How do you age a snapping turtle?

The AmBASSaDEER

I caught a pretty good size snapper Sunday, while I was catfishing.

I was wondering how I could tell how old he is? Oh and how to tell M/F?

Hes in the cooler right now. Gonna eat him when he gets ready(thats another thread)

The AmBASSaDEER

I cant find my camera, but Ill try to get a cell phone pic up here tomorrow.

KDarsey

You could wait till his next birthday and count the candles on his cake...:D

runs with scissors

If he has an arrowhead or a musket ball in the shell, its old::ke:

There have been a few of the big ones caught in the past that still had some of these in the shells

slightly grayling

Start with your little finger....if he can snap it off easily he is at least 3; ring finger about 5, middle finger 8, pointing finger 12, thumb over 20.......this is where it really gets difficult (you might want to have a "friend" do this part for you) wrist....ankle.......:bounce:

The AmBASSaDEER

Man that sucker broke lose yesterday!!!

I just had a brick settin on top of the cooler, next thing I know Charlie (dog) was goin nuts!!! (He bayed a turtle :bounce:.) But a snatched him up real quick like.

He made a good run, but still is gonna end up in my belly!!:stir:

Still no pics, they didnt turn out.:banginghe

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Snapping turtles age well in medium to large size farm ponds.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

I just had a brick settin on top of the cooler, next thing I know Charlie (dog) was goin nuts!!! (He bayed a turtle :bounce:.) But a snatched him up real quick like.

I know for a fact they will climb out of the bed of a full sized pickup. They are realy strong and the best escape artists.

Tag-a-long

Charlie's a TURTLE dog! Who'd have guessed ... and he hasn't even had any formal training or anything!! ::ke: :D

letsemwalk

I know for a fact they will climb out of the bed of a full sized pickup. They are realy strong and the best escape artists.

thats the seconds time i`ve heard a story about this happening....must be true.

ghill4

"The difference between sexes shows mainly in the structure of the tail, and for the male snapper the tail is longer, thicker, and the vent is located much further from the edge of the plastron then that of the female."

The plastron is the shell on the belly area.

malefemale02.jpg

The AmBASSaDEER

"The difference between sexes shows mainly in the structure of the tail, and for the male snapper the tail is longer, thicker, and the vent is located much further from the edge of the plastron then that of the female."

malefemale02.jpg

What is the "vent"?

SarahFair

The vent in chickens is where they excrete bowels mate and lay eggs
If its the same with turtles I wouldnt know but dont think it would be much diff

The AmBASSaDEER

The vent in chickens is where they excrete bowels mate and lay eggs
If its the same with turtles I wouldnt know but dont think it would be much diff

So I guess the "vent" is the second line...?

The AmBASSaDEER

malefemale02.jpg

Ok well,,, I think He is a She then!! :hair:

Gonna have to change his name too. The neighbor kids were calling "him" Terry :D