Why don't Christians celebrate Passover?

I have never received a satisfactory answer to this question.

There's no question that Jesus observed Passover.

There's no question the observance of Passover has a direct connection to the Crucifixion and Resurrection, as opposed say to Lent.

The event which Passover celebrates, the escape of the Jews from Egypt, is a central part of the Christian tradition and the history of Christ. Christians recognize the history, and honor it, but don't observe the memorial of the event.

The Eucharist/Lord's Supper/Last Supper was a Passover meal. The Eucharist is one of the very few sacraments of the Christian faith (depends of who is counting). Seems like the origin of the sacrament is due some observance. The custom of using unleavened bread for the host is directly from the Jewish law (the little churches we used to attend when I was a mere lad used unsalted saltines-- got in trouble once asking in Jesus had them when he was fishing for men)

Before we get all hung up on what the "law" in The Bible, as far as I can tell, none of the Christian holidays are "mandated' in The Bible, which arguably The Eucharist is. By this, I mean, that Christians observe Christmas, and Easter, and whatever other holidays your brand of Christianity chooses to recognize, as "observances" of significant events in Christian history -- a category into which Passover fits. Of the holidays that I've mentioned, Passover and how to observe it, has more Biblical foundation than the other commonly observed holidays.

And for what it's worth, every year, I do try to take a Passover meal with a local family or church.

rjcruiser

Probably for the same reason Christians don't celebrate any other Jewish holidays.

Probably for the same reason Christians don't celebrate any other Jewish holidays.

And that reason is what?

Pentecost is also a Jewish holiday, which is directly related to Passover. (It's the 50th day of Passover, the "pente" part of the name).

stringmusic

To Be Determined
I do..... I "passover" the veggies and get the meat and potatos!:rofl:

JFS

From Wikipedia:

10. Death of the Firstborn (מַכַּת בְּכוֹרוֹת): Ex. 11:1–12:36“ This is what the Lord says: 'About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the slave girl, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again.' ”
— Exodus 11:4–6

The tenth and final plague of Egypt was the death of all of the first born children in Egypt — no one escaped, from the lowest servant to Pharaoh's own first-born son, including first-born of livestock. Before the plague, God commanded Moses to inform all the Israelites to mark lamb's blood on the doorposts on every door in which case the LORD will pass over them and not "suffer the destroyer to come into your houses and smite you" (chapter 12, v. 23), thus sparing all the Israelite first-borns in households that followed the instructions. This was the hardest blow upon Egypt and the plague that finally convinced Pharaoh to submit, and let the Israelites go.

Not sure mass slaughter of innocent children is a great foundation for a holiday.:huh:

rjcruiser

And that reason is what?

Pentecost is also a Jewish holiday, which is directly related to Passover. (It's the 50th day of Passover, the "pente" part of the name).

Right...it is a Jewish holiday. I'm not Jewish....and I'd venture a guess that most Christians are not Jewish.

Not sure mass slaughter of innocent children is a great foundation for a holiday.:huh:

Move along troll.:rolleyes:

JFS

And I'm curious, why pick on the cattle? Shouldn't he have at least knocked off the pork? :rofl:

The Foreigner

Men

Christians don't celebrate passover for the same reason we don't celebrate any other Jewish ceremony (not because we are not jewish) but because they are all fulfilled in Christ - thus we have no need of that particular ceremony.

Christ is our Passover lamb (1 Pet 1:19; John 1:29; and chiefly 1 COR 5:7 "Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.") He is the sum and substance of the passover - and the passover and the exodus are old covenant pictures of Christ, who is the reality. He died in the place of his people and interposed his blood that God may not punish us for our iniquities, but rather him.

To celebrate any of the Jewish feasts (holidays) is kind of like gazing longingly at a photograph of your wife or children, or a loved one - when in fact they are sat next to you on the sofa. That which is a picture or symbol (passover) is no longer necessary once we have the reality.

Peace

Foreigner

DavidB

I think the reason Christains don't celebrate Passover is simply because it was done in recognition of an event directly related to the covenant between God and Isreal. Our covenant is a new one and therefore generally we take communion instead.

While on the subject, my wife and I attended a meeting at a friend of ours home about a month ago. They invited a Jewish couple who are saved ( they recognize Jesus as the Messiah ) and the husband led us all in communion. It was a very interesting and enjoyable experience.

MudDucker

Staff member
Men

Christians don't celebrate passover for the same reason we don't celebrate any other Jewish ceremony (not because we are not jewish) but because they are all fulfilled in Christ - thus we have no need of that particular ceremony.

Christ is our Passover lamb (1 Pet 1:19; John 1:29; and chiefly 1 COR 5:7 "Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.") He is the sum and substance of the passover - and the passover and the exodus are old covenant pictures of Christ, who is the reality. He died in the place of his people and interposed his blood that God may not punish us for our iniquities, but rather him.

To celebrate any of the Jewish feasts (holidays) is kind of like gazing longingly at a photograph of your wife or children, or a loved one - when in fact they are sat next to you on the sofa. That which is a picture or symbol (passover) is no longer necessary once we have the reality.

Peace

Foreigner

I think the reason Christains don't celebrate Passover is simply because it was done in recognition of an event directly related to the covenant between God and Isreal. Our covenant is a new one and therefore generally we take communion instead.

Thanks guys, I could not have said it better myself!