Trout fishing common courtisey

Dana Young

I do quite a bit of trout fishing. My dad taught me before there were designated trout streams. Most of the time we were way off the beaten path on native spec streams.
When we would encounter another fisherman. My dad always taught me If some one was fishing a hole you walked way around them and usually a good bit farther up the stream as a courtisey to them, after all they were there first. Most times we would go to another stream all together.
I know the fish belong to all that fish especially on put and take streams, But as of late I see more and more people that will get right in the hole with you. My dad would have beat the tar out of me if I did that.
The other day I was trying to introduce one of my younger grandsons to trout fishing. I found a hole that hade a lot of room for him to cast so he could do it all on his own . I say fish in the hole so I knew he had a good chance. we start catching a few fish her comes a man just a little older then me and throws into the hole over my grandsons Line and tangles him up . I get him untangled and turn around and here comes this man climbing up on the ledge we were fishing from. The ledge was about 2 feet wide and just enough room for my grandson and I to Stand on.
I looked at the man and asked what he was doing. He said I am going to get up ther with ya'll so I can catch some of those fish too.
I told him he was not going to get up there with us and he would just have to wait till we got done fishing there.
He got mad and said I own just as much of this ledge as yall do . I said excuse me but you don't want to go there.

What would you have done?

Cmp1

BANNED
I do quite a bit of trout fishing. My dad taught me before there were designated trout streams. Most of the time we were way off the beaten path on native spec streams.
When we would encounter another fisherman. My dad always taught me If some one was fishing a hole you walked way around them and usually a good bit farther up the stream as a courtisey to them, after all they were there first. Most times we would go to another stream all together.
I know the fish belong to all that fish especially on put and take streams, But as of late I see more and more people that will get right in the hole with you. My dad would have beat the tar out of me if I did that.
The other day I was trying to introduce one of my younger grandsons to trout fishing. I found a hole that hade a lot of room for him to cast so he could do it all on his own . I say fish in the hole so I knew he had a good chance. we start catching a few fish her comes a man just a little older then me and throws into the hole over my grandsons Line and tangles him up . I get him untangled and turn around and here comes this man climbing up on the ledge we were fishing from. The ledge was about 2 feet wide and just enough room for my grandson and I to Stand on.
I looked at the man and asked what he was doing. He said I am going to get up ther with ya'll so I can catch some of those fish too.
I told him he was not going to get up there with us and he would just have to wait till we got done fishing there.
He got mad and said I own just as much of this ledge as yall do . I said excuse me but you don't want to go there.

The same,,,,

tree cutter 08

Same thing. I just can't stand it to the point I just about give up on trout fishing. Fishing native streams isn't to bad but any stocked waters is awful. Next time someone butts in a hole with you, take a peak at there car tag when you leave and most of the time it will be one of the metro Atlanta counties. Just a honest observation. If I'm fishing a hole with one of my kids and someone butts in, after them getting tangled in my line 3 or 4 times they decide to move on. It's bad you got to be like that but people have no respect. Just take a drive to to any city and you see the same mentality with driving.

I was taught the same. I can no longer fish for trout but notice that the same lack of courtesy applies to other species as well.

What would I do?? I move on because I have a temper. But I don't know what I would do if I was with a grandchild. Hopefully move on.

Dana Young

Same thing. I just can't stand it to the point I just about give up on trout fishing. Fishing native streams isn't to bad but any stocked waters is awful. Next time someone butts in a hole with you, take a peak at there car tag when you leave and most of the time it will be one of the metro Atlanta counties. Just a honest observation. If I'm fishing a hole with one of my kids and someone butts in, after them getting tangled in my line 3 or 4 times they decide to move on. It's bad you got to be like that but people have no respect. Just take a drive to to any city and you see the same mentality with driving.

Yeah its getting more and more difficult to keep my cool.

Dana Young

I was taught the same. I can no longer fish for trout but notice that the same lack of courtesy applies to other species as well.

What would I do?? I move on because I have a temper. But I don't know what I would do if I was with a grandchild. Hopefully move on.

Yeah i's not just trout fishing it is getting bad on all species of fish as well

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yeah its getting more and more difficult to keep my cool.

Been with you when you let a 4X4 jeep get both barrels. Glad you tempered it a little with your grandson along.

Miss you brother.

ryanh487

He might not have been so eager to share if your grandson "accidentally" put a hook through his ear on a back cast. Just sayin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some people are rude idiot jerks who don't have a clue. If I see somebody else fishing, I go on up and give them at least a quarter-mile or more of creek. I appreciate the same consideration.

ryork

Unfortunately, its not just trout fishing, its just about anything and everything anymore. Common courtesy is not very common anymore. I would have probably done the same thing with that situation, big difference between a trout stream and a larger body of water. In a lake, it just aint worth the trouble confronting a bunch of idjits.

whitetailfreak

I learned from an early age not to crowd folks, but I've gotta say that I get great pleasure from fishing behind these yahoos and filling my creel while they watch.

deermaster13

My daughter was fishing Thursday and catching a few when a guy went on the bridge and tried fishing the hole she was in. He tangled her line and she had to cut both off. Bless her heart she wasn't rude and just climbed out and left. Seems to happen almost every time we go. It's a shame folks have no curtisy anymore. So I don't blame you a bit but shouldn't have to be that way.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I would have let the redneck out......... Done it a few times before, once more ain't gonna hurt. I about got in a fight with a guy over on Russell turkey hunting a couple of years ago. I said my piece and then he gritted his teeth and I seen him clinch his fist. I told him he didn't wanna do that, it was a long walk back to the truck much less with 2 eyes swollen shut. He backed down and left...

ambush80

I would have done just as you did. I would have said "Would you mind giving us some room so that we can all enjoy fishing? You can have this spot when we're done." Were you friendly and courteous? Did you smile or scowl? It's not just what you say but how you say it.

ambush80

My daughter was fishing Thursday and catching a few when a guy went on the bridge and tried fishing the hole she was in. He tangled her line and she had to cut both off. Bless her heart she wasn't rude and just climbed out and left. Seems to happen almost every time we go. It's a shame folks have no courtesy anymore. So I don't blame you a bit but shouldn't have to be that way.

She shouldn't have to leave if she didn't want to. Maybe it "just wasn't worth it" to her. She seems like a lovely young lady. I bet if she had said "Would you mind waiting until I'm done here and then you can have a turn?" he would have complied. Why does everybody wanna fight so bad? Why are egos so fragile....like snowflakes.

JackSprat

My eyesight is terrible. Can't see where I'm casting, and when I get tangled in someone's line, takes forever for me to get the tangle out. I got no where to go and a long time to get there. OTOH, I'm not as patient as I used to be so eventually I cut the whole mess off. Words have been passed, but I can hold my own there, too.

My thinking that if I can cast over your line with my UL, you are too darn close.

Course this discussion gets me to think about the tournament people who will fish the bank between my little boat and the bank.

It's the "me" generation don't you know, and that's not age specific.