Found a few today. I'd appreciated

2bbshot

Same hillside of a plowed field with a creek in the bottom. Over 3 years I've got about 50 perfect points and 200 broken ones like the top pic. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 516

2bbshot

The jury is still out on the round rock it has a few flaked on it fits the hand like a glove could have been some typ of hammer. Just didn't match the rest of the rock around it at all. It was in the creek bordering the field. Still yet to find a point in that creek literally 50-100 yards from where I find these in the field. There has to be some in there and hopefully unbroken

MIG

Top pic: Looks like possibly three rough preforms / 2 pieces from middle-late Archaic stemmed points, although the base portion may be from a Small Savannah River point which, if it is, may bleed over into the Woodland period. Pottery, I ain't much help with - looks like some sort of Complicated stamping, possibly Savannah Complicated. Don't know about the stone.

Bottom pic: To me, looks suspiciously like an Alchua. Whatever it is, I'd say it's in the Archaic Stemmed cluster.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Really nice finds! The whole point is a mid-late Archaic stemmed point, Alachua or Newnan or something related. Top photo has a broken Savannah River point, another one that's broken to the point I can't make a guess on the ID, and three unfinished preforms. The pottery looks to be stamped, but I don't know much about pottery. The round rock from what I can see looks like a nodule of chert.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Top pic: Looks like possibly three rough preforms / 2 pieces from middle-late Archaic stemmed points (i.e., Small Savannah River, Arredondo, etc) . Pottery, I ain't much help with - looks like some sort of Complicated stamping, possibly Savannah Complicated. Don't know about the stone.

Bottom pic: To me, looks suspiciously like an Alchua. Whatever it is, I'd say it's in the Archaic Stemmed cluster.

We were typing at the same time. When I hit the post button, I saw that you had already just said the same thing I was saying. Great minds think alike lol.

MIG

We were typing at the same time. When I hit the post button, I saw that you had already just said the same thing I was saying. Great minds think alike lol.

I was just about to say the same thing! :cheers:

LOL I was revising my post when you posted. I've just recently run across a point referred to as the Small Savannah River - I had never heard of it until just a few days ago. Apparently they are a bit younger than plain ol' run of the mill Savannah River points. I've got a handful of 'em, all found in relation to river bottom areas / pottery.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was just about to say the same thing! :cheers:

LOL I was revising my post when you posted. I've just recently run across a point referred to as the Small Savannah River - I had never heard of it until just a few days ago. Apparently they are a bit younger than plain ol' run of the mill Savannah River points. I've got a handful of 'em, all found in relation to river bottom areas / pottery.

I find those small S.R.s in most of the same places around here that I find the big Savannahs/Appalachians. I think myself that they were probably made at the same time, and the excavations at some sites around here seem to mostly bear that out. Think about it-reckon they tied that 6" long, two pound big Savannah River point on the end of an atlatl dart, or reckon they used it to chop stuff up with, and made a smaller point to tip their projectiles? :)

MIG

NCHillbilly, I suspect you may well be right. Unless they were used on thrusting spears, no doubt those big blades were knives - and short of self-defense, I'm not sure what practical use a thrusting spear offered during the Late Archaic / Woodland period.

The references I used, I'm sure, rely on radiocarbon dates that apparently show a disparity in time frames between the "small" and "large" Savannahs. The issue with dates is (and you already know this): The Archaic didn't come to abrupt halt 2950 years ago, and some Woodland cultures existed while other peoples were still in the Archaic. When we try to say something is absolutely "this" or absolutely "that", we run the risk of backing ourselves into a corner...much like I did in my post.:O

2bbshot, I think Kawaliga ID'd the pottery you have in another thread. He indicates "Napier complicated stamped, AD 650-850, late Woodland phase."

Last edited: