Planning trip to the Florida Keys

MudDucker

Staff member
Every town has their secret eatery that they don't dare share with the tourist. ;)

You DON'T want to find that restaurant in Key West. You DON'T want to emulate those locals. facepalm:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Oh I just noticed you have Savannah on your possibles list.

I must agree with mudducker that Pirates House is great. But I dont know if they do lunch or not.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Been a couple of years, but I liked staying on Sugarloaf. Not far to drive back to after a full day and evening in Key West. I would use Trip Advisor to give current information on motels and restaurants.

Before you get to the Keys, there is always Joe's Stone Crabs on Miami Beach.

Looking for good restaurants that are must eat at locations for these stops.

Jekyll Island - too long to touch

Tampa - Columbian in Erbor City

Key Largo - Blond Giraffe Key Lime (awesome) Mrs. Mac's and the best with you in mind - The Buzzard's Roost!

Marathon - 7 Mile Grill

Key West Harpoon Harry's is still kicking and well rated. The new kid on the block that I haven't tried, but I hear their desert, especially key lime pie is top drawer is "Better than Sex" restaurant.

Palm Beach - Flagler Steakhouse

St Augustine O'Steins or Schooners for fried Shrimp. (less wait and same shrimp at Schooners), Cap's on the River

Savannah Mrs. Wilkes, Pirate House, Pink House and many more.

:cool::cool::cool:

cracker4112

My two cents...Shepards is not really in Tampa, its at the beach, so depending on where you are staying, it can be a good 1 hr drive out there. Not that there is anything wrong with going to the beach! When we go to Clearwater Beach, we don't go to shepards, we go to Frenchy's. The original cafe is a locals type spot, and the beachside location is more touristy, but the view can't be beat. Fresh local seafood from their own fleet of boats. The Cajun Grouper sandwich or the Gropuer Reuben are the way to go!

In Tampa, we have a lot of really good restaurants, from $$$ to $. A list we enjoy:

Bern's $$$ Famous Steak house
Malios $$$
Carmines $ Ybor City get the deviled crab.
La Teresita $ Authentic Cuban in West Tampa
Ducky's $ Upscale bar food, mini bowling, your boys will love the wait staff
Columbia $$ Touristy but it has been open for over 100 years
Ulele $$ same owners as the Columbia nice location on the river
Big Rays Fish Camp $$ Fresh Seafood

If I think of more I'll post.

In Savannah, send the kids down to the river and take your wife to the Olde Pink House. Its excellent.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you have Netflix watch the series called Blood lines. it is a family drama played out by folks who ran a resort in the keys.

joey1919

I would spend about one day in key West if it were me. Islamorada, key largo etc the rest of the trip.

Lazy days restaurant is amazing, sit ouside. Literally 3 feet from the water. Buddy's kid played in the ocean while we ate and a manatee came up and swam around him. Order anything but make sure you order the tuna tartar.

Stop by Robby's for the tuna tacos, it's a restaurant, marina, flea market. Feed the tarpon while your there. If you hold the bait just right ...

joey1919

Oh and for Cuban food Habanos at calusa cove resort and marina islamorada. Go out back, catch a boat, drag your fish in and they'll cook it for you. It's real Cuban food guess, Cubans took me there

Dr. Strangelove

Last edited:
Best key lime pie - The Blonde Giraffe
Best Marathon restaurant - 7 Mile Grill
No name Pub is Cool
Best Cuban Restaurant - La Carreta in Dade and Broward Counties
Best Air boat Tours and Seafood - Everglades City, where shrimpers used to do a lot of smuggling back in the cocaine cowboy days and home of Totch Brown.
Mel Fisher Museum and the lighthouse are interesting. The conch train tour is good also.

mojo02

Not St. Augustine but close.

If I'm in the area I stop in Titusville at Dixie Crossroads. Their specialty is rock shrimp. If you've never had rock shrimp, you will not be disappointed.

hayseed_theology

We spent several days fishing when we went down there. We hauled all our saltwater rods and reels on the plane. First day down there, we took a half day charter. Watched how they rigged everything, asked questions, and got a rough idea of how to fish the area. Rented a center console the next few days and fished most of the day. We had fun. Caught some good size barracuda. The water was beautiful.

