Anybody chamber .35 Whelen anymore?

GAHUNTER60

Yeah, I know you can still get the Remington 760 in the Whelen, but some folks don't really care for pump rifles (including me). I guess what I'm asking is does anybody make a bolt action rifle in The Colonel's .35?

So far my research has revealed that you can still get one from some of the semi-custom builders, like Montana Rifle Company, for a semi-custom price ($1,750, in the case of the Montana Rifle), or you can simply have a .30-'06 (or one of its offspring calibers, like .270, .280, etc.), Rebarreled to Whelen, which is cheaper than the semi-custom route (this is what I did).

Of course there is another alternative: you can buy a CZ 550 in 9.3x 62 (the metric twin of the Whelen) for about $750 and be done with it. CZ builds a nice rifle, and the 9.3 is a real thumper.

I keep reading that Remington periodically releases some Model 700s in .35, but I have not seen any.

It's a shame the .35 caliber never really caught on in America. Unless you've hunted with one, it's hard to describe it's effect on game.

Saw a M700 SS fluted barrel in .35 Whelen NIB for sale on either GA or GI just the other day. You can search, easily by caliber on either site. I sold my SS M77 Hawkeye in .358 about two weeks ago, but plan on keeping the SS Hawkeye I have in .35 Whelen.

The .358 will be replaced by a rebored M70 Super Grade in .308 rebored to .358. You could do a lot worse than a $1200 Super Grade in .270 or '06, rebored to .35W.

I own a CZ 550 Carbine in 9.3x62, my second CZ in 9.3x62. IMHO, the CZ 550 is not nearly as nice as the FNH M70.

Yotedawg

If you have an old Savage long action rifle laying around, it could be made into a Whelen very easily. Buy a custom pre threaded and chambered barrel and screw that sucker into the action, headspace it, lock the barrel nut down, and you have yourself a Whelen.

GAHUNTER60

I don't need one. I had a Model 70 rebarreled to .35 Whelen some years back. I was just wondering who, if anyone, is building one these days.

Lukikus2

My Dad gave me a .35 Rem before he passed and absolutely loved it. I want to dial it in but is $40 plus a box of shells the norm? Not to get off subject but not many.35 posts surface.

shane256

35 Whelen has become pretty popular in MS and LA... single shots, though. There are a number of those out there... T/C Encore, CVA, and some others.

rosewood

If you have an old Savage long action rifle laying around, it could be made into a Whelen very easily. Buy a custom pre threaded and chambered barrel and screw that sucker into the action, headspace it, lock the barrel nut down, and you have yourself a Whelen.

That is what I was gonna say. I have considered the whelen or even a 358 winchester. But haven't pulled the trigger yet. I converted a 110 into a .260 Remington.

Rosewood

rosewood

My Dad gave me a .35 Rem before he passed and absolutely loved it. I want to dial it in but is $40 plus a box of shells the norm? Not to get off subject but not many.35 posts surface.

I have CVA single shot in 35 remington. Hunted with it all season and it is a joy to shoot and carry. Started casting a couple of years ago and using the cast boolits, I can roll them myself at about 25 cent per shot. About 60 cent per shot if you go with jacketed.

Some of the traditional cartridges are becoming "exotic" in the pricing these days.

Rosewood

I have a very nice Ruger number one in 35 Whelen, there are still one or two left on gun broker. IIRC, 2016 or 17 manufacture, and not exactly a bolt action.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

I agree

I agree it's a shame.
We need more .33-35 caliber rifles that shoot bottle-necked high velocity rifle rounds using bullets over 200 grains.

Well, maybe we don't "need" them, but there is sure ROOM FOR THEM in the spectrum of big game hunting rifle calibers. We've got an overload of light, fast flat-shooting bullets in the 6.5 mm - 7.62 mm bore size, using 110-180 grain bullets.

Heavy bullets are out of style now.
Everybody wants velocity, and (to a lesser extent) kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is best maximized by boosting velocity, not mass. So.... we get light bullets being the new normal in most calibers, except .223, which used to be considered a 300-yard varmint round, and which is now seen as a legit big-game hunting round with 70+ grain bullets (and faster rifling twists).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree it's a shame.
We need more .33-35 caliber rifles that shoot bottle-necked high velocity rifle rounds using bullets over 200 grains.

Well, maybe we don't "need" them, but there is sure ROOM FOR THEM in the spectrum of big game hunting rifle calibers. We've got an overload of light, fast flat-shooting bullets in the 6.5 mm - 7.62 mm bore size, using 110-180 grain bullets.

Heavy bullets are out of style now.
Everybody wants velocity, and (to a lesser extent) kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is best maximized by boosting velocity, not mass. So.... we get light bullets being the new normal in most calibers, except .223, which used to be considered a 300-yard varmint round, and which is now seen as a legit big-game hunting round with 70+ grain bullets (and faster rifling twists).

I am a fan of and a firm believer in heavy bullets. The heavier the better.