Team #4 Thunder Chicken Assassins

Ricochet

I'm going to be upset if my 1 bonus point DQ costs us in the long run. :( Any ways, I'm going in the AM and I'll be shooting for a 10-point swamp monster! :)

Ricochet

I'm going to be upset if my 1 bonus point DQ costs us in the long run. :( Any ways, I'm going in the AM and I'll be shooting for a 10-point swamp monster! :)
Well, I had one on the roost gobbling hard at everything and on the ground - then I got busted when moving in on him. :banginghe I got on a couple of more birds but no dice. Then near 1PM I saw one while driving around, so I parked the truck and went after him. After him gobbling good at me and crows he finally came in and I blasted him! He was a nice 2 year old, but not the monster I was hoping for. Video and photos coming up later. :)

peanutman04

RATTLESNAKE WRANGLER
man you have had a heck of a season! congrats again! didn't get to go this am (long nite and had to work). plan on going in the am though.

ryanwhit

Nice work ricochet. Enjoy the success you're having this season...it won't always be like this!! LOL.

I went this morning, heard nothing and saw nothing. Going tomorrow with a buddy on his place.

Ricochet

man you have had a heck of a season! congrats again! didn't get to go this am (long nite and had to work). plan on going in the am though.

Thanks and good luck in the AM!

Nice work ricochet. Enjoy the success you're having this season...it won't always be like this!! LOL.

I went this morning, heard nothing and saw nothing. Going tomorrow with a buddy on his place.
Thanks and good luck to you in the AM as well. Yeah, that's what I'm afraid - I think I might have set the bar too high this season. :O ;) LOL

I'm going in the AM with my son - I hope to get him his first bird. I know a couple of good spots to try. :)

Ricochet

BTW, here is a pic of me and bird #5:

SC thunder chicken #5 by RicochetFX4, on Flickr

My son and I got on a strutter and a hen yesterday. We failed to close the deal on him after moving on them, but I found out why he was hanging around and strutting with this hen. She had a nest right there and we found it after she ran off acting crazy and scaring us. It was my first time finding poults...they were probably just 2-3 days old. We quickly left and I saw her go back to them as we drove off. Pretty cool find - I think my son enjoyed that more than anything.

Last edited:

stringmusic

To Be Determined
Wow, just wow. Thats about all I got left fellas.

I hunted Saturday morning and didn't hear anything close by so I set up in one of the fields of the property I hunt. I set up with a big bush on my right side and good cover in front of me overlooking the field.

About 9:15 I get a call from the mans wife that lets me hunt the property, she tells me there 4 birds in the field on the other side of the road(small dirt road that they cross all the time) to my right.

So, I move around to the other side of the bush where I would be hidden really good when and if they come in on my right.

Well what do ya know, about 9:30 two toms come in from the bottom of the field from my left. One heads back into the woods and the other heads my way. He is looking at the one hen decoy I had set up in front of me.

I'm not hidden very good at all on the left side of me from me moving. My gun is pointing at 1 o'clock and he is coming in a 9 o'clock looking dead in my direction the whole time, so I couldn't move at all, I'm just hoping he comes on in to the decoy without seeing me. He gets to 31 yards( I walked it off after he left) and he sees me, he can't really figure out what I am but he knows something is up, heads back into the woods in a quick walk.:banginghe:banginghe

I probably should have tried to quick shoot him but I thought he would come on in to the decoy. I thought I was going to cry, absolutely heartbroken. He would have been my biggest bird easily and easily a bonus bird for the team. He had an absolute rope hanging. Makes me sick to even think about. :banginghe:banginghe

I'm still trying to get it done before the season is out and I'm trying my best. This has been one miserable season as far as getting a bird in the dirt.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
Oh, and congrats agian Richochet, your having the exact opposite season I am. :bounce:

ryanwhit

Man String, I hate that for you!! Keep at it, it'll come together for you. Sometimes you can't do anything wrong and sometimes you can't do anything right! All you can do is take your beatings like a man and come back for more...

peanutman04

RATTLESNAKE WRANGLER
hey stringmusic, you ain't the only one having a tough season! my brother (who usually limits out by the 3rd weekend) hasn't had any luck as well. he did kill a tree yesterday though.:D he called one up to within 20 yards and somehow managed to shoot a pine tree! that makes the 2nd one he's missed this year. we went with a friend. we split up, my buddy and i went one way and brother went the other way. brother was surrounded by gobbling birds and of course we didn't hear a peep!:confused:

hoppie

Man that does suck string. Hate it for ya, but I had my year like that about 4 years ago. The next year I was done by the second weekend, so maybe you will have a crazy season next year. Well this year is not over yet, so maybe you will get lucky.

ryanwhit

Boy, all my hunting outing the past few days have been lackluster! Not even a peep.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
Boy, all my hunting outing the past few days have been lackluster! Not even a peep.

Yep, I think things are winding down fast!:cry:

I am getting an afternoon hunt in today, hopfully I can snag our 12th bird!:cool:

peanutman04

RATTLESNAKE WRANGLER
got out of the truck this am and one was hammering it! i mean he was gobbling every breath! i had to walk a long ways to get to him. i got to within 100 yards of him but he was across the property line. while i was sitting down he flew down. he must have been roosted on a field or something because when i finally called to him he was a 1/2 mile away! i could barely hear him. i wish i had called to him before he flew down. oh well, i was proud to just hear one! on a side note my brother finally got one, double beard! i might go try that bird again after church.

ryanwhit

got out of the truck this am and one was hammering it! i mean he was gobbling every breath! i had to walk a long ways to get to him. i got to within 100 yards of him but he was across the property line. while i was sitting down he flew down. he must have been roosted on a field or something because when i finally called to him he was a 1/2 mile away! i could barely hear him. i wish i had called to him before he flew down. oh well, i was proud to just hear one! on a side note my brother finally got one, double beard! i might go try that bird again after church.

That's good news!! Now you know where he is, hope you have some time to stay after him!!

Ricochet

I hunted GA this weekend and had no luck. It's so hit or miss at my grandpa's place (usually miss). I did hear some gobbling this morning but it was way off (off property). :( Going to try again next weekend at a bigger place with more turkeys. :)

hoppie

Lets go boys gotta put one more up. Folks have caught up.