FINALLY! first deer EVER and with a bow too!

ppdaazn

so funny story, deer kill after this incident when i got near my stand, I hold my bow under my arm so i can pour some doe pee under my shoes to cover some scent! dropped the bow! didnt think much about it. about 9:50 a big doe and her yearling showed up and was standing around 30yards away behind my stand. went full draw but didnt get a shot so i let down (I made so much movement it's not even funny, but i had good cover) they finally move around and the mama doe walked in 15yard and gave me perfect broadside shot. drew and aim, she didnt even know i was up there and trust me i made A LOT of movement (must be the smoke i suffocate myself in this morning). took the shot. nothing happened. deer just run back 10yards and wondered what the noise was. I thought i shot high. after few minutes they ran off. i held the bow up again and see where my shot went, noticed the sight was half an inch pushed to the right. looked up and saw the arrow in the tree.

so then i was disappointed and thought it wasnt my day. then 2 hours later, i thought i heard what sound like a deer walking over from a distant away. made some call, it didnt come. then i convinced myself that it from the squirrels and i was being hopeful. then i had to pee, stand up and went from my stand, made lot of noise. sat down, 2minutes later heard noise and looked over to the left, saw a deer approaching slowly, drew back but no shot, it was straight at me and slowly walked to where my pee was and checking it out. i aimed for the spine straight down, this time i was making sure the arrow was pointing at the deer. let it rip and went right through the deer, arrow sticking out from each end(it cut through the gut) deer got back up and stumbled 7yards to the side and dropped and died within a minute. I came down to drag it out and noticed a pile of green junk on the floor, so i immediately quarter it right there so the meat doesnt go bad. flipped it over and noticed it got a penis! well it turned out to be a button buck. it probably weight around 110lb.

anyways! I was wondering is it bad that i left the carcass near my stand? i was gonna gut it and take it home to butcher but with all that gut busted i didnt want to risk it so i took as much meat off as i could and left the rest there. would it ruin the area for future hunt?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
297.gif

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No, it won't hurt to leave it there, other deer won't pay it any attention. A 110# buttonbuck is a monster, btw, that's about the average weight for 1 1/2 year-old bucks around here.

ppdaazn

oh ok so i could wait a week or so before return there then. it was an awesome feeling getting that first deer!
I think it might be just under 100# undressed. #110 might be a little overestimate. just had my first ever venison tenderloin!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Just curious as to how much of that deer you left layin there?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Oh...congrats on the first deer, especially with a bow.

sman

Amazing.

Every bit of it. Just amazing.

Pneumothorax

oh ok so i could wait a week or so before return there then. it was an awesome feeling getting that first deer!
I think it might be just under 100# undressed. #110 might be a little overestimate. just had my first ever venison tenderloin!

You sure? Tenderloins are on the inside with the guts. My guess is they're still there.

The only problem I've had hunting near a gut pile is the dogs in the area coming to check it out. Gut pile was gone but the smelly leaves still brought 'em in.

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
It will stink to high heaven. Hope you don't mind the smell of decomp.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Congrats

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
so funny story, deer kill after this incident when i got near my stand, I hold my bow under my arm so i can pour some doe pee under my shoes to cover some scent! dropped the bow! didnt think much about it. about 9:50 a big doe and her yearling showed up and was standing around 30yards away behind my stand. went full draw but didnt get a shot so i let down (I made so much movement it's not even funny, but i had good cover) they finally move around and the mama doe walked in 15yard and gave me perfect broadside shot. drew and aim, she didnt even know i was up there and trust me i made A LOT of movement (must be the smoke i suffocate myself in this morning). took the shot. nothing happened. deer just run back 10yards and wondered what the noise was. I thought i shot high. after few minutes they ran off. i held the bow up again and see where my shot went, noticed the sight was half an inch pushed to the right. looked up and saw the arrow in the tree.

so then i was disappointed and thought it wasnt my day. then 2 hours later, i thought i heard what sound like a deer walking over from a distant away. made some call, it didnt come. then i convinced myself that it from the squirrels and i was being hopeful. then i had to pee, stand up and went from my stand, made lot of noise. sat down, 2minutes later heard noise and looked over to the left, saw a deer approaching slowly, drew back but no shot, it was straight at me and slowly walked to where my pee was and checking it out. i aimed for the spine straight down, this time i was making sure the arrow was pointing at the deer. let it rip and went right through the deer, arrow sticking out from each end(it cut through the gut) deer got back up and stumbled 7yards to the side and dropped and died within a minute. I came down to drag it out and noticed a pile of green junk on the floor, so i immediately quarter it right there so the meat doesnt go bad. flipped it over and noticed it got a penis! well it turned out to be a button buck. it probably weight around 110lb.

anyways! I was wondering is it bad that i left the carcass near my stand? i was gonna gut it and take it home to butcher but with all that gut busted i didnt want to risk it so i took as much meat off as i could and left the rest there. would it ruin the area for future hunt?

Congrads, I think you made the right choices. Deer see dead critters all the time by peeps losing them ran over or preditor kills.
I got a pet coyote pup last year from a feller on here & she love munchen on dead critters. If this is in SWGA I would love to bring my yotie to feed on it.
Thanks for sharing. good story.
All the way thru this story I was smelling what you where stepping in. T P hit it. we where there.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
That's one heck of a story. Gonna make your next hunt seem boring.

ppdaazn

Just curious as to how much of that deer you left layin there?

I left the head, guts, bones and hide. i got as much meat off as possible. yes i cut the 2 tenderloins inside after i got the hind quarter,back strap and some of that brisket, i dont like to waste food. gotta give credit to the smoke! went first 3 times i didnt do any scent control, nothing got near, smoked all my stuff up and they walked around me and didnt notice i was up there! i caught a little deer fever and almost forgot how to draw back properly lol. took a breath and compose myself.