Wolves in North Georgia

Artmom

I live at the east valley entrance to pine log wma and I swear I have seen a wolf across the field in front of the house it was way bigger than a yote and its eyes were what gave it away glad someone else has seen one here know one belives me. Also when the yotes get to going sometimes what sounds like a wolf chimes in and everything else goes silent.

I totally believe you because I've seen 1 once around here and it was NO coyote! I just didn't bother to tell anyone because people are so adamant that there probably aren't any this far south and they'll think I'm just a dumb female. It was completely different in size, form, and coloration and nowhere near as skittish as yotes. And, yes, the eyes were different in my case as well. Very distinct.

siberian1

I totally believe you because I've seen 1 once around here and it was NO coyote! I just didn't bother to tell anyone because people are so adamant that there probably aren't any this far south and they'll think I'm just a dumb female. It was completely different in size, form, and coloration and nowhere near as skittish as yotes. And, yes, the eyes were different in my case as well. Very distinct.

I dont think you are a "Dumb Female" . However I dont think there are any wolves in GA. And if you think a coyote is "Skittish" you should compare it to a wolf. Many great outdoorsmen have spent their entire lives in the wild and never seen one!! I talked to a trapper in Ontario once and he said they were almost impossible to trap or even see for that matter.

probass

Red Wolves in Elbert County

I have been hunting and fishing around Lake Russell for 20 years. In that time I have seen many tracks that according to my tracking book are Red Wolves. Most of the tracks were always found when I was following deer tracks.

I did a lot of research and found out that back in the mid 1980's Elbert county actually brought in a few mated pairs of Red Wolves to "help control the deer population".

After all these years, I finally actually saw one up close on my property about the first week of May.

We also have several pics of a pretty good size black bear on the trail cams!

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
this is a pic of one from chehaw if it helps any.

Attachments

• chehaw-047.jpg
    chehaw-047.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 10,193
Reactions: Dub

longears

If you think its hard to see a wolf, you need to research the selway wilderness in idaho. the elk cow calf ratio is 3 calf to 100 cows. I just spent 4 days packed in fishing and saw plenty of sign.

shakey gizzard

I dont think you are a "Dumb Female" . However I dont think there are any wolves in GA. And if you think a coyote is "Skittish" you should compare it to a wolf. Many great outdoorsmen have spent their entire lives in the wild and never seen one!! I talked to a trapper in Ontario once and he said they were almost impossible to trap or even see for that matter.

Ive been hunting for 25 years and have never seen a bobcat! If there that hard to see, what makes you think they are not here? Youd be amazed what could be living in your backyard and never see.:hair::eek::cheers:

siberian1

Ive been hunting for 25 years and have never seen a bobcat! If there that hard to see, what makes you think they are not here? Youd be amazed what could be living in your backyard and never see.:hair::eek::cheers:

Point taken. I just dont think the wolf would have enough habitat to survive here in GA. Even though you may not have seen a bobcat here, plenty of them are killed every winter. However..Have you ever seen a wolf that was killed here in GA??:flag:

shakey gizzard

Point taken. I just dont think the wolf would have enough habitat to survive here in GA. Even though you may not have seen a bobcat here, plenty of them are killed every winter. However..Have you ever seen a wolf that was killed here in GA??:flag:

No, But I have seen a Maine mutant in Taylor county:eek::eek::eek: Google it!:cheers:

borknone

On Nov. 16, Dave Adams of Newnan was deer hunting with a muzzleloader on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property along West Point Lake when he shot and killed a male cougar that weighed 140 pounds. The property was south of Hwy 109 near the Abbottsford community west of LaGrange.

Reactions: Dub

D.PRUFF

Banned
Hi Fans...for those who would like to wish our Wolves good luck before they head to So. Georgia this week...Ive been told to pass it on that they will be leaving from the Raddison in Nashua on Thursday at noon. They will be traveling via a sleeper bus.

Backlasher82

Looks like you're going to be taking a long trip for nothing. If you had read this thread you would know that all wolves turn around when they get to the Georgia state line, just like panthers do coming up from Florida.

You better start looking for something for those wolves to do in North Carolina. Cherokee ain't Vegas but it beats sitting at the Georgia line with a bunch of wolves wishing they could cross over.;)

badkarma

The Chattanooga Nature center has a breeding program for red wolves. They are VERY vocal. They are much larger than a yote, but like it has been mentioned, they cross breed with yotes and other dogs. I think they have 5 or 6 there. They look like a very skinny wolf.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I had read some time ago that genetic research led many to believe that the red wolf was in fact the result of coyotes and wolves interbreeding at some point of pre-history. Haven't ever heard anything different, has anyone else?

