Shipping Ammo through the Post Office

Marlin_444

My understanding (and practice) has been to package my Ammo well, go to the Post Office advise them it has flammable Material; they issue a ORM-D Sticker, place it on the package and pay the shipping fee...

Anyone else have a twist on this?

This issue/question comes up frequently, some folks believe they MUST use either UPS or FED EX to ship Ammo...

I say not so, what say you?

Ron

robertyb

My understanding (and practice) has been to package my Ammo well, go to the Post Office advise them it has flammable Material; they issue a ORM-D Sticker, place it on the package and pay the shipping fee...

Anyone else have a twist on this?

This issue/question comes up frequently, some folks believe they MUST use either UPS or FED EX to ship Ammo...

Ron

Read this for a good answer:

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html

bevills1

That link give UPS criteria, not USPS. I've read shipping ammo by USPS isn't allowed, and the post office probably wouldn't ship the package if told the package contains ammo if what I've read is true. Maybe somebody can try it and let us know.

Marlin_444

That link give UPS criteria, not USPS. I've read shipping ammo by USPS isn't allowed, and the post office probably wouldn't ship the package if told the package contains ammo if what I've read is true. Maybe somebody can try it and let us know.

I do it all the time... Go in, tell them; get my ORM-D Sticker and pay the fee... Whatever works!

Ron

You cannot ship live ammo through the United States Postal service. You can ship components, even primers, and primed cases, but not loaded ammo.

I say that USPS says different.

From the Domestic Mail Manual, The Bible of USPS:

8.5 Harmful Matter—General

Except as provided in this document, any article, composition, or material is nonmailable if it can kill or injure another or injure the mail or other property. Harmful matter includes, but is not limited to:

a. All types and classes of poisons, including controlled substances.

b. All poisonous animals except scorpions mailed for medical research purposes or for the manufacture of antivenom; all poisonous insects; all poisonous reptiles; and all types of snakes, turtles, and spiders.

c. All disease germs or scabs.

d. All explosives, flammable material, infernal machines, and mechanical, chemical, or other devices or compositions that may ignite or explode.

8.6 Hazardous Materials

Harmful matter also includes regulated hazardous materials as defined in 10.0 that are likely to harm USPS employees or to destroy, deface, or otherwise damage mail or postal equipment. This includes materials such as caustic poisons (acids and alkalies), oxidizers, or highly flammable liquids, gases, or solids; or materials that are likely, under conditions incident to transportation, to cause fires through friction, absorption of moisture, or spontaneous chemical changes or from retained heat from manufacturing or processing, including explosives or containers previously used for shipping high explosives with a liquid ingredient (such as dynamite), ammunition, fireworks, radioactive materials, matches, or articles emitting obnoxious odors.

Whatever works!

So it's legal for me to ship a bomb through the UPS because the Unabomber did it?

njanear

For those that don't like to read the regs: have you ever looked at the big poster on the wall of the PO that shows all manners of 'dangerous materials' that they can't ship? If you look closely at the poster, you will see a picture of ammunition. ;)

polaris30144

I do it all the time... Go in, tell them; get my ORM-D Sticker and pay the fee... Whatever works!

Ron

Did you ever actually tell them you are shipping ammunition? I suspect omission of the fact by declaring something else will not relieve you of arrest if the package were to be opened for inspection by postal inspectors. Just because someone breaks a law and gets away with it, doesn't make it ok.

bevills1

Ammunition is probably considered "explosive material" by USPS, and stating it's "flammable material" is not an accurate description. I believe post #6 is incorrect regarding shipment of primers by USPS. Primers and powder are subject to hazardous materials (HAZMAT) fees when shipped by UPS which also requires primers and powder be shipped separately, and I doubt it's legal to ship primers by USPS. Primed cases might be allowed because UPS doesn't charge HAZMAT fees on primed cases, but I'm not sure of the USPS rules for primed cases.

bevills1

Ammo is listed as hazardous material by USPS, but it must not be considered hazardous material by UPS because no HAZMAT fees are charged by UPS for shipping ammo.

WTM45

Federal DOT sets the regulations, and makes the requirements for labeling.
Carriers charge what they want to charge for the service.
USPS just blanket prohibits ammunition, powders and primers.

I believe post #6 is incorrect regarding shipment of primers by USPS. Primers and powder are subject to hazardous materials (HAZMAT) fees when shipped by UPS which also requires primers and powder be shipped separately, and I doubt it's legal to ship primers by USPS. Primed cases might be allowed because UPS doesn't charge HAZMAT fees on primed cases, but I'm not sure of the USPS rules for primed cases.

Well, Dude, I made the post #6, and I'm here to tell you that I was flat out wrong.

It USED to be that way, but I haven't shipped supplies in a while, so apparently it's changed.

While the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) is a little vague, there is a USPS publication that spells out what can and can't be shipped, and here's the link

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm

R

redneckcamo

Ammunition is probably considered "explosive material" by USPS, and stating it's "flammable material" is not an accurate description. I believe post #6 is incorrect regarding shipment of primers by USPS. Primers and powder are subject to hazardous materials (HAZMAT) fees when shipped by UPS which also requires primers and powder be shipped separately, and I doubt it's legal to ship primers by USPS. Primed cases might be allowed because UPS doesn't charge HAZMAT fees on primed cases, but I'm not sure of the USPS rules for primed cases.

I recently called ups too ask about shipping some primers an they told me I had too have a hazmat contract too ship primers with them .....primed cases they said I can ship without one ..................... as far as ammo goes ''IF'' I ship some ammo it will be ups ground an then I have too go too the ups hub too do that ......

WTM45

Well, Dude, I made the post #6, and I'm here to tell you that I was flat out wrong.

It USED to be that way, but I haven't shipped supplies in a while, so apparently it's changed.

While the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) is a little vague, there is a USPS publication that spells out what can and can't be shipped, and here's the link

Good post. There is the definitive answer straight from the USPS.

R

redneckcamo

based on that rite there .......this discussion is pretty much over aint it !!! good post 25.06 :flag:

dertiedawg

I just love it when someone shows the PROOF!! Good post 25-06. Ron send me all your ammo via UPS.

Marlin_444

I just love it when someone shows the PROOF!! Good post 25-06. Ron send me all your ammo via UPS.

I stand corrected...

Heading to UPS...

Ron

Brad C.

That is correct.

You can ship ammo UPS ground only.

You can ship ammo with Fed X, but you have to set up an account with them and they will pick it up at your door. They charge a pretty good premium to do so on top of shipping your ammo.

bevills1

redneckcamo, you might check www.yp.bellsouth.com to see if there's a UPS store near you. I used to have to go 22 miles to the UPS hub in Forest Park until about 3 years ago when a UPS store opened less than a mile from me.