Deer Biologist Evaluation on private property

gfontela

I have a friend who owns 500 acres that is almost completely wooded. He wants to look into getting a biologist out there to evaluate the property and deer heard and come up with a management plan for the deer on the property. I have been trying to do some research on this, but don't know where to start.

Has anybody done anything like this on their property or know of a deer biologist/QDM company that he may be able to hire to assist with this?

Thanks!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
WRD has wildlife biologists that will do that for free.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

flint buck

we are doing it

we started doing it a few years ago. get in contact with a state biologist who will get you going in the right direction. it will start with gathering data such as trail camera surveys, sighting records and collecting information on harvested deer. it takes time and effort but the payout is well worth it.

Blisterapine

I had a GA state biologist come out to my property once(700a) - he didn't know more than I did so it wasn't very productive. Really isn't much to it, have good cover. Plant plots if you want to - doesn't make a huge difference if you don't . .Control burn sections annually, only take 2 or 3 deer per year. Keep poachers out and you should have a good place to hunt.