deer and cow pasture

Reel Nauti

Will big bucks cross a pasture with cows in it? I normally hunt the pasture without cows, but my father in law decided to put cows on it yesterday. Anyone have experience with this?

NCummins

We used to hunt a cattle ranch and the deer would not come out in the same pasture as the cows. Even if the cows were 200 yards away.

bigbuckhunter1

They will. Generally, they will be on the opposite side as the cows.

Scrapy

Banned
I've seen deer eating out of the silage trough with cows but as far as they could be from cows. I recon they are bad about discriminating. Seen deer licking molasses wheels. And free choice mineral licks. Seen lots of deer tracks under the tanks with the burlap hanging for self applying insecticide. They aren't stupid, just prejudice.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
My lease used to have cows on it. Deer didn't pay cows any attention. Killed plenty deer in same pasture as cows.

meathammer

I hunt with cows every year. when they are on the end of field where stand is we sit somewhere else. these deer will not go near the cows

LineLife

Banned
I know people have different opinions....but before put cattle on my pasture I always saw deer in it in the early part of deer season. Now I never see a deer unless its running 90mph across it. They only cross at night now...strange but its not like you see on tv in Kansas.

Todd E

It has been my experience that deer will use a cow pasture, but not when the cows are within a close proximity. I'm referring to 500 yards or less……….and deer would leave if they spotted a cow. They would not come out until cows were gone either.

And I've hunted a lot of pastures.

Broncobird

It has been my experience that deer will use a cow pasture, but not when the cows are within a close proximity. I'm referring to 500 yards or less……….and deer would leave if they spotted a cow. They would not come out until cows were gone either.

My experience as well.

Scrapy

Banned

I coon hunt. I have turned my truck into a pasture and when I get out to open the gate, a dogs might get restless and bark in the box. When I shut the gated the dog cranks back up after I have wore him out , dumb dog. The light swing around and I see cows and deer. The deer lay down, not run off. They been nibbling with the cows . But that was after dark . So I can't say for sure.