Dog box for Tahoe

firewalker78

Had to let my pickup go this year and traded it for a good ole 2 door Tahoe, more room for the wife and kids to join me on hunts and all my junk. I'm wanting to build me a box to go on a hitch carrier. Just wondering if any of you have already done it and if so could I get some pics and dimensions.

firefightermpc

I new a fella that used a hitch style dog box and had his exhaust ran straight out the back of his SUV. I guess the fumes of the exhaust were to much for the dogs. He has good dogs, but when he had this set up they acted like the couldnt smell a deer at all.

The mtn man

A lot of bear hunters up here convert small trailers into dog carriers, works perfect

Bama B

I would be more worried about some one rear ending me. I would think the trailer would be safer and you would not have to worry about the fumes as much.

Scrapy

Banned
Had to let my pickup go this year and traded it for a good ole 2 door Tahoe, more room for the wife and kids to join me on hunts and all my junk. I'm wanting to build me a box to go on a hitch carrier. Just wondering if any of you have already done it and if so could I get some pics and dimensions.

How many dogs? I have a friend that back in the 1990s had a 1960s old green chevy truck. He had a homemade dogbox out of twoby fours and 2X4 wire. The whole thing was rickety. He asked me to help load his dogs. He backed up near the pens and I was to bring him a dog or two at the time and he would throw them in the dog box.
We proceeded and eventually the sides of that box started to stretch out. I kept feeding him dogs and he kept stuffing them in. Directly he was packing them in and the box was about to bust. Directly , I glance up and his thumb slid into a rectum. I pretended I did not see. He held up his hand and said "I think we have enough".

buck1

I had one on back of a Geo Tracker for beagles. I built a carry all to go in receiver hitch. Then built me a wooden box to slide right on top of carry all, it fit inside of angle iron. I then screwed the box down to carry all. I built it out of 2x2's and Luanne "sp??" plywood, it was 1/4 inch thick. Worked great. Might could get your local FFA Ag shop to build it for you..

Scrapy

Banned
How many dogs? I have a friend that back in the 1990s had a 1960s old green chevy truck. He had a homemade dogbox out of twoby fours and 2X4 wire. The whole thing was rickety. He asked me to help load his dogs. He backed up near the pens and I was to bring him a dog or two at the time and he would throw them in the dog box.
We proceeded and eventually the sides of that box started to stretch out. I kept feeding him dogs and he kept stuffing them in. Directly he was packing them in and the box was about to bust. Directly , I glance up and his thumb slid into a rectum. I pretended I did not see. He held up his hand and said "I think we have enough".
In my prepubescent days lot of folks had 20 head dog packs when they ate cornbread, mush and whatever Hog jowls and whatevers. Times have changed> HSUS inspects your pens and checks out the tag on your $20 bag of feed and if it has a sign of corn in it , then you are in for trouble. Running dogs are getting Endangered and Threatened and fixing to go Extinct. Granted, running dogs, even trail dogs and jump dogs never were considered to be the smartest of the lot, but they had their place and did their jobs till they matured and moved up the line . They were taken care of while 5 months rolled along out of season. Just beats me why HSUS took notions in their heads and be specking in toungues.

I recon I scared ya'll oft. Or just ain't got nothing to say.

Last edited:

Scrapy

Banned
I recon I runned ya'll oft or you just ain't got nothing much to say. I am Scrapy, not Scary, don't be ascared, talk to me,.

Scrapy

Banned
I had one on back of a Geo Tracker for beagles. I built a carry all to go in receiver hitch. Then built me a wooden box to slide right on top of carry all, it fit inside of angle iron. I then screwed the box down to carry all. I built it out of 2x2's and Luanne "sp??" plywood, it was 1/4 inch thick. Worked great. Might could get your local FFA Ag shop to build it for you..

Back in the day my buddy got to bragging about what a good welder he was. He sold me a dog box trailer would haul a half a dozen dogs but my coonhunting friend ( not him) buddy and me only had two. Buddy put a short tongue on that dog trailer and welded on a ball on my 1954 Chrylsers daddy cyar as a coonhunting ve Hick le. That toungue was so short it would jackknife in no time. Specially for a thirteen year old driver.

Tell you the truth. I got a regular old toolbox in front of my truck ahead of my Aluminum dog box . I drilled a hole in the toolbox and mounted some short chains, short enough as to if the dog went crazy he could not jump out. Where are you from?? I have no need for a wintertime box. They all huddle up if it get cold.

firewalker78

Thanks guys, a trailer really isn't practical for me in the woods. And I do not have my own pack of dogs, I only pick up or catch the other guys dogs when I kill the deer or if I cut them off, my exhaust runs out of the corners of the truck too.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Thanks guys, a trailer really isn't practical for me in the woods. And I do not have my own pack of dogs, I only pick up or catch the other guys dogs when I kill the deer or if I cut them off, my exhaust runs out of the corners of the truck too.

Get you a hitch haul and take by local fence company and they can build you one that would be light and well ventilated if you mainly want it to be helpful