Rabun and Towns Counties?

lampern

looking at the game check results why are the deer harvest totals much lower in these counties compared to other mountain counties?

Last edited:

jfarrell30339

I hunt Union county and I can tell you the following...

I've been in woods many days this season and seen only one shooter buck. The does are spread out over way too much terrain and they are very hard to pattern given the scope of the size of the area. I also have seen a dramatic increase in coyotes and bear in my area all of which have led to a lower than normal fawn recruitment.

Mountain deer hunting is a different animal.

goshenmountainman

Habersham and White counties both have more flat rolling hills in the southern parts of both counties. Rabun and Towns and Union counties are mostly rugged mountains with low deer populations. Habersham and White both have good deer populations down in the flat parts of the counties.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
looking at the game check results why are the deer harvest totals much lower in these counties compared to other mountain counties?

I don't know what you're looking at. Union has more than most of any of the "mountain" counties. Rabun and Towns are very low. Personally, I wish Union was lower.

PappyHoel

I don't know what you're looking at. Union has more than most of any of the "mountain" counties. Rabun and Towns are very low. Personally, I wish Union was lower.

I agree but put Lumpkin on that list too. It's about shot out. I've hunted 18 times since bow season and seen 1 deer. It's not lack of hunting experience

Rabun

For Rabun I believe the low kill numbers reflect a low deer population due to the carrying capacity of the land and predators (bear and coyotes) and the fact that it is so mountainous and vast it is difficult to hunt.

tree cutter 08

Rabun was good bit lower last time I checked. It is rugged and rough and probably more bears than deer. Towns is similar. Lots of remote country that's hard to access and hard to hunt. The deer been killed out and bear numbers rose and its impossible for the numbers to flip back. Deer are just few and far between.

ArticSnake

Towns co has a lot of move in ppl that don't want deer shot. There's a lot of nf there, but a lot of it there's no access too. East side and south side of co is a lot of bears and hogs. North side and east size is loaded in deer but that's where most subdivisions are at and the deer stay in there where u can't hunt them. Take a ride behind young Harris collage at dusk or behind blue ridge emc. U will see tons of deer and massive bucks just can't hunt them

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I feel the same way about Union. Always amazes me when I hear folks talk about there not being enough deer and the next sentence they tell me about the does they shot (or shot at). It just makes no sense.

I'm guilty of that. I want more deer here, but I need to fill my freezer too.

The mtn man

I feel the same way about Union. Always amazes me when I hear folks talk about there not being enough deer and the next sentence they tell me about the does they shot (or shot at). It just makes no sense.

Exactly, I listened to the slaughter last weekend, good grief, probably the same ones that want dnr to stock more deer because they shot the 2 does they saw this year.

aj.hiner

It's mountain hunting. 5 sits not a single deer. Day 6 hit the rattle bag and here comes a chocolate rack freak busting out of the mtn laurel

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It's mountain hunting. 5 sits not a single deer. Day 6 hit the rattle bag and here comes a chocolate rack freak busting out of the mtn laurel

WORD!:cool:

I think alot has to do with so much land you just cant reasonably get to/hunt......thats why the pigs, bear and yotes are also growing in numbers. This is leaving less deer on top of the terrain.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Last year I saw a MONSTER at Pinelog, but he was moving too fast, too far away and I really wanted to shoot a hog anyway:D

cumberland

I agree Towns is tough but Union has a lot of Deer. Numerous big bucks from Union are brought into Mcclures Processing in Blairsville.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I agree Towns is tough but Union has a lot of Deer. Numerous big bucks from Union are brought into Mcclures Processing in Blairsville.

Keep in mind, deer are brought to McClures from 4 or 5 different counties.

The mtn man

Keep in mind, deer are brought to McClures from 4 or 5 different counties.

They get a whole bunch of business from the neighboring state, and hundreds of guys that have clubs down south bring their deer home to McClures.

Back40hunter

Something else to consider in these rough mountain counties is that you don't have too many folks hunting. Lot's of folks won't hunt the mountain terrain if they have anywhere else to hunt. Low hunter numbers will have an impact on harvest, especially when you have thousands of acres of NF with no one hunting on it.