If a domestic dog can mate with a coyote, thus we have coydogs. And the dog/wolf hybrids have been around awhile, then it would make sense that the red wolf X coyote would be most likely? Especially if they have already identified genetic markers common to the wolf and coyote in the red wolves. My question is why are they stocking red wolves back into the east? One would assume that the large numbers of coyotes already here would quickly dillute the red wolf's genetic purity and in a few generations be back mostly coyotes. Which they look an awful lot alike already. Ain't this really a waste of time and money?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
i have a picture of 2 red wolves my Grandpa killed back in the late 60s and early 70s in Newton County Texas (Louisiana border). Those were the last 2 known red wolves to ever be killed in that part of the country. I've seen the pictures and there is a major difference in a full grown red wolf and a coyote. The red wolves are 3 times bigger than any southeastern coyote

I know this is an old thread, but I read this....I see red wolves all the time, some times I just go and sit and watch them....how is that you ask? Chehaw Park in Albany has some that are in the red wolf breeding program run by the government. They are the same size as a goodly number of southeastern coyotes....which by the way almost all have wolf dna according to a genetic study done by the University of Florida, and nowhere near the domestic dog dna that most assume. I could put many of the "coyotes" I have harvested over the years next to these red wolves, I bet you the most woods wise of the outdoors men on this board would be hard pressed to pick which was which. I am of the belief that many of the coyotes people are seeing are more red wolf than they are coyote, especially the familiar coyote of the west. I wish someone would do a dna study on our "black coyotes" which are not that uncommon, to see exactly what they are made up of. On an interesting side note, travelers of old in Fla talked about the black wolf dog the Indians had....well there was an interesting study done in the USSR that continued after the fall of the USSR. A scientist wanted to domesticate the red fox, he did this by selectively breeding the fox kits that showed a more friendly like behavior to their handlers...years later, by selectively breeding them this way, the fox started to get floppy ears, a curled tail and barked like a dog.....makes you think about the so called black "wolf-dog" crosses travelers of old in Florida talked about .....they said the only differences was these wolf dogs barked and were tolerant of people....and some had a curl to their tail....apparently the gene in canines that leads to tolerance of people and domestication also causes barking, floppy ears and a curled tail. But back to the original quote, 55 or 60 pound is a decent sized red wolf...that ain't 3 times our average coyote.

Mtn lover

I live and hunt in north east Pickens county. Most of the land is very steep, difficult terrain. While sitting a deer stand an hour before daylight one morning , I heard an animal howl. I've heard numerous coyote's howl. This was a much deeper "prettier" howl. It howled , then moved 3 times. It almost sounded like one of my daughters french horns. An ex-employee swears he killed a wolf around Whitestone GA. several years ago. He said that dogs were being killed in the area and that they couldn't figure out what was killing them. His large family watchdog was supposedly drug off of his porch and killed. He got DNR involved but told no one about what he had killed. Although I've only hunted for about 3 years, I've hiked and backpack camped for over 30 years. I've seen two bobcats, one very healthy and large, many bear and cougar tracks. I saw unmistakeable cougar tracks across from Amicalola falls and was told by a waitress at the lodge that they saw a mountain lion sunning himself on a log when they were preparing to open the lodge after it was just built. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find wolfs in the more remote and mountainous areas.

Merry Christmas to all !

beginnersluck

I agree that most all wild animals are skittish, but they don't become invisible. How do they get them on the Discovery Channel and NatGeo or in magazines if they are almost impossible to see?
I do believe there are animals around that we have had limited sightings of, but many people say they don't exist here. People saying that the armadillo didn't exist here in Northeast GA even after people saw them around are backtracking on their words now that they are popping up more and more. Just have to be in the right place at the right time to see some of those animals being mentioned.

Also, I have seen a rather huge "coyote" a few years back while driving home from a UGA football game. It was probably 1/4 mile from my house running along a fenceline that surrounds a rabbit hunting club. It was bigger than a german shepherd, but definitely not a domestic breed. I pawned it off as a coydog...but thinking about it, I could see the possibility of it being a wolf like the picture of the one at Chehaw