Getting Electric at Deer Camp Questions

Gulfin

Good day all.

We're thinking about relocating our camp to a more accessible place in order to get electricity. Would love to talk to anyone that has been through the process. Pros/Cons, unexpected issues/expenses, lessons learned, etc.

I should add we'll be hooking up anywhere from 5-12 campers/cabins as well as a bathhouse, skinning rack, and well pump.

Please respond here or feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thank you!
Kevan

Last edited:

fishingtiger

I ran electric to my camp about 8 years ago. Pulled it from the main line off the dirt road. They had to go about 75 yards into my property to run it. I had to supply the pole with the box on it which I bought from local electrician. I think it was about $150. I ended up digging the hole and putting it up the pole myself. Sinking the grounding rod was a chore. Took two of us to sledge hammer that thing into the ground about 4ft deep. Once I put up the pole and ran an anchor wire, the power company hooked it up for me. I just have 4 outlets on the pole that I run extension chords to my shed and barn.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My local EMC requires a large deposit,a building permit and inspection before they will hook up a temp pole at a hunt camp.Someone has to have the power in their name and be responsible for the billing.
Get plenty of money up front until you see what the electric bill will run for 12 months.

shdw633

Someone has to have the power in their name and be responsible for the billing.
Get plenty of money up front until you see what the electric bill will run for 12 months.

^^^^^This^^^^^ Bills will be higher then you expect, watch out for those that have electric golf carts because they will run that bill up exponentially.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
^^^^^This^^^^^ Bills will be higher then you expect, watch out for those that have electric golf carts because they will run that bill up exponentially.

Also the ones that are planning on getting out after deer season is over and don't care if you get any money from them Jan-June.Been there done that.
Also each camper needs a dedicated circuit.If joe overloads or cuts his curcuit off when he leaves Bobs refrig contents will be bad the next Friday night when he arrives at camp.
The big 50 amp camper will use more electricity than the 20 amp popup camper.
We installed the wires and a receptacle to each camper from club funds.

SlipperyHill Mo

I just had the EMC run power over a mile onto my property. Had to clear the easement and pay for the lines and poles. I have an 1100 sf cabin and also feed 10 campers. I set two 200 amp panels and fed 20 amp circuits to each camper underground.

-no electric heaters allowed
-assessed all members for power hookup
-max power bill was $80 since last September.

PM me if you want additional info about options.

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Electricity at deer camp is a great thing as long as you prepare and fiqure out what the needs/goals are and how to accomplish them.
We have a full bath, water pump water heater in a common bath,but several will use the ones in their campers instead.
You will need to check with the landowners. Some timber companies don't allow electricity.

Last edited:

specialk

we've had ours in 25yrs. back then we set a temp pole 10ft off the road.....main pole was right on the road....cost us like a hundred bucks.......

Troy Butler

our bill runs around 120-130 a month in hunting season and some where around 30-40 other months. We have 5 campers and a kitchen area with stove and a frig, and a well pump.

When lease dues are due the power bill is added in with the dues. We just take what it cost to pay the power from the past year and divide.

7Mag Hunter

20+ yrs ago we leased from Plum Creek and they did not allow
overhead power lines, so we rented a ditch witch and ran an
underground line from a power pole on the property line approx
150 yds from our club house....Electric company put a meter on the pole..
One member was licensed electrician (union) and he put panel box in club house and we ran
underground lines to 5 campers, and wired 2 outside lights on
the club house and to a pole close to the firepit...
we ran line to each camper and put a 4x4 post at each campsite\
with 30amp breaker switch...