Built a new portable shooting bench.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had some help, but I finally finished it. I'm hoping it will help me get good scores & small groups shooting at 1,000 yds.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Attachments

• bench 1.jpg
    bench 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 17,058
  • bench 2.jpg
    bench 2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 7,524
  • bench 3.jpg
    bench 3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 18,219

Nugefan

thats ok for a right handed bench ....::ke: ::ke: ::ke: ::ke: ::ke::bounce::bounce:

just kidding , it turned out nice ......

are the legs weighted to keep it from shifting around ????

rayjay

I built something similar a few years back. Wiggliest darn thing I ever tried to shoot off of. There is too much 'spring' in the wooden bench. I have used it in the back yard for shooting my airgun but I stack up some concrete blocks to use as the rear leg. Otherwise the crosshairs never stop weaving about. It's now just another horizontal surface in the shop.

ETA: Dude, time for some Roundup on your driveway :)

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I built something similar a few years back. Wiggliest darn thing I ever tried to shoot off of. There is too much 'spring' in the wooden bench. I have used it in the back yard for shooting my airgun but I stack up some concrete blocks to use as the rear leg. Otherwise the crosshairs never stop weaving about. It's now just another horizontal surface in the shop.

ETA: Dude, time for some Roundup on your driveway :)

Hi rayjay,

Have kinda lost interest in 100 & 200n yds. since I was hitting gongs from 200 out to 1,200 yds. in Wyoming.

I thought of carrying 12 concrete blocks around in the back of my Corolla, but this portable bench should be second best to the blocks. The legs lock against the double male nipple that is screwed into a metal floor flange and a threaded sleeve onto the nipple. It locks the legs pretty good and the table has been pretty stable in practice. Haven't used it at 1,000 yds. yet, but I'll be ready to start practicing off the table and prone.

Oh the table top is not wood. The top does not flex since it is 1+1/2" thick. There is a little movement in the legs if you mussel it around.

gt40

PS: Spring yard prep is just starting.

MadDawg51

The real question is -- Will it fit in your GT-40?

Do you mind telling us what the top material is?

rayjay

On mine I used 2 plys of 3/4" plywood glued together with construction adhesive. I ended up with a big wooden spring.

7Mag Hunter

Nice .....How about a pic of how you did the legs....
Neat idea !!!!!

I have several pieces of 3/4 plywood laying around
and I just might try to make one....

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
The real question is -- Will it fit in your GT-40?

Do you mind telling us what the top material is?

The GT-40 could almost fit under it though.

The top is made of two layers of 3/4" MDF glued and screwed together from the under side with a lot of screws. I then stained and sealed it with at least 7 coats of spar varnish. I glued three 3/4" x 5.5"x 5.5" clear pieces of oak to make 2 blocks 2.25" x 5.5" x 5.5". I then cut them from corner to corner with a bandsaw giving me 4 wedges. I only needed 3 to angle the legs.

gt40

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice .....How about a pic of how you did the legs....
Neat idea !!!!!

I have several pieces of 3/4 plywood laying around
and I just might try to make one....

Hold on a minute I'll go out and see if I can get all the parts of the leg apart and take a picture of them in the order they go together.

gt40

PS: The double ended male nipple screws into the flange. The sleeve screws onto nipple until it is tight then the leg screws into the sleeve and comes into contact with the nipple inside the sleeve and locks against the nipple.
I also drilled a hole through each leg about two inches from the end that touches the ground. I did this so I could put a screw driver through the legs to unscrew them since they will be tight.

Attachments

• bench 4.jpg
    bench 4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 5,282
Last edited:

SmokyMtnSmoke

Nice! Been wanting to build one as well. Can you add a few more pics of the leg blocks from the side?

How much $$ you got in this?

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice! Been wanting to build one as well. Can you add a few more pics of the leg blocks from the side?

MDF top *****************
Oak 5'x5.5"x3/4" for wedges
legs*********************
screws (6 ea. 2" + 3")*******
3 flanges*****************
3 nipples*****************
3 sleeves*****************
glue =Elmers + Garilla ******
Stain+Spar varnish(had old cans)
=====================

gt40

Last edited:

7Mag Hunter

Nice...Thanks for the pics !!!!!

Got my home depot list ready....Got plenty of 3/4" cabinet grade
plywood, screws, glue, stain and poly ready to go....Just really
need the legs and to do the angles !!!!!!

Thanks Again !!!!

SmokyMtnSmoke

Thanks gt40! Really nice portable.

I see you have the cardboard templates, care to post up pictures of those w/ some measurements too? No need to reinvent a perfectly good wheel as yours looks like it works very well :D

What do you think it weighs? Have you shot off it yet? Field report ;) ?

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks gt40! Really nice portable.

I see you have the cardboard templates, care to post up pictures of those w/ some measurements too? No need to reinvent a perfectly good wheel as yours looks like it works very well :D

What do you think it weighs? Have you shot off it yet? Field report ;) ?

The width is 30" and the length should not be less than 42". An inch or two longer wouldn't hurt. I went in 12 inches for the notch, but 13 inches might be a little better to get the rifle closer to the center. You can figure how far towards the front you want the notch to be comfortable for you.

I am also going to make a 3/8" "L" shaped rod to put through the holes in the legs so I can spin the threaded legs on & off faster.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: Look back here tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to weigh it then.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why didn't you screw the pipe leg directly into the flange?

Only about 1/4" of thread on the flange which lets the table wobble to much. Also I am going to JB Weld the nipple to the flange and the sleeve to the nipple. If the JB Weld doesn't work I will weld them together.

The weight is almost exactly 50 pounds.

gt40

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I forgot to mention that when the legs are removed the table fits in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla with my rifle in hard case plus the front & back rests and everything else I need to take to the range. :clap:

gt40

rjcruiser

the table fits in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla
gt40

You know you're addicted to shooting when you've got more money in your gun than you do in your car :D