Motorcyclist killed in Lumpkin County Sunday afternoon.

sinclair1

:crazy:

Thats all well and good until them "zippin around a mountain pass" causes them to lose control and slam into a car killing people who were on their way home or to the store or just out enjoying life...
I agree, I am no internet goody two shoes, but I take extra precaution not to do any stupid things if it might harm other folks. I could not live with myself.

If I can see 5 miles up the highway and no one is near I have been known to exceed the limit by a hundred or so miles per hour:stir: But not on a motorcycle...to dangerous

Luke0927

dang its rough....when I go up to our family place in Blairsville 129 or 60 there usually some of them going wide open....and if it was just them they would probably do OK but with the mix of cars and bicyclers just too many things to go wrong....I've noticed a step up in LEO thought on the roads.

watermedic

Some people do get a hard skin after seeing stupidity and death for a number of years. But you need to remember that you may be the one that needs the help one day and pray that a person driving by doesn't have the same self-centered attitude that some of the previous posters have had.

I have ridden Blood Mtn on my Harley a few times. Some of the turns really sneak up on you. An unexperienced rider can get into trouble in the blink of an eye.

Accidents happen all the time. Even more often when something is involved that people get a thrill from. Speed is one of the biggest risk factors.

Just Jeff

I run blood in my stang all the time. Very fun road and its pretty close to me. So does the same thoughts some have here go for the car enthusiast on that road?
YES, If you are driving that road like it's your own personal race track. There are people driving that road with families, or they may not have the same "Skills" as the stang driver. Personally, I hope they start patrolling that road more.

toyota4x4h

Oh they patrol the road had a cop grab a few of my group there at the church. Blood is no diff than tail of the dragon it'll always be used by enthusiast and there will always be some that push the edge too far. Also I do not own the road but I enjoy a day on the road so sue me for living lol. I'm as careful as one can be. I do not drive or ever have drove a bike though I consider them to be on a diff level than a car much more dangerous.

sinclair1

Oh they patrol the road had a cop grab a few of my group there at the church. Blood is no diff than tail of the dragon it'll always be used by enthusiast and there will always be some that push the edge too far. Also I do not own the road but I enjoy a day on the road so sue me for living lol. I'm as careful as one can be. I do not drive or ever have drove a bike though I consider them to be on a diff level than a car much more dangerous.
That could happen, which is why I take my thrill seeking very serious and make sure no one has a chance to be injured by my stupid stunts. A winding road full of families is no where to be wreckless.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

You tube ruff ryders, if she was a member of theirs then she pushed the limits. Either way any loss of life is sad and tragic.I grew up on dirt bikes, I am covered in scars and have broken several bones from all the accidents. I always wanted a crotch rocket, but looking back, I have no doubt I would no longer be around, I'm to extreme when it comes to this. I'm probably one of very few that knows from experience a dodge caravan (minivan) shuts off at 111mph. Several years ago my cousin bought a crotch rocket, two days after he bought it I was at his house for a party, he let me take it down the road at ten o'clock at night. I've never even been on it before and I go up the road and come flying by his driveway doing 120 likes it nothing. These bikes are made to go fast and it causes people to push the limit.

sinclair1

Hey anything can happen..driving wreckless or not is all I'm saying.
Its funny you say that, I calculate very carefully what the outcome could be before I do stupid stuff and most times the calculations cause me not to do it.
I cherish the times that I end up in the position that no matter what I do, It should not hurt someone else.

I came up on a accident on I-20 where I was first in line as they blocked the highway for 30 minutes. When I was allowed to go I calculated that every officer in town was at the crash, the road was clear for miles, so I let it hang out. I did not pass anyone and didn't even see a car while I was doing this stupid act.

Lets keep in mind, I do stupid stuff and if you're doing stuff I wont even do .....then.....you know:rofl:

Just Jeff

I guess as long as you're "careful as one can be". That makes it alright. I'm sure that the people you scare the bejesus out of when you run up on them, are fine as long as you're being "as careful as one can be"

DAVE

From my observations the reason people take their motorcycles to the mountains is so they can pretend to be racers. Fortunately most of the time when they lose it they only hit a tree or guard rail and not another motorist. People who live in these areas see these fools on a weekly basis by the hundreds and remarkably only probably average one or two deaths per weekend. Having sympathy for them would be like having sympathy for a Russian roulette player.

watermedic

One or two deaths per weekend would shut the road down!!!

