Anchor

Rabun

I have a 24.5 foot bay boat and all I need to do is drop the Minn Kota and hit spot lock===anchored. I also have a standard fluke anchor with 200' of rode which I rarely use.

What kind of boat do you have and what conditions are you typically looking to anchor in...depth, current, bottom structure?

TAS

I like fortress anchors really grab the bottom and light. Would love to have a Min Kota....looking into it soon!

leftystar

I have seen the I pilot anchor in current where the cans were canted a good bit from the current. It held fine. It was a 36volt and maybe a 101 lbs but you know its got to eat up batteries anchored in current like that. $$$$$$

Angel Eyes

Thanks Rabun exactly what I will get in #13. Going to cheat one size bigger. Do y’all ever think the sound of trolling motor spooks fish especially in tight quarters fishing close to boat.

Rhodes

We bought the Motorguide XI5 for our 20' Seafox. A must have for me now. Purchased it from Hodges Marine and saved hundreds!

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I have a 24.5 foot bay boat and all I need to do is drop the Minn Kota and hit spot lock===anchored. I also have a standard fluke anchor with 200' of rode which I rarely use.

What kind of boat do you have and what conditions are you typically looking to anchor in...depth, current, bottom structure?

I've heard that spot lock will dump you when you aren't paying attention.. Is that true?

pic217

I have been using the Minn Kota spot lock for about 6 years now. Mine is 36 volt and we fish all day(8 hours) and the batteries hold up fine. Best money I ever spent to fish the Georgia coast.

Steve762us

Do y’all ever think the sound of trolling motor spooks fish especially in tight quarters fishing close to boat.

It does...watched some trout under a dock light scatter
like cockroaches, when a skiff came creeping up on trolling
motor. Boat wasn't even within 30' of the light when they
scattered.

Rabun

I've heard that spot lock will dump you when you aren't paying attention.. Is that true?

While you'r on spot lock, the motor will turn on without warning as the boat "drifts" and return you to the marked location. Depending on the conditions...constant winds and current...the motor usually stays on all the time and will throttle up and down based on location. I've never had it "thrust up" to the point it left me off balance, but I guess it is possible depending on conditions.

Rabun

I have seen the I pilot anchor in current where the cans were canted a good bit from the current. It held fine. It was a 36volt and maybe a 101 lbs but you know its got to eat up batteries anchored in current like that. $$$$$$

I've got the 36 volt...112 pounds of thrust. I have not run out of juice yet...knock on wood.

JackSprat

When I was working and fishing in SE GA, about two boats a year had serious issues because they had no anchors.

I remember one boat in particular that was fishing in Altamaha Sound, engine quit, no anchor - they were lucky when they got picked up off Jacksonville Beach, and not the Canary Islands. 3 days drifting with the tides.

An anchor is vital safety equipment IMO, even in my little 16 foot skiff.

In saltwater, the Danforth style. I used a knock off brand, one size larger than recommended with chain, shackles and more than enough rope.

Rabun

When I was working and fishing in SE GA, about two boats a year had serious issues because they had no anchors.

I remember one boat in particular that was fishing in Altamaha Sound, engine quit, no anchor - they were lucky when they got picked up off Jacksonville Beach, and not the Canary Islands. 3 days drifting with the tides.

An anchor is vital safety equipment IMO, even in my little 16 foot skiff.

In saltwater, the Danforth style. I used a knock off brand, one size larger than recommended with chain, shackles and more than enough rope.

I agree with you 100%! A properly rigged anchor on board is considered a standard safety item on my boat as well.

Scallen2112

Sounds like no radio either, if they drifted all the way to Jacksonville. Doh!

GeorgiaBob

Any Danforth style anchor, around 15 pounds, will hold your boat on most of the bottoms you find along the GA coast (if you try to anchor over thick grass - expect to have problems no matter what kind/weight of anchor). I strongly recommend 15 feet of galvanized, or stainless, chain, instead of the 6' often sold on "kit" anchors. The weight of the extra chain will help keep the anchor shank down so the flukes will bite into the bottom. More important, there is a lot of "stuff" on the bottom that can saw at a rope rode as the boat moves with wave, wind, tides, and current. It is not pleasant to discover you are drifting along without an anchor after something sawed through your anchor rope. With a 15' chain, that misfortune is very unlikely!

Also, it is good anchoring practice to use a scope of 5 to 1 for a "day hook", that would be 5 feet of anchor line played out for every one foot of depth. (If you anchor at a depth of 10 feet, use at least 50 feet of anchor line and pay attention to tides.) If you are in protected waters (tiny waves, some wind protection), and fishing, you will likely use much less, but expect to drag an anchor if you use anything less than 3 to 1 scope.

Good luck, good fishing.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A good rule of thumb on anchor chain is 1/2 of boat length in chain.
Example: 20' boat = 10' of chain.