Raising orphaned wild hogs???

caught

Ive been in the shoes your in many times. I never had the heart to let the orphaned piglets starve especially when I was usually the reason it happened. Sounds like youve already gotton some pretty good advise. One thing I have found that fattens them up quicker than goat milk or any formula is (microwave warmed) buttermilk! As they got a little fatter I would take honey buns and soaked them in buttermilk. They will fatten up quick and be ready for a yard pen more solid food before you know it. Ive got some hilarious videos of 3 2lbers running around my kitchen chasing each other.

cheezeball231

I got me one too

I've had him for 2.5 weeks. He was just getting teeth when I got him. Here's a pick from the first week and today. I use Unimilk and feed.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,889
  • DSCF0005 (2).jpg
    DSCF0005 (2).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3,007

caught

I've had him for 2.5 weeks. He was just getting teeth when I got him. Here's a pick from the first week and today. I use Unimilk and feed.

They are born with those teeth! Some of them are born with an impressive little set of mini cutters. I see alot of people on here reffering to russian boar. Here is the real deal. Ive been a breeder of pure blood (europeans) for years. They have a maximum of 4-5 piglets, not the large numbers as you see in feral pigs.

Attachments

• European Piglets born 9-06-2007 (6).jpg
    European Piglets born 9-06-2007 (6).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,851
  • pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2,823

Coon Dog

nice looking pigs

my dad raised some on cornbread and milk and i have had 2 to raise as well did not eat well at first then they would eat anything my kids loved it piglets would love for you to pet them but if you tryed picking them up it would hurt your ears had to give them away they get messy kids did not like it at first but they was happy they had a new home with more pigs gave mine baths with dog flea and tick soap they are a blast at first have fun

Clark_Kent

Well I'll Be....you are right CAL.
Best I can figure, they are about 10 days old now, flanks filling in like they are getting fatter!! Still eating about every 2 hours, with pelleted feed soaked to mush in water, then mixed into the UniMilk at feeding time. I've noticed the last 2 days, they were feeding like a frenzy to start with, then when the milk was about gone, they would settle down and finish the mushy pelleted feed...so we had some left over broccoli/mushroom/cheese omelet this morning and gave it to them. They picked at it and ate some. Then the wife ruined a pot of black eyed peas.....what the heck...they are eating that too mixed into their UniMilk! So I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about getting them weaned by the time they are 3 wks old!!
Caught--Yes, these little things had teeth when we found them, and umbilical cords that hadn't fallen off yet too, so I think they weren't but a day or 2 old. Your piglets have that striped pattern, so is that a European or Russian "wild hog" trait? Rather than this red, red w/ black spots feral hog color like the other in the litter. There were 6 in this litter. Bay dogs got one, the runt died after 2 days, leaves these 4 we got now.
Here's pics from minutes ago...after their last feeding.

Attachments

• Bacon10Days.jpg
    Bacon10Days.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,709
  • 10Days1.jpg
    10Days1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,670
i personally know a guy that raised one from a baby and he got up to about 350lbs. one day he got out in the yard and his wife went to get him back in the pen. she was on her monthly time if you know what i mean and the hog attacked her putting 37 stitches in her inside thigh. please be careful with them.

Clark_Kent

sounds to me like you just got you some new pets. i bet you dont make bbque out of those. your heart want let you do it. good luck. be sure not to sell them to someone who may train dogs with them. nothing against dog hunting for hogs cause i love it but you dont want to raise them up to be done like that. if you can legally release them into the woods i have 6000 acres thats loaded with hogs. a few more want hurt however you would have to contact dnr to see if you can do that. pm me if you need to.

These guys are "FUTURE MEALS" its my heart that tells me when I'm hungry its belly. I could have done what most would have done and left them to die but that aint me, Most of my meals come from what I kill or catch so when we found and caught the piglets and the guy that owned the property told the group of us "yall can have them if you want em cause I aint gonna do anything with them" knowing my wife loves babies of any kind/species/breed I immediately said "I'll take em and raise em up for the table". Turning them back out in the woods was never an option, I've got a 16'x16' pen waiting on em to be ready to outside. If you've got 6000 acres covered with hogs I'd be willing to help ya get rid of a few of them.
I put a box full of dirt in with em tonight they seem to love it been putting a handful of swine pellets on top of the dirt every now and then and they've been rooting around in it and eating the pellets.

mike

ClydeWigg3

They are cute. But I bet they would look good in a skillet too. :bounce: Aren't we terrible? I know I'm not the only one thinking that....

I like the striped one - wonder how long he'll have those stripes before he out grows them?

HUNTING GA

I've used bands for calves,but don't think that would work for pigs cause of where there located on the body May be wrong? We've always just cut them>

I belive your right Bryan, we have always had to cut them also, because your going to want to do before they get over 30 pounds. They will get pretty hard to handle once them get much bigger.

Clark_Kent

Well the castration went well we have removed the 2 male piglets from the gene pool after watching a youtube video that showed a guy tucking the piglet under his arm like a football and castrating it looked like the easiest way to control the little guys so I held em while my wife (vet tech) did the deed well what happened next was the piglets screaming and me screaming shortly there after the football trick didn't go over to well once the piglet clamped down on the sweet meat on the inside of my arm and yes them little cutters will draw blood.
They are also switching off the formula pretty good. 2 wks old last Thurs/Friday we guess. They are eating the pellets soaked to mush in water, then mixed to a thick gruel with a little formula......but eating a lot less milk now. And they slap tore up a large disposable foil pan 1/2 full of lasagna, the other 1/2 full of spaghetti a neighbor had leftover...so they brought it up for the pigs....LOLOLOL, they ate, and ate, and ate all night! It was all gone come morning. Pretty funny when they'd look up at you, standing in the middle of the pan, sucking spaghetti up both sides of their mouths!! So Hammy is now nicknamed spaghetti and Bacon is Lasagna.
Pics from end of last week.

Attachments

• 2009_012214DayPigs0005.jpg
    2009_012214DayPigs0005.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,488
  • WithBanana.jpg
    WithBanana.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Fat&Happy.jpg
    Fat&Happy.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,411

Hoghunter05

Hard to believe that one day that could have been a huge mean nasty boar with 3inch cutters that is about as cudley as an cactus!