2017 TBG Central Zone Hunt

pine nut

Is there room to park a pop-up camper in the primitive camping area? Planning to go down Thursday mid day (sort of).

Allen Oliver

Don't look like I am going. I would have to leave Friday morning. Plus I am finally seeing some deer at my club. Six miles from home.

bronco611

every time a hunt comes up i have more to do on those days than I usually do all month! Hopefully I can make chickasaw after deer season

Clipper

I left yesterday about 2:00 pm and as of that time Pine Nut and I were only two trad hunters. He had found big buck sign and was planning to stay and hunt Sunday morning. I shot one that I could not find. Will post the story later, when I have more time.

pine nut

Jeff Barwick stopped by for a while and hatchet bow Dan too. It was good to see them even though they couldn't hunt due to work problems. David and I gave it a good effort and talked with a few compounders and crossbow shooters. There were a couple of others that hunted too. I never saw a deer but discovered a big one iif big feet and big horned trees count. I think they have gone totally nocturnal. Another young man there said he scraped leaves into the pawings he had found and they wee every one freshened by morning but he saw nothing either. I had a big-in crossing the road everyday at one of two crossing points close together, but when I walked only maybe 50 ft. in on the trail on one side and 100 yards on the other side, he moved several hundred yards and had not used the trail again when I left. He was a good'un if big feet indicate anything... lots of horning on big stuff too. It was fun even with the poor showing. Lots of tracks but heavily hunted recently according to a young man who was there last weekend

Clipper

I arrived Wednesday in time to get to the woods and hang my climber in what I thought would be a funnel. It had hog sign too, which convinced me. I was 16’ and ready a few minutes after shooting light Thursday morning and about a half hour later I hear something behind me. I cautiously peek around the tree and see a deer feeding towards me. I slowly stand and by now can see it is 2 yearlings and a big doe. The closest yearling walks directly under me and starts sniffing the ground and licking the weeds where I laid my bow that morning. I say to myself, “this is gonna go south really quick” and consider a straight down shot which I really don’t want to take. I move my foot ever so slightly and make a very low noise and she looks up at me and we do a stare down for what seems like a minute. To my surprise, she turns and walks back toward the other two deer. I still don’t have a shot at any of the deer.
The mature doe finally starts walking around to my left side and when I think she is far enough around for a shot I raise my bow and draw while her eyes are behind a tree. When she stops I pick my spot at the bottom of her chest directly behind her front leg (I actually remembered to pick a spot:clap: ) and release. I immediately hear a metallic clank and watch my arrow bury up right in front of her hind quarter. The bottom limb of my bow had hit the climbing cable that was protruding 1” out the front of my top stand because the tree was so small. My top stand is open front but I hadn’t allowed for that and was sick and really mad at myself.
I came down and started looking for sign at 10:30 and managed to track her about 100 yards from disturbed leaves, hoof prints, and an occasional spot of intestinal contents on the river cane leaves she brushed up against. I lost her when she hit the hardwoods and quit running. I came back after lunch and walked the woods but to no avail. I never saw buzzards the rest of the week so I don’t know what happened to her, but I’m sure she died a slow and painful death unless the coyotes or a cat found her. The rest of my week was uneventful.
Pine Nut got down Thursday afternoon and was good company. We camped and ate together and spent time talking. The two of us were the only TBG hunters there all week. Dan Beckwith and Jeff Barwick stopped by Saturday afternoon to visit. I really wanted to walk the river swamp looking for hogs but due to a bad upper respiratory infection and stomach trouble was too weak so I stayed with my climber all week. I did walk a couple of hours on Friday and saw some pretty territory. From what I saw the area has a good deer and hog population but also is a popular hunting area. I would go back.
All-in-all a good time and enjoyed Bill’s company much. Thanks to Jeff for organizing the hunt.

hogdgz

I wanted to make this one but I forgot we had a wedding shower for some friends to go too. There are some good deer on Flint River. I drive through there all the time and my buddy has some test plots across the road and sees good deer up there. Sorry I missed it.