Male vs Female dog's...?

wildlands

Hi Glenn, I have a female and think that they are more level headed. The only thing I would say is that twice a year they will get harded headed and stuburn if you know what I mean. Unless you plan on breeding I would have a female fixed. That way you do not have to worry about her going into heat right in the middle of hunting season and not wanting to work as hard as normal.

Jesse James

I would have to agree and say females, they mature quicker and seem to be easier to handle. I do have to good working males that are cool headed and handle vary well. I would go with a female over the male.

Glenn

A female beagle is what have been looking for and I have found one. There are alot of male beagle pups but I have alwasy had a female dog.

If I was going to keep them outside in a kennel it would not matter but for the most part it will be an inside pet as well as a hunting dog.

Thanks fellas

mpowell

growing up we never owned any hunting dogs but plenty of dogs for pets.

we only bought a male dog once--and that was the last time! IMO, females that are fixed are the way to go.

but, it all depends on what you're looking to do i guess.

GeauxLSU

For a true pet, definitely female. For a 'guard dog' well... lots of variables.
For a hunting dog that doesn't require a lot of training, I'd probably say there's not a ton of difference. If it was something that required more time (pointer for example vs. beagle), I'd go with a female.
And yes, if you just want a pet, get a female mutt from the local shelter between 1-3 years old. You'll have MUCH less vet bills. Trust me.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jkidd

At present I have 10 beagles 5 of them are pups. Of the 5 running dogs that are in my pack 4 of them are females. I just prefer the females as they dont go around with ONE thing on there mind instead of hunting. Ive seen males that will leave a hot trail to go to a hot female. Ive never seen a female that would leave a trail for male... A female is alot of responsibility unless there fixed. I dont have a single dog fixed and have not had any unplanned litters. Just have to keep a check on them. Only bad thing about females is you can loose one for 3 weeks right in the middle of hunting season due to there heat cycle.

Jason

Cheri

Jkidd said:
I just prefer the females as they dont go around with ONE thing on there mind instead of hunting.

Ditto!

1. Females are in heat twice a year.
2. Males are only in heat once a year, it just lasts 365 days ;)

Seriously .. Once a male catches wind of a female in season, you might as well load him up and head home, he'll be ruined for the entire day (or night) ..

Another reason I choose females, is that once I cut them loose, they go hunting ... Instead of spending the first several minutes "marking their territory" on every tree in a 20 foot radius ...

chewie1014

Just my own personal thought, but a male dog is the best for a pet. They're more committed to the owner and are a more loving animal. My lab Buddy was one of the best pets I've ever had. He was a great retriever, but an even better pet to the whole family. I also think males have more common sense. Which is a different sort of intellegence.

Now female dogs are much better working dogs. Seems they're smarter and are much better at problem solving. My female lab Pepper had tremendous natural talent and was a great working dog. My beagle Daisy was one of the best tracking dogs I've ever seen. Neither had the common sense of a mop, but they were great, smart workers.

Glenn

Thanks for the continue of the information!

Do ya'll know how hard it is to find a female Beagle :speechles

Everyone I call on are gone and all the have left are males..... ::huh:

:banginghe

dbodkin

Had nothing but female lap dogs.... Never cared for cleaning up after the males mark their territory...in the house ::huh: Seems males of all species are the same though.... :speechles

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Females easier to train. The toughest to train is the dominate male in the litter. They are just down right mule headed at times. For retreivers, I found goldens to be the easiest to train, noone really uses them much anymore though.

Dupree

I like females for pets!

WalkerRunner

Hands down females. I have 3 and they are all working dogs and house dogs. I find a t-shirt cut in half down the front takes care of the heat problem in the house. Females seem to run trail harder to me and they listen better than males in my opinion.

R G

I think the males are more agressive and make better competition dogs, but if I could only have one I would pick a female. I think the females are easier to train and more loyal. Also with a female you can raise your own puppies.

bobman

If you really look at the whole picture the sex of the dog is a real small part of it.

Theres lots of other factors way more important.

Two things that do seem consistant are females are more likely to be protective of property in my experience and if neutered slightly less likely to wander.

Personally I like male dogs, but a good dog is a good dog.

I'm talking bird dogs.