What is your next project on your hunting land?

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks!

2018 we are working hard to maintain our plots and add some new ones.

This is a rough start.

We are out of lock decks and fields we can use so we are working some 5th rows.

Tough work and very hard on equipment. Disc is all busted up right now - but what’s new?

Had 10 tons of lime delivered, still have about 4 tons left for these areas.

Come October, we will plant oats / wheat and clover.

What are your major projects this year?

Attachments

• 165D8476-0B7E-42B9-8EE2-D421AC02238C.jpg
    165D8476-0B7E-42B9-8EE2-D421AC02238C.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 699
  • F5AE5F29-C8BE-4547-889A-40E6EC31ABBC.jpg
    F5AE5F29-C8BE-4547-889A-40E6EC31ABBC.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 699
  • C1CDCCD2-CE08-490F-8D59-90D2AA05E4B7.jpg
    C1CDCCD2-CE08-490F-8D59-90D2AA05E4B7.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 700
  • 5CAFBF23-936E-4A53-9354-A3F57AD3D5B4.jpg
    5CAFBF23-936E-4A53-9354-A3F57AD3D5B4.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 698

Glynr

Jim,
What is your mixture that you plant( how much of each). Looking at some of the plots on here the cereal grains looks a little thinner than mine and a lot more clover. My plots the cereal grain got about 4' high and probably shaded out a lot of my clover. The forester said he has never seen clover as good in a field but it needs and have already cut a lot because you couldn't see a turkey in the field. I am waiting for the loggers to get finish so I can get a dozier in and then lime truck.

Worlldbeater

Plant some millet and chufa. Mow my access trails and harrow my fire breaks. Repair my bridge across the creek. Check my trail cams. post signs on the land lines. Remove the trees that blow down in the road. try to avoid the yellow jacket nests. Remove logs from the creek so I can canoe it without porting so much.

Jim Boyd

Glynr,

I plant about 75 lbs of oats and about 20 lbs of crimson clover for my annual plots.

We have two test fields of ladino clover and I believe we put 75 and 15, respectively.

I mowed the two ladino plots yesterday, the oats and wheat were about 36-40” tall.

Good luck!

sghoghunter

This will be my first yr in a club that my brother took over this yr. They planted oats in the plots in the fall but my plan is to plant buckwheat in three plots for summer plots. I sprayed them last weekend and plan on tilling them up in two weeks. Would love to be able to mow roads and trails the same weekend but not sure we will have time. One thing I would love to do is get the forestry in and plow breaks but not sure how the timber is on that

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We have a 3000 acre club. There's always something to do. We have a work weekend coming up next weekend. The prez has a couple projects planned for me as the camp carpenter. One of them is to rehab the 20+ year old out housefacepalm:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The usual stuff - mow, spray, turn dirt, lime, turn dirt, plant. In between maybe build a couple more box blinds. I need to build a 24 x 24 shed in camp to get my trailers and the rest of my implements out of the weather. Not looking forward to that one at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been creating more transgendered persimmon trees.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Jim we don't really have projects at my place we just sort of post up and shoot deer, but- our clearcut, whic has produced nice bucks twice a year for 5 or 6 years, have gotten to jungled up and at this point pretty much unhuntable. Probably shouldve burned it this spring. It will be a project soon- probably bulldozing/bushhogging shooting lanes.

Jim Boyd

Man, I love those deer jungles, DixieCutter.

Being archery only, hunting these edges is a great tool.....

Yep, lanes in them would be a great thing.

Good luck!

Jim Boyd

NCHB that is one area we are lacking - planting trees. I am older now and I know my time is limited but still no excuse.....

kevincox

Get some areas of thick privet trimmed up so I have some good shooting lanes and easy scent free entry into stand

Mexican Squealer

Corn is planted, Chiwapa Millet and Rex rice over the next few weeks. Working over the hogs with thermal and killing as many pine goats as the law allows come Aug 15. Ducks gotta eat...GA farms, maintaining clover plots.

Early Riser1

Jim, our log decks have quite a bit of decayed tree trimmings from a cut several years ago. Any suggestions on how to deal with that before planting?

Lilly001

I just had the rear mfwd pumpkin replaced on my green machine.
900$ worth of "I don't know what happened. I was just disking the foodplot".
Now to the real work.
I have about an acre in an established plot where we piled up the brush. So it needs burned and disked up. Then planting the summer plot mixtures in the new and existing plots.
I may be done in time to plant for the fall.