lifetime tamarack

redman2006

Does anyone have any experience with these? We are looking for three inexpensive fishing type lake kayaks for our family. One store has these as a three pack for $1000. If they are at all decent, I would like to try them. We are new to sit on tops and lake fishing this way but we have been a whitewater family for a while.

These are 10 fott boat with a 275 lbs weight rating. The heaviest of us, me, is 220 My wife and daughter together just barely weight what I do, but they are both tall.

Our hope is to be able to use these as a paddle about to some back woods lake camping, fish and generally have fun.

We are going to have a pontoon boat available to us as well, so we will try to take them with us on the big boat for fun in the shallows.

Ideally, I would like to duck hunt from mine as well. if the kayak is stable enough, with my lab. I have done this in a canoe previously, but it is no longer available to me.

We are up for other suggestions, but the $1200 mark for 3 is about all we can afford at this time, so a $1000 boat is out of the question.

Thanks for the help.

CDW

Wal mart sells these now for $279 apiece so that's less than $900. I have one and it's a great kayak for the price. It's stable and tracks well in a lake... I've never tried it in a river. It's light enough to carry and sits comfortably. Not sure how it would be for duck hunting but for fishing it's a great kayak.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I'd try to find a 12 footer for yourself,10 footers might be fine for your wife and daughter

61BelAir

I'd try to find a 12 footer for yourself,10 footers might be fine for your wife and daughter

I agree....you could grab those 2 from Wal Mart for them and pick up something a little bigger for yourself and still be within your budget.

CDW

12' might be better...never had one, but I've never been fishing in mine and thought "man I wish I had 2 more feet on this thing". I just fish and enjoy!

redman2006

Thanks guys. I thought about the 12, but was not sure since this one has a higher weight rating than most of the 10 ft

I think we will give it a whirl if walmart has them locally. the three pack is an order and ship deal from competitive edge.

The 12 with a dog would probably be a necessity. Does anyone take a dog out on their lake kayak?

Steve762us

I'm pretty green to kayaking, but I'd wonder about the dog getting back aboard, and tipping. How much does your lab weigh?