Weight Limit Bridge (abuse)

95g atl

Folks,

We have a small (and older) 10 ton weight limit bridge. There are no fewer than 5 signs in a 1/2 mile stretch warning trucks of this. (signs also state no more than 10 wheels). However, we average (that I see) about two violations were day. There is a new construction project in the area so there are dump trucks, cement trucks, and 18 wheeler delivering lumber and supplies. Along with the occasional low boy hauling an excavator or dozer. Obviously all over are 10 tons.

Many of us have expressed concerns (to the city) over the heavy trucks potentially damaging the bridge. Hasn't helped the situation with the exception of more street signs that are ignored.

Who should we address our concerns to?
Would video evidence assist with prosecution?

Many of us hate to be utter jerks about it, however, once the bridge fails it is going to be the people that live here inconvenienced, not the drivers that blatantly ignore the signs and are too lazy to drive the extra 1.5 miles around the bridge.

I'm looking for positive and constructive answers....thx.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Is this a state,county or city maintained road?

GoldDot40

DOT enforcement.

Yep, Federal Motor Carrier Compliance Officer. Look them up in the phone book...or call *GSP. The troopers will let them know.

However, if they have legitimate business to/from on that road...and it's the only way to get there, they likely won't do much about the enforcement.

95g atl

Is this a state,county or city maintained road?

as mentioned, City

Yep, Federal Motor Carrier Compliance Officer. Look them up in the phone book...or call *GSP. The troopers will let them know.

However, if they have legitimate business to/from on that road...and it's the only way to get there, they likely won't do much about the enforcement.

There is another way, it is just about 1.5 miles longer.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I would add that more calls might be better than one. Get your neighbors to report and complain also.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Send e-mails to the city manager,mayor,counsel members,as well as the police chief.
Get as many people as possible to do the same.
Also call them every day if possible.
They will eventually get the message.
Took me 8 years to get the noise ordinance to a commercial business enforced in Snellville.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
This sounds like Martin Farms Rd.
I did a project in a subdivision off of it last summer and this was a concern of the residence then, and Suwanee police were doing a moderate job of monitoring the overweight traffic at that time.

I take it from your comments that has ceased, or at least relaxed to an unacceptable rate.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/permits/Documents/Rules/Title32.pdf

§32-1-9. Enforcement of provisions.
It shall be the duty of all state and local law enforcement officers to enforce any provision of this title which
states that any act or omission is unlawful.

also see

§32-6-26. Vehicle weight limits. (lengthy)

Organize a meeting among all neighborhoods effected by this violation. Get legal representation and have a legally penned letter sent to the local City Officials as well as the State DOT. (serve notice)

Wouldn't hurt to get a local news agency involved either. Local Municipalities hate that kind of exposure.

95g atl

I did a project in a subdivision off of it last summer and this was a concern of the residence then, and Suwanee police were doing a moderate job of monitoring the overweight traffic at that time.

I take it from your comments that has ceased, or at least relaxed to an unacceptable rate.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/permits/Documents/Rules/Title32.pdf

§32-1-9. Enforcement of provisions.
It shall be the duty of all state and local law enforcement officers to enforce any provision of this title which
states that any act or omission is unlawful.

also see

§32-6-26. Vehicle weight limits. (lengthy)

Organize a meeting among all neighborhoods effected by this violation. Get legal representation and have a legally penned letter sent to the local City Officials as well as the State DOT. (serve notice)

Wouldn't hurt to get a local news agency involved either. Local Municipalities hate that kind of exposure.

very good sir. Yes, that is correct location. Asphalt job?

I have contacted the City Manager several times....the issues stop for a week or two, then resume. At this point, I don't want to keep bugging the city. They can make one's life a living heck when it comes to get permits and inspections, etc.

I'd rather go right to the enforcing agency and have them investigate it.

Again, don't want to be a jerk about things, but if/when that bridge fails, it will be a royal hassle for the people that live in this small community.

Thanks again for that info.

j_seph

very good sir. Yes, that is correct location. Asphalt job?

I have contacted the City Manager several times....the issues stop for a week or two, then resume. At this point, I don't want to keep bugging the city. They can make one's life a living heck when it comes to get permits and inspections, etc.

I'd rather go right to the enforcing agency and have them investigate it.

Again, don't want to be a jerk about things, but if/when that bridge fails, it will be a royal hassle for the people that live in this small community.

Thanks again for that info.
Have you attempted to contact the dump truck company and other truck companies about what their employees are doing with their trucks?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Have you attempted to contact the dump truck company and other truck companies about what their employees are doing with their trucks?

Won't do any good. They are taking the most direct approach to the job, saving their company time and money.

News media would be the best outlet to shed light on this without revealing who you are, avoiding the permitting and inspection debacle that exist in the City of Suwanee.

j_seph

Won't do any good. They are taking the most direct approach to the job, saving their company time and money.

News media would be the best outlet to shed light on this without revealing who you are, avoiding the permitting and inspection debacle that exist in the City of Suwanee.
Back in the day when I drove a cement truck and a dump truck if my boss knew I was crossing a bridge overweight there would be repercussions.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

They do a better than excellent job of "monitoring" red light runners and speeders on McGinnis Ferry at Buford Hwy. I'm surprised they aren't downright militant about overweight traffic on that bridge.