Lilly001

Linger Lodge in Bradenton (south of Tampa) is an interesting experience, to say the least...

http://www.lingerlodgeresort.com/

Get the River Platter if you go.

This is a "backwoods Fl adventure" and it's right off of I-75 at the SR 70 exit. And on the Braden river. (I used to eat there 2 or 3 times a week when I was still working, and I could have eaten almost anywhere in 20 miles).:cheers:

cfbutler31

while in the keys, try and make happy hour, all the good food is half off, and after that, the full prices will hurt. lazy days in marathon is a good place to go, great happy hour menu. also 7 mile grill, I had lunch and breakfast there just about everyday I was there for two weeks. just two miles off shore at the tower off marathon, there is a great reef to snorkel, many places charter that trip for very little. there is also a public beach in marathon, which they are hard to find down there, also stopping at the world wide sportsman store in islelamorda is worth doing, very nice store with full marina. I have been to the no name pub, truly a whole in the wall joint, you would like it. have a beer they are cold. when you get to key west, many places are good to eat, but you do not want to miss the sunset down at Mallory square, lots of characters to look at, and an all around good time. have fun, avoid ft Lauderdale and Miami area on I-95 at all cost, trust me on that one, take the turnpike .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This trip still a go for this year ???

au7126

Hog fish is a must lunch or dinner. Friday they have local talent music after ? 7 PM. Coming off Key West across bridge and turn right. Locals can tell you names of street. You go thru a trailer rental area so don't think you are lost just keep driving. Another idea we used in the evening is local cab -- not much parking. Late evening reef boat trip is worthwhile and sunset on water on return trip is tops. Enjoy Added note we bought tickets for the island bus and you can ride for 3 days . Get on and off wherever you want.

Last edited:
Just spent 2 weeks down there over the last few months. What I've found based upon experience and loacls input:

Marathon has more family friendly accomodations. We stayed here: Tranquility Bay Resort

IMO, the best spot on Key West is Zachary Taylor State park. The beach is the best on the island. The sunset is incredible. snorkeling from the beach

Best Key lime pie in key west is at Kermit's

Burdine's in Marathon has deep fired key lime pie

Best conch fritters in the keys are at Alabama Jack's on Key Largo

For the best key lime milkshake, stop at Robert is Here fruit stand in Florida City (Where turnpike dumps you out before getting on US 1). Life altering

Bahia Honda state park in Marathon is awesome

Sunset Grill (Formerly 7 mile grill) has great view for dinner with really bad food.

Most places in Key West have daily happy hour specials that are not advertized (4-7). 2 friends is the best place for key west pink shrimp

PM if you'd like more info

Capt Quirk

My only suggestion on the Keys, is have AAA. I went on a solo bike ride towards Key West some 30yrs ago. It was about sundown when the bike died on the wrong side of that long bridge. It's a real long bridge pushing a bike back over it, and there really aren't many places, or there wasn't.

As far as eating in St Augustine, we really liked Scarlet O'Hara's.

Davexx1

Lots of good stuff already mentioned. I will second the suggestion to begin your drive from Miami or Florida City down thru the Keys in the early morning with the sun behind you. The views of the water and ocean are spectacular.

Many restaurants in the Keys are open air. Dress appropriately to stay cool. Shorts are standard attire down there. Weekend night life in Key West is fun, but busy. Lots of places for any taste. Ill never forget my first visit there and walking by a urr ahh alternative lifestyle bar. Plan at at least one evening at sunset at Mallory Square and the docks in down town Key West. Do a google search for "Key West" and check out all of the stuff to do, scheduled events, etc. There used to be a jet ski tour that went all the way around the island. Tons of places to eat, boat charters for fishing or snorkle or dive trips to the offshore reefs. At the Venture Out Resort, short drive out from Key West at MM 23, you can rent a ocean/waterfront modular home or mobile in a gated secure resort facility for same or cheaper than motel/hotel.