Fail fail fail

boatbuilder

It's offensive.

Real Stripers are a legitimate gamefish.

Loudmouth bass are just an overgrown sunfish.

Lake Lanier does not have real stripers.

They should have kept the "big mouths".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen a red and black falcon, or a blue lion, either that I can recall. It's a logo.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
They're hoping to capitalize on men with poor reading skills. Guys will be lining up by the hundreds to buy tickets to see the strippers and then be awful disappointed when it turns out to be a baseball game.

StriperrHunterr

They're hoping to capitalize on men with poor reading skills. Guys will be lining up by the hundreds to buy tickets to see the strippers and then be awful disappointed when it turns out to be a baseball game.

Wait until they text their wives that they're gonna go see a stripper's game. If you guys only knew how many times I've been called StrippeRR HunteRR on here, most of the time not even joking.

Coenen

Why would you not want a baseball team named after a big mouth bass anyway?

What makes a striper a better mascot?
I'm pretty sure you praised the Striper's superiority to the "Big Mouth" just a few posts ago. I like the new name. I was not a fan of any of the other supposed options, so I'm glad they went a little different direction.

Didn't know the striped bass we catch at Lanier weren't real, though. Have another cup of espresso, and please elaborate. :bounce:

boatbuilder

The stripers in Lanier are born in a hatchery and dumped in the lake never see the ocean.

So I would think the big mouths would be a more fitting name.

Or how about calling them the "Gwinnett rainbows" after the trout that are stocked below the dam.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The stripers in Lanier are born in a hatchery and dumped in the lake never see the ocean.

Or how about calling them the "Gwinnett rainbows" after the trout that are stocked below the dam.

::ke:What's the difference?:confused:

Coenen

To borrow a turn of phrase from another common argument amongst men, "If I can see them, and touch them, then they're real." :biggrin2:

Last edited:

needmotime2fish

Terrible decision! And the reasoning given for that decision is a real stretch of the truth. Somebody came up with a name, and then tried to manufacture justification to support it.

According to the article -- "We wanted something indigenous to the area, something completely ours.... We did research on striped bass at Lake Lanier and found out Lake Lanier is one of the best striped bass places in the entire world."

Striped Bass are not "indigenous to the area", they are a SALT water species that several decades ago was discovered to be adaptable to fresh water, and since then has been stocked in Lake Lanier (and in many other lakes around the country).

Also, striper fishing might be pretty decent in Lanier, but it's definitely far from being "one of the best places in the world".

And last, but not least, MANY people are now calling the team, the "Strippers" - and not by mistake. This name will become the butt of many jokes, and that won't be good for Gwinnett.