I have been scared more by the people in cars than the ones on bikes!

merc123

Yeah, there seems to be quite a lot of speculation by people with no facts to back them up. I would think somebody that has been around cars could see how an impact on the side of a wheel could break it. I know I've seen it happen.:huh:

My speculation came from the OP that said the wheel was broken off.

I hydroplaned in my Mustang one time. I did 2x 360's. The car slid sideways and smacked the side of the right, front wheel dead center on a 6" curb along the side of the road at about 40 MPH which stopped the car dead in its tracks. It broke a 4" or 5" piece of the chrome wheel off. The tire still held air and I drove it another 50 miles to a place to change it. It was a really hard hit. Can you believe nothing else was wrong with anything but the wheel even after that impact? No bent tie rods. No bent hubs.

Firescooby

Well, I am sorry that my comments stirred up such s fuss.

First, the facts...

1) I've seen hundreds of motorcycle wrecks...and the damage described DOES NOT happen at 40-50mph

2) My family and I have been literally run out of the road or had to cut off the road in order to avoid hitting an idiot on a crotch rocket.

3) I've seen my share of death, tragedy, or whatever you wanna call it...and unless it is kids...it doesn't bother me.

4) None of you know me...so you can't make a judgement on the type of person I am from a comment.

5) I do hate it for the victims family

6) I don't care what people think of me

That is all...

Msdahmenor

I came up on this accident right after it happened, I was about the 10th car heading south. I tried to look up to see if I found anything about it. This forum popped up. I sat there for an hour. I figured it must have been a fatality because of the way GSP was blocking the roadway and there was no sirens. A couple of people around me got out of their cars and walked up to see what happened.

It is just very sad that someone lost their life on what should have been a nice Sunday drive. I read the message the letter sent to this group a couple of months earlier that someone here reposted.

All that being said, while that is a gorgeous drive, a lot of people do drive crazy and jeopardize the lives and injury to others for their carelessness and disregard to others. I try and stay within the speed limit because I enjoy the scenery and the road is very curvy. Car, motorcycles and bicycles all drive crazy. No one group worse over another.

My prayers are with the lady's friends and family, regardless of who was at fault.

Stay safe.

NavyVet

I witnessed the accident from the southbound direction and was one of the first good samaritans at the rider's side. I am a motorcycle enthusiast that wears all the gear and totally enjoys a speed-limit romp in the mountains.

For those being directed past the accident, or were stuck in the backups (both directions), I was wearing the black vest standing by the partially covered body.

I am trained in First Aid/CPR and we had a nurse (actually two nurses) who joined the efforts trying to determin what to do. With what was presented, there was nothing any of us could do.

When the accident happened, all I knew was that a "rider" went down. I didn't care about anything other than a person was hurt. Of course we checked on the young couple in the silver car. They were conscious, and obviously quite shaken. They never saw the motorcycle until they were hit by it.

I was on the scene for over 3 hours. I gave my statement to the GSP and a local sheriff's deputy. When I got home I emailed myself as many notes as possible so I had a date-stamp on my statement that will agree with what I detailed verbally hours earlier.

The motorcycle was at fault. She took an easy curve too wide, ran into the shoulder, attempted to regain control, but must have twisted the throttle trying to hang onto the handlebars. She reentered the road surface at a much higher rate of speed but still not in control. She went diagonally across both lanes, striking the southbound silver car.

I witnessed her body going above the height of the vehicle she struck, the riderless motorcycle flipped end-over-end before spinning on its side about 100+ feet and landing in the creek where it stopped and stalled.

The entire front-end of the silver car was crushed, the right-front wheel was broken-off the axel, coolant and motor oil were draining from the misplaced motor (off the motor mounts). There was no fire, no smell of gasoline, but we had folks keeping an eye on that.

We did the best we could trying to alternate traffic flow around the accident scene. There was a delay of 15 minutes or so before her friends came back looking for her. Obviously there was some frantic moments to deal with when they learned of their friend's accident.

There was no panic at the scene, nobody was trying to be boss, everyone was reverant to the loss of life. Prayers were spoken and words of condolence and attempts of encouragement were shared.

Yes, motorcycles are dangerous, many folks ride them dangerously; but not all motorcycles are operated by foolish daredevils. To the fip side of this- not many motorcycle operators are sending text messages, eating, doing their hair and makeup, holding a phone, have a dog in their lap, or otherwise distracted.

Certainly not picking any new debate, but many of us have many years (and miles) of colaborative sharing of the road.

snuffy

Great job Navy Vet
The world need more people like you!