.jpg
    big field 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 308
  • big field.jpg
    big field.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 307

deerbuster

If you are trying to get rid of the pines I would say bush hog first.

mossyoakpro

Bush hog the weeds then that loader on the front of your tractor you are riding in your avatar will take care of the small pines....then burn.