Completely random

mhall11B34

No Bull here, Had a buddy not on this forum shoot a 7 point buck. Both ears had the tips cut straight off. Clean cut almost like a vet or something along those line had done it. Any ideas? have not been able to find any thing that covers this. Help please.

_BuckMaster_

Strange ... Not a clue!!!

mhall11B34

No, but i was wondering if it is something like they do when they neuter you cat. we had a cat spayed and the vet lopped off the tip of her ear. I was wondering if it was a mark for a possible procedure or something along those lines.

jigman29

i saw the cause of this once.we were cutting hay when I was a kid and every year we would hit a fawn or two and kill them.one year we ran over one and the top of one of his ears got took off like you said and it never moved.didnt kill it just cut his ear.ive saw deer being posted from time to time with one or both ears cut off and I firmly believe this is what causes it.

RE185

it's more of a challenge to set Real Still in a blind to get close enough to cut the tips of their ears off with scissors. LOL.sorry I couldn't resist I've never seen it I have seen the tips split and assumed it was from fighting.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
No Bull here, Had a buddy not on this forum shoot a 7 point buck. Both ears had the tips cut straight off. Clean cut almost like a vet or something along those line had done it. Any ideas? have not been able to find any thing that covers this. Help please.

Fresh cut or healed over ??

Sgt.USMC

i saw the cause of this once.we were cutting hay when I was a kid and every year we would hit a fawn or two and kill them.one year we ran over one and the top of one of his ears got took off like you said and it never moved.didnt kill it just cut his ear.ive saw deer being posted from time to time with one or both ears cut off and I firmly believe this is what causes it.

This sounds plausible to me...

MFOSTER

BANNED
Havn't seen ears cut like that but have seen v's on bottom of ears quite often usually happens around velvet shedding time