Breakfast sausage?

ky55

Anybody make their own breakfast sausage?
Our last batch made 16 pounds.

Total cost about $25.

:biggrin2:

K80Shooter

I make it sometimes. I try to catch boston butts on sale and use legs old plantation. I use a 25lb package and make about 20lb with it, I like the taste much better this way.

Jeff Raines

Yep,made 25lbs with one of the deer I killed using Cabelas breakfast mix.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I use old plantation seasoning! I grew up working in my grandfather's butcher shop.. He thought me so much about properly butchering hogs, beef and deer. Its definitely a work of art to make proper balanced breakfast sausage. But when you get it right.... There is know comparison to the taste verses store bought sausage ...

ky55

Yep, best we've found yet! Our grocery store has it on the bottom shelf of the spice section.

We catch the whole pork loins on sale for $1.49 per pound and the store grinds it for free. Then we add the seasoning according to directions on the package, mix it up in an old metal dish pan, and wrap it up in one-pound packages.
It's so dang lean you gotta put a little grease in the skillet to keep it from sticking!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Leggs Old Plantation #10 is the best sausage seasoning you can get. I haven't made any in awhile, found a nearby place that raises their own hogs and makes it the same way I do, so I just buy it from them.

ky55