Great Stew For a Cold Night

ryork

Cooking for myself tonight, and had a little craving for some oysters. Decided to do a low-country version of an oyster stew. Rendered down some bacon and then added some diced onions. Added a touch of walnut oil to give it a little nuttiness. Added some flour to make a roux. Did half regular ole flour and half benne seed flour which gave it that dark color. Cooked that to get a little golden color to it and added the oyster liquor, some fresh squeezed lemon juice, a dash of w'shire, a dash or two of hot sauce and some chicken stock. Let that thicken down for several minutes and then added the oysters. Not good for the cholesterol level, but this stuff was FINE!

Attachments

• 1-12 (1).jpg
    1-12 (1).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 1-12 (2).jpg
    1-12 (2).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 397
  • 1-12 (3).jpg
    1-12 (3).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 1-12 (4).jpg
    1-12 (4).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 1-12 (6).jpg
    1-12 (6).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 1-12 (7).jpg
    1-12 (7).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 397

Big7

The Oracle
Never tried it like that.

Bet it was good !

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Me either until tonight. As far as an oyster stew, that was the best I've had.

Going to spin that a tad and give it a try, ryork. Never really tried it as a roux, but have used heavy cream in the past. Been eating it for years, just happen to have a half gallon of frozen oysters.

Yep, I said frozen.

naildrvr

That's a fine looking meal. Bet it was good.

little rascal

Looks very Good!

There must have been something about roux/gravy last night. I woke up this morning thinking about some raw oysters???

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Lawsy O that looks stick to your ribs good.

ryork

Never really tried it as a roux, but have used heavy cream in the past.

Yep, any oyster stew/soup I've ever made or had involved cream and some sort of alcohol like brandy or sherry. I think that is the more elegant version, this was a little on the rustic side. The key to it was that benne seed flour which gave it a little nutty flavor. Kind of hard to find, but I would think a soy or sorghum flour would yield the same results.

Appreciate the comments!!

Dub

Wow.

Man, Chef Paul Prudhomme is looking down at you and grinning with approval.

That had to be super flavorful. Nicely done, sir. Much respect to your culinary skills.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Fantastic!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Dr. Strangelove

That looks awesome! I've never tried it that way before. Luckily I keep a few cans of Dafuski oysters in the pantry at all times for an oyster stew emergency, and I may just have to break a couple out on this cold evening.