Anybody ever canned deer meat?

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
This is my first go at it. This is either gonna be really good or a major disaster. Here is a pic of all the meat I plan on canning. Will post updates through out the day.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpg
    IMG_5754.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 283

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Had to take a break and had a buddy come over for a few but finally have the meat trimmed and cut up. Have to run take care of a few things and when I get back I will start packing and canning.

Attachments

• IMG_5758.jpg
    IMG_5758.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 268

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Got about half put in jars. Figured I would try out some before doing it all. L-R 1 jar with famous daves 3 jars no seasoning just the canning salt and 3 jars with a clove of garlic added. Now the fun part begins. Never used a pressure cooker.

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 255

Jeff Raines

I've thought about doing it,but having to maintain a constant vigil for 90 mins watching the psi for only 6 quarts at a time makes me use a freezer.

Dr. Strangelove

I never have, but a good friend's mom did. That stuff was awesome and gave you a lot more storage options than frozen.

hunterofopportunity

I watched this done on a Fitzgerald hunting show it looks like it would be easy enough. I was fishing in Alaska several years ago and a guy next to us was canning his salmon, looked awful but tasted good.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Just got done with the last batch. The ones with the garlic are a little too much on the garlic. The ones with just the salt are pretty good, the ones with famous daves are really good. I made this last batch with famous daves. I canned a total of 15 pints. I did it in 2 batches because this was my first shot at it. Next time I will do it all at one time. I can do upto 16 pints in the canner that I have.

If you haven't done it before I recommend that you give it a try if you have a pressure canner. I cut all the silver skin off but you don't have too as it will become super tender in the canning process.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I watched this done on a Fitzgerald hunting show it looks like it would be easy enough. I was fishing in Alaska several years ago and a guy next to us was canning his salmon, looked awful but tasted good.

Yep. We've got some. Looks awful, but when you open the jar there is ZERO fish smell like the stuff you buy in the grocery store. :cool::cool:

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
I've thought about doing it,but having to maintain a constant vigil for 90 mins watching the psi for only 6 quarts at a time makes me use a freezer.

I'm not sure about the older canners but the one I have you don't really have to watch it like a hawk. I did on the 1st batch because I had never used it. Today I would check it about every 30 mins. I was cleaning out my truck and set it up close by so I could hear and see if something didn't look right. I only did 7 pints because it was my first go. Next time I will do the 16 that my cooker can hold. I don't have a lot of freezer space so this was a good way to help save freezer space and have something different to eat.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !

It doesn't look to appetizing once it's done, but if you shake it up to mix up the juices it doesn't look as bad. You can't beat the taste either.

Duff

Haven't done any in a long while but it is great heated in a pan with BBQ sauce for a quick BBQ sandwich. Need to can some next season.