Need some help...

Nerf Warrior

My son gut shot a good 8 or 10 pt a little earlier this morning. I have hunted for more years than I care to mention but Ive been fortunate that Ive never had to track a gut shot deer. At the point of impact is alot of stomach contents, and I followed that content for about 15-20 yds. I stopped right there and marked the place. I watched him after the shot run wide open down a field road for about 100 yds or so. Im going over to look in a couple of hours. Any more suggestions?

oops1

Buzzard Expert
If you don't plan on calling a dog.. I'd give him a couple hours then pick back up on the trail. My son shot his first buck last weekend.. Deer hit the ground.. We high five and hug..climb down and deer is gone.. No blood hair or bile.. Walked for about an hour in circles and by pure luck..walked up on him about 200 yards from the where he was shot still alive. It was an emotional roller coaster . I hope y'all find him.

Havana Dude

If no dog available, or funds to pay for said dog, wait a little longer, and attempt to track the animal yourself. If you have a water source anywhere near by, that is likely where he ran to. If you know the water source exists, approach cautiously, the area closest to where he could have accessed it. Any small body of water could be where he is.Also, if blood runs out, look for disturbed leaves. Good luck, and don't take my comments as condescending. You said you've hunted more years than you care to discuss, I just figured ya'll might be a little shaken up over the possibility of losing him. :D Don't feel bad, I have tracked a many a deer, and usually find em. A couple years ago, I shot a buck, and he immediately just vanished. I waited , went out, saw the blood splatter, tracked about 30 yards then nothing. I did the circle method out about 100 yards, nothing. I called a buddy with a dog, and he went right to my deer, right in the middle of all my circling lol. He died in a small depression, and you could back off 20 yards and not even be able to see him.

Nerf Warrior

Ive tracked with min blood but never had to track gut shot. He was shot at 9:30. We are gonna wait until 12:30 and ease back over there. No dogs close to us. Ill probably take my German Shepherds on leash as they have actually trailed 2 for me before. Figure they might follow the gut easier than the blood. We are not getting in any hurry to go search though. And I do have my brother on the way to give us a few more eyes..

Last edited:

southGAlefty

One thing about it is gut shot is fatal. He'll bed close more times than not if not pushed. Given enough time you'll usually find him dead in his bed.

Nerf Warrior

Need some help.. Got Him

We found him. I called my brother and he came over. Went to start looking 2.5 hrs after shot. My brother found blood approx 200yd down the field road the deer ran down. My German Shepherds picked it up from there and worked the trail like a pro. We found the deer approx 1.5 miles from where he was shot. He was a big bodied deer, 4 good pts on right side and broken antler on left. We had been after him for a month now. Couldnt have found him without my dogs..Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the encouragement..

Attachments

• DSCN1050.JPG
    DSCN1050.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

35 Whelen

Awesome! Glad you found him! Maybe you should be on the tracking dog list now!

RE185

Good job.boy I bet that was a big relief to your son.losing a deer is one of the worst feelings I think I've ever experienced.

Nerf Warrior

I think those dogs earned some neck roast!
They were so full of deer from previous hunts this week that they couldnt hardly walk. The little one will be so full that she starts whining when she eats but she eats it anyway to keep another from getting it. They did get to sleep inside last night though. Ive shot a couple this year and watched them fall and would come back and get the dogs and let them go to it but yesterday was the first time that they have actually had to trail one like they did. I was surprised and proud of my dogs. The big one worked the trail slow and methodical and he would stop and check back on us if he got too far ahead of us. I didnt have anything to lose by trying them and they may not ever trail another one but yesterday they showed out. I hope they continue on in this fashion because we need some tracking dogs in this area.