When did you start fly fishing?

Randy

I am seriously considering opening a fly fishing and kayak shop half way between Macon and Atlanta. We have nothing down here. Buck head is closest.

bluemarlin

I am seriously considering opening a fly fishing and kayak shop half way between Macon and Atlanta. We have nothing down here. Buck head is closest.

Man.. If you could figure out the recipe for success with that, you'd have it made.
With internet pricing, I buy everything online.

I picked it up in the late 70's... Some memorable highlights have been out in Montana and a few billfish off the Keys, Virgin Islands, Mexico.

I've had some outstanding mornings between Johnson's Ferry and 41 too!

jigman29

I love it and would never give it up.I grew up bait fishing and could catch a pile of fish in any stream.The best parts of fly fishing to me are that I can fish way more water with a fly in these tiny streams such as the rocky riffles where a worm and sinker will hang up.But the best part is worm fishing I would let the fish swallow the worm making catch and release almost impossible but with a fly most can be released without much loss.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Interesting. Do you remember what trout fishing in Georgia was like in the 60's & 70's? Basically, it was following the stocking truck around to fish for 8" trout. What do we have today? Great tailwater fisheries, public and private trophy streams, year round streams, Delayed Harvest streams that are a blast to fish. We have stream buffer laws to protect the resource because the angling public stood up to the "system" and demanded it. We have riverkeepers on several streams to guard against abuse because enough people cared about the resource to demand it be protected. The reason we have a wonderfully diverse trout fishery now is because there is a larger base of anglers who not only care about it but help fund the management. I fish a lot of streams in north Georgia and western North Carolina on a regular basis and have never found them to be so crowded I was dissatisfied. The most crowded streams I've ever fished? The Madison and Gallatin in Montana and the Green in Utah. But they're still some of my all time favorites. If you want fewer anglers on the water, plan to see diminished fishing opportunities. Then go to battle with PETA and the US Humane Society when they try to make fishing and hunting illegal. I apologize for hijacking this thread but I felt Strangelove's post needed a response.

Got to agree with Jimmy.

To answer the original question, it was shortly after attending a beginner class given for "FREE" by Unicoi outfitters in Helen. I'm an avid trout fisherman and fish just about every weekend. I've participated in the shock studies on the Hooch, volunteered to rebuild streams and much more. The rivers we have today are better now than they were before. The fishing is better and the fish are larger. I don't really care to catch a ton of fish as I try for larger fish and only throw streamers. I've caught more fish over 18 inches in the last 4 months than I did in the previous 3 years. That is due to conservation and I also live in Utah now..

And 99 percent of my catches go back in the water.. :cheers::cheers:

fish hawk

Bass Master
Ditto. If you go hit a blue line, I can almost guarantee that with my fly rod in hand, I can out fish any bait fisherman by at least double. In the summer, for instance, when the water is skinny, I can throw on a 7x or 8x tippet and a #18 or #20 caddis, humpy, or any other popular dry, and ever so delicately drop in on the surface of the skinniest water and provoke a strike. But an average bait fisherman plopping a #12 hook, maybe a sinker, with worm, or a spinner in the same pool will spook the fish and blow the entire pool.
I fished a blue line last summer sometime in June or July. Started at first light. That afternoon, I stopped after I had brought 80 rainbows and brookies combined to hand. That's not to include all the ones that came off the hook, the missed strikes, and the missed hooksets. I actually started to feel bad for sore-lipping so many fish in one creek, so when I hit #80, I just called it a day. The conditions were just right, and the fish just wanted to eat, but I just can't see someone having nearly that kind of success on those tiny fish with a spinning rod.

You talking about just small streams or any trout water?Maybe that's what you mean about a blue line,I don't know.:huh:

T-N-T

Last season. And NO looking back! Thanks to you guys on here who helped me build a starter fly box. And recommend things I would never have figured out. Already planning trips for this year!

T-N-T

You talking about just small streams or any trout water?Maybe that's what you mean about a blue line,I don't know.:huh:

You are correct. Blue and small. Those tiny fellas are great! Kyle hooked me up last year with a real learning experience in these waters.

fish hawk

Bass Master
You are correct. Blue and small. Those tiny fellas are great! Kyle hooked me up last year with a real learning experience in these waters.

Thanks,thats what I thought,walking a thin blue line.....I would think the skinny water philosophy would apply to all fish though.Anyone that has been fishing for a while knows you have to be stealthy when fishing small, shallow waters.I would imagine with really light line,small BB and a small hook with a cricket on the end and a slingshot delivery it could be just as effective in the right hands.

Last edited:

T-N-T

Until you get busted for live bait on an artificial only stream.:eek:

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was lucky that my Granddad put a fly rod in my hand in 1963 at age 5. But he was strictly warm water, bass and bream. I didn't really get into trout until the early '70's. But we didn't chase the stock trucks, we fished underneath the worst log jams we could find on the 'Hooche. There was a dedicated group of BIG trout fishermen around that time that wouldn't use an 8" trout for bait. They broke off a lot of fish but also landed some monsters.

Attachments

• 001 (1296 x 1936).jpg
    001 (1296 x 1936).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 136

BamaRN

A fella goes by the handle Stumper taught me to cast in the hunting and fishing dept of the sports authority in the 90's. think my first real stream was a 5 mile hump through the snow at coopers creek with the same fella been hooked ever since. Have tied a few wooly buggers before. have not been able to do either in quite some time. fixin to rectify that situation real soon.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Only been fly fishing about a year. Had an occasion to watch Randy work a stream, got me interested. Caught a few shoalies my first summer, I"m hooked now.

fredw

Retired Moderator
When I turned 60, I decided to learn two new hobbies....turkey hunting and fly fishing. I've been blessed to see some beautiful country since.....chasing fish with the fly rod in Georgia, Tenn., NC, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Michigan.

metau

I became a fishing fanatic at age 5, and was fly fishing at 9. We visited my uncle while on a family road trip, and he had his own well-stocked pond on his property. He let me try out his fly rod, laughing at me while I failed casting, and figured I could use my own fly rod for when we got back home. One trip to Kmart for a blue light special, and I had my first fly rod. Not knowing how, I tied my own flies with feathers I found on the ground and used my hooks for catfish. They were the darn ugliest things you've ever seen, but the bass in the canals sure did love them.