Bank Fishing Lanier - Introducing a kid to fishing

Slappy

I want to take my young son fishing, but a fisherman I have never really been so I am fairly clueless past a cane pole on a dock with my grandfather when I was little. Only boat I have access to currently is a sit-in kayak and he is a bit more active than I was so sitting with a cane pole on a dock is not going to be the best way to introduce him to fishing. So, I am planning to take him bank fishing.

I realize we are going to more than likely leave without any success, but I would like to try our best. Any suggestions for bait and locations would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for your honey hole, but parks that might be better than others would be great.

Coenen

A couple of suggestions. First and foremost, I wouldn't bother with Lanier.

1. Take him to Buford Trout Hatchery and fish the "Family Pond" they have there. A tube of crickets, or some worms and a bobber will catch you some fish, no doubt. It's stocked with bream, bass and catfish. See about getting a tour of the facility too, it's pretty neat, I dug it a lot as a kid. They've got some nature trails and other stuff too. It's really a cool place to introduce a kid to the outdoors.

2. If you're in west Forsyth County, go to Poole's Mill Park and fish the area around the covered bridge. Same deal, a tube of crickets and a slip-bobber is all you need. Go EARLY if it's a weekend. Fish either the park side bank, or go across the bridge, wade in a little, cast across from the falls, and let your bait drift near some of the overhanging trees. When the bobber goes down, reel in your fish. Action should be fast and furious for small bream and catfish, with maybe the odd bass. Special bonus, if your little one gets bored, you can stow the fishing gear, and splash around in the falls.

3. Go up to Amicalola Falls and fish the pool at the base of the falls. It's stocked with trout, easy to access, and pretty much a no-brainer to fish. I think they allow powerbait up there, so grab a couple different colors, and setup a basic bottom rig. Just split shot, and a hook. Cast out, wait for results. You might try a spinner like a rooster tail up there too. If fishing doesn't work out, there are nature trails, or you can drive up the hill and check out the falls from the top.

4. Dockery Lake, this one is up near Suches, it's a little tough to find if you've never been there before. Access is a little more challenging for some of the spots, but there are plenty of easy places too. The lake is stocked pretty heavily with trout, but also will have some bream and catfish available. Either the split shot / bottom rig, or bait under a slip bobber will do the trick without much of a fuss.

Any of those should get you out there, and having a good time without too much grief.

EDIT: For either of the trout places, bring a cooler and keep what you catch. With a little lemon butter, salt and pepper those trout will cook up great on the stove or the grill.

Last edited:

castandblast

very good advice there above. I might add that depending on your son's age, i might hire a guide as well. It would be well worth the money of getting him on fish and you both could learn a lot.

OwlRNothing

I totally agree with Coenen. I say take him to all of those places. :) Not sure what side of Lanier you are on, but if you happen to be on the west side, Lathem Res. has some limited bank access where you're probably good for at least some decent bream and maybe a bonus catfish or bass. Worms or crickets fished out 20 ft. from the bank should bring some action. Another place for some bank fishing is Yahoola Res. in Dahlonega. The fish will probably be smaller than other places, but they are usually willing biters around where the people feed the geese and ducks. Under the bridge can be good for crappie, too. It can be really busy on weekends though. Good luck and take some pics to show us! :)

henryc

Slappy

Great to here you are going to introduce a youngster to fishing! Here is what I have done when bank fishing that will make you an instant hero!
Pick out a spot to fish (lake or pond) and go there the afternoon before to scout out an easy place to fish. Before you go, make up a concoction of cat food, corn niblets and bread. Mix it together with a little water in a bucket and make little meatballs out of the mixture and toss them all around the area you plan on fishing the next morning. You have now chummed the area... Bring remainder with you in the morning and chum a tad more. Now get your pole ready with your child and have at it! Works like a charm...

Henry