Discovered the Dragon

kirby999

The fly that is . I read about it ,then found how to tie one . Today I fished one . In 4 1/2 hours I caught 30+ fish , mostly panfish , bluegill , redbreast , and a couple of shellcrackers . I even caught 4 or 5 yearling largemouths. It's a neat bug. kirby
Resizeoffish015.jpg
fish006.jpg
fish010.jpg
fish011.jpg
fish012.jpg

Last edited:

Sargent

Where were you fishing? I picked up a couple this past summer but never did anything with them.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yep ,those things are very productive pan fish flies.

allenww

Dragonflies

Paymaster, didn't you once post us a photo of your version of a Dragonfly?

I believe I remember thinking it looked like a whole lot of work.

wa

fishnpreacher

The rubber legged dragon, or "RLD" is one of the best warmwater flies there is. Easy to tie, fun to fish and productive
Hard to beat it

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Paymaster, didn't you once post us a photo of your version of a Dragonfly?

I believe I remember thinking it looked like a whole lot of work.

wa

I did ,but they are not hard to tie.

kirby999

Variations

What are some other productive variations on the RLD ? I tied a couple olive ones with olive round rubber legs and then I got to wondering about peacock herl body on an olive one. So I tied a couple of those too. Looks like it could be a killer . kirby

allenww

What are some other productive variations on the RLD ? kirby[/QUOTE]

Kent has several special flies he uses. Check out "FlyFishing West Georgia" (his website) for some others. Most guides would keep the winners private, but he puts his favorites right out there on the web.

KINGFISHER

Answered my own question....allen check out Ward Bean's Warmwater Fly Tyer. I found out the RLD is part of a whole series of bream flies. Other than that Ward's site is AWESOME!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice flies kirby. I use Wards site along with warm water flyfishing for ideas and instructions. Good to see ya here GBF

kirby999

Nice flies kirby. I use Wards site along with warm water flyfishing for ideas and instructions. Good to see ya here GBF
Thanks; I visit Ward's occasionally . It's good to hear from you . Wish I could shoot the recurve like I use to. kirby