Cohutta WMA 20th-Thanksgiving

FX Jenkins

Alright, I tried this thread about a month ago..maybe it was too soon and I actually put it in the wrong place (north GA hunting). It got alot of views but no responses so here comes the challange again...Anyone going in...or is the terrain to steep for you? Im not asking you to give up your honey holes. Just some feedback.
Having seen bear in there for the past 12 yrs, but passing them up for the thought of having to pack em out...Im going in light this year and hope to come out heavy. Thanks

srss

good luck fx i have gotten a lot of exercise at cohutta its all steep i shot at a 150+ pound bear 2 years ago while bow hunting it may have been a good thing i missed because it would have been hard to get out. i used to hunt cohutta a lot but i have never seen a buck. last time i went and camped we stayed the whole week and didnt see anything and one morning it was 8 degrees not good when your staying in a tent but anyway i still like to go

FX Jenkins

Thanks SRSS, Ive taken one six point out of there...and seen 2 monsters..I mean 10's..one on the hike in and the other chasing off the six pointer I shot. Another guy in our party took out a nice blackie 2 years ago. You do get your excercise and the weather can make you want to stay in the sack but your right..there is nothing like it...

WildBuck

I gave up hunting Cohutta WMA several years ago. If you do not backpack in some where you will see other hunters. I have had them come in and set up with me trying to flag them off with a flashlight. There are usually some good deer killed up there every year. There is not a big population of deer but if you see one chances are it will be a good one. Did i mention it gets really coooold up there. I have never hunted there without the coooold wind blowing.If you have hunted there for 12 years you know what i am talking about. Good luck and kill a big'un.

FX Jenkins

Yea and the tempertures usually change overnight...you'll hike in wearing a short sleeve tshirt and wake up to a hard frost or freezing rain...looks like the hike in is going to be in the rain this year...Dalton? I'll be coming through your neck of the woods about 3 am Friday morn...

JonnyCatch5

lots of bear in the past

i have hunted here for many years and have killed 4 bears, largest going 265lbs. where i hunt is about 5 miles in and straight up and down. it took me and my brother 2 days to pack it out and the game warden really didnt like us doing it. but i have seen a few deer in the area, all being giants, if you going for a deer, dont get your hopes up, you might be disappionted. :confused:

MCBUCK

Dissapointed Murrayite

If the darn bureaucrats would keep off Cohutta "Mismanagment" Area :banginghe it would be a great place to hunt the big ones again ! Used to be a place you could see a nice buck with a little work , now the only thing I can seem to come up with is skinny does and Winnebagos !! Some dude had driven a Winnebago up Mill Creek to Hickey Gap and out the 630-c road !! My 4x4 slides on that road !! Guess he'll have a nice time gettin that out after the rain. :bounce:

FX Jenkins

1 heavy Hog

Well fella's, It was a nice rainy camping trip for me but my buddy killed a big hog down off of rice camp trail. He carried a stand down in there, set up on scrape, and here come Mrs Piggy down the ridge 30 min after he climbed in his stand. Ole boy made two trips carrying her out with the head and two front shoulders weighing 80lbs.
We drove up and car camped at the end of East Cowpen Rd. and hunted around the Jiggers Creek flats...man there were a lot of hunters in there..a Tree stand on every thicket, 4 of the 5 I came across while still hunting the rain were empty.. 3 different parties told the check-in station about a big un that slipped past them on opening morn but no one got a shot on him last I heard. I can't see how he got past everybody...This was my first time hunting the outskirts of a WMA, guess thats the way it is...