Felsenthal WMA NW Ark

Heading out to Felsenthal WMA with some buddies in the next week or so. Never hunted this WMA, but have hunted the Meto and White River with some success. Anyone got any good info on this place? Trying to make sure we at least have some kind of idea of where to go when we start scouting.

Thanks

vowell462

Ill be there the second week of January. Have been going there every year since 2003. The hunting is hit or miss. Ive had mornings where we are limited out in an hour, and ive spent four days without killing anything.

Felsenthal is in south AR just north of Bastrop La, near Crossett Ar, not NW. It is also a National Wildlife Refuge, not a WMA. I only correct you on that as the wardens are federal, have an office there, and patrol regularly. They do enforce the law. The biggest thing is to familiarize yourself with the map and do not go into the waterfowl sanc at all. You cant even fish it or take a boat in it from Oct to Feb. It is very hard to identify while on the water as markers are not easy to see.

To start off, put in at the Old Beer Joint landing at the HWY 82 bridge. Head north up the river into Grand Marinas Saline ( spelling) Lake. There is plenty of room up there and you are a good enough distance from the refuge sanctuary that you will be safe. Explore throughout and you will find some birds. Also, the Pine Island Access is good, but a lot more trees in the water. Head either north or south but stick to the east side of the river to be away from the impoundment.

Again, Felsenthal can be decent, but don't put much into it. I go there mainly because of the beauty. You will see other hunters, and a lot of fisherman. Also, take a cpl of bass rods with you. Really good fishing in the afternoons.

PM me if you would like any other details.

*not a WMA and not in NW Ark

1. More people than ducks
2. You will need a GPS the place is covered with cypress knees and submerged cut timber. It's not like the Meto or White where you can just take off through the timber. You will need to stay in the sloughs.
3. As mentioned above the place is hit and miss, but best when the north part of the state is locked up with ice.
4. As mentioned above better fishing than duck killing

I would expect to kill a couple woodies and maybe a stray big duck or two if you don't hunt the place regularly, don't expect a tailgate full. There is a lot better public options out there!

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I am familiar with the Eagle lake area on the north end but the sanctuary is near but well marked. You can run the timber trails depending on water depth. If you have some time, check out Seven Devils near Monticello.

MudDucker

Staff member
I've got a buddy that goes almost every year and does well. I've also heard stories of overcrowding and belligerent locals.

XJfire75

*not a WMA and not in NW Ark

1. More people than ducks
2. You will need a GPS the place is covered with cypress knees and submerged cut timber. It's not like the Meto or White where you can just take off through the timber. You will need to stay in the sloughs.
3. As mentioned above the place is hit and miss, but best when the north part of the state is locked up with ice.
4. As mentioned above better fishing than duck killing

I would expect to kill a couple woodies and maybe a stray big duck or two if you don't hunt the place regularly, don't expect a tailgate full. There is a lot better public options out there!

X2. Went a few years back. Killed a mixed bag 2 days of 4 and then made our way to the White and closer to Stuttgart. Good luck!