Soque River Public fishing

dave21182

Just food for thought, but wouldn't it be cheaper to pay and fish the private areas, than getting a trespassing ticket, and/or arrested and appearing in court( fines, lawyers, etc...)???

I will agree that trespassing is not an excuse for deadly force, and if anybody pops a shot at me can expect return fire...

Silver Bullet

Here is the question that I have. So, if there is roughly about a mile of legally fishable water, why are WE paying for the state to stock it?
I never have and probably never will fish trout up there. I am lucky enough to have plenty of trout and PUBLIC water near my parents' place which has spoiled me rotten.

j_seph

I was told not long after Ted purchased it that he sold like 10 permits a year for 1K a piece

tree cutter 08

When they stock that section, most will get caught out before they make it up or down. It gets fished hard. Lines are marked good. You'd know if you crossed one. You'd start seeing yellow signs like billboards in Atlanta.

fishinbub

Yea, that maybe true, but they should know I'm usually packing too, lol, I don't believe I'd be much on just letting a man shoot at me , the problem with some of those your talking about is that just because they own an acre, don't mean they should be shooting at you down the road.

I would not suggest taking a shot at someone on their land. Best case scenario you probably end up in jail for the rest of your life...worst case scenario you have a land owner claiming he feared for his life and a dead body on private property that is holding a gun that has been discharged...

MattKelley

Just a curious thought, if you were to sneak on the private land while carrying and were caught with a trout in possession would that be armed robbery? I sold boots to the guy that owned Rainbow Ranch (I think) on the Hooch and he said the kids caught fishing in his ponds at night would be charged with armed robbery if they had a knife on them. He may have just been talking like grown men sometimes do, but again just curious.

fishinbub

Just a curious thought, if you were to sneak on the private land while carrying and were caught with a trout in possession would that be armed robbery? I sold boots to the guy that owned Rainbow Ranch (I think) on the Hooch and he said the kids caught fishing in his ponds at night would be charged with armed robbery if they had a knife on them. He may have just been talking like grown men sometimes do, but again just curious.

Doubtful. I'm not lawyer but I believe the possession of a weapon is all it takes to bump a robbery to an armed robbery. That being said, I don't think you could get a conviction (or charges, even) of robbery for catching someone's fish. Usually robbery (as opposed to petty theft) means you used force or at least intimidation.

The mtn man

I would not suggest taking a shot at someone on their land. Best case scenario you probably end up in jail for the rest of your life...worst case scenario you have a land owner claiming he feared for his life and a dead body on private property that is holding a gun that has been discharged...

My quote you responded to was in reference to my response to north ga sportsman regarding move ins that come to the mountain and think they own everything, just so you know I've never trespassed on the soque, nor would I ever, there's too much good public land fishing around here to go catching someone's heavyweight fed fish. Some good trout on public streams , that is if you can catch them.

The mtn man

Some monster trout on public water!

Yea buddy!! I have a buddy from Robinsville that catches some huge browns from public water on a regular basis, he speaks brown trout aparently, some of the pics he shows me, I just have to shake my head, he strictly fishes nymphs and streamers, I just don't have the touch like some do. He has proved over and over there their, if you know how to catch them.

NC Scout

Yea buddy!! I have a buddy from Robinsville that catches some huge browns from public water on a regular basis, he speaks brown trout aparently, some of the pics he shows me, I just have to shake my head, he strictly fishes nymphs and streamers, I just don't have the touch like some do. He has proved over and over there their, if you know how to catch them.

There's brown trout as big as your leg in some of the streams in Graham Co. and rainbows that ain't too shabby either. There's a reason they get that big, you have to crawl over boulders the size of houses to get at them. The further you crawl, the better the fishing gets and you don't have to deal with ornery rulers of one acre fishing patches.

The mtn man

There's brown trout as big as your leg in some of the streams in Graham Co. and rainbows that ain't too shabby either. There's a reason they get that big, you have to crawl over boulders the size of houses to get at them. The further you crawl, the better the fishing gets and you don't have to deal with ornery rulers of one acre fishing patches.

I hear ya!!! There's an average sized creek here in Clay county that a guy showed me some huge browns he caught from, I fished that creek all my life and had no idea trout like that lived in there, I did catch a brown below the mouth once that was 28 1/2 inches. Caught it nymphing, I had no idea what I was doing, just got lucky I guess.

jbaird

Just stick to the public land. They're more than enough big trout, besides fish don't know boundries. I usually fish it from the cable to the bridge. I have had one person tell me that I could not fish at the cable. I kindly told him as long as I was on my side there was nothing he could say. He moaned and groaned then proceeded to tell me that if I caught a big one I would have to throw it back. Needless to say I just laughed at him and continued fishing. Just so happened a Federal Game Warden over heard every word and proceeded to tell the gentleman the law. He basically told the man that fish have no boundries. I figure if they want to feed em and fat em up and they float down and I just happen to catch one I say good for me and thanks.

ripplerider

Graham co. is high on my list of places to fish. Only got to fish it one weekend while hog hunting with my ex-wifes kinfolk but I managed to roll a good one while spinner-fishing. Couldnt close the deal however. North Carolina is definitely blessed with good trout water.

shakey gizzard

Graham co. is high on my list of places to fish. Only got to fish it one weekend while hog hunting with my ex-wifes kinfolk but I managed to roll a good one while spinner-fishing. Couldnt close the deal however. North Carolina is definitely blessed with good trout water.

My next road trip will be for a NC trout!

Latest posts