Is the atheistic view/belief/reality that there is free-will? - Thx.

ambush80

1. Am right there as well.
Plus, what 'gets' me, personally anyways, is that i have to accept that e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g i *imagine/think or see or feel or what in the heck ever :- ) is brought to me via my senses.
So don't i need to ask myself,
"Self, how good are YOUR senses really?"
Moreover, i go thru my silly little everyday life thinking i sorta really know what is kinda going on;
however, all that stuff that i know is going on i need to understanding is not actual REALity... it is sensory based/filtered/perceived reality.
E.g., is your and my green actually the same green??????
2. Wow.
Kewl thought.
Lemme take a whirl at building an addition onto your thought...
My knee jerk/1st pass thought on this would be that an atheist should be able to conclude that that 'view of life'
(IF you will permit me to call atheism a 'view of life' - i am supposing some might be able to state a fine case that it is not ... & they have probably thought it thru much more than i have ... not sure/dunno)
is analyse-able without any consideration of the existence of a deity.
Seems to me that it needs to be a stand all alone evaluation.
If one concludes atheism is valid.... no further thought needed at that time.
If one concludes atheism is invalid .... i think that leaves one as agnostic if/until some believed in view of life is subscribe to??????

There are different ways to know "what's going on". We can talk about green as a wavelength. The description of the wavelength read by an instrument will appear the same for all of us. Arguing against it would be silly.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
There is a yes to that.
There is a no to that.

As to the yes.

Holding to a doctrine of election...does not at all guarantee that one is "of the elect". If I see what you may be saying correctly. It has no power (as a statement) to show final disposition (if it is being used as such) to the "later" you speak of.

Taking one's final stand here is shown ultimately to be of no finality, whatever. In some way (or at least one way) it is no more than a description of mechanism, no? And if so, mechanism has in itself no innate (power? ability? of explanation...) its observation and conclusions made through such observation may be made to appear, by explanation, no more than randomness, to some even, chaos. (which becomes a very difficult row to hoe if one tasks themselves with proving to another...an "orderly God".)

But that is the inherent problem with tasking oneself.

Holding to a doctrine of election...does not at all guarantee that one is "of the elect".

That was my point.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yup, my perspective
(& am certainly willing to learn & modify :- )....
is that agnosticism is by definition (?) a defined 'perspective' that says more or less ~
no view of life can be 100% proven valid,
nor view of life + faith can be 100% proven valid;
& thus, agnosticism does not see itself as a view of life.
my understanding of agnosticism is that it holds that an accurate view of life is not actually knowable.

How am i doing / am i tracking within range of your thinking? Thx.

Yes.
But getting back to your "faith" claim.
None is needed to be agnostic.

RegularJoe

Yes.
But getting back to your "faith" claim.
None is needed to be agnostic.
Concur that an agnostic subscribes to no 'view of life.'

RegularJoe

Could you define what you mean by 'no view of life"?*
Walt - Permit me to 1st comment on Bullet's related Q, "What do you mean by "view of life'?"
'View of life,' for me
(am not saying what it oughta be for others)
described with a broad sorta brush would be my combined most current to date view on:
1. How come i am here?
2. What do i think i am doing here?
3. Even :- ), what is 'here?'
4. Etc.
How would y'all broadly (or narrowly :) define 'view of life?'
Thus, Walt, to reply, Sir, specifically, to your above Q,
i'd say that by 'no view of life'
i am saying *that a person chooses/simply determines to not define much or any of the above.
How come i have commented previously that an agnostic chooses / determines to not subscribe to any particular 'view of life?'
Simply cause most dictionaries define agnostic as "non-committal" and "undogmatic."
i'd add that, it has been my experience, that most thoughtful agnostics have developed a rational understanding as to why their view is logically non-committal/undogmatic.

Last edited:

WaltL1

Walt - Permit me to 1st comment on Bullet's related Q, "What do you mean by "view of life'?"
'View of life,' for me
(am not saying what it oughta be for others)
described with a broad sorta brush would be my combined most current to date view on:
1. How come i am here?
4. Etc.
How would y'all broadly (or narrowly :) define 'view of life?'
Thus, Walt, to reply, Sir, specifically, to your above Q,
i'd say that by 'no view of life'
i am saying *that a person chooses/simply determines to not define much or any of the above.
How come i have commented previously that an agnostic chooses / determines to not subscribe to any particular 'view of life?'
Simply cause most dictionaries define agnostic as "non-committal" and "undogmatic."
i'd add that, it has been my experience, that most thoughtful agnostics have developed a rational understanding as to why their view is logically non-committal/undogmatic.
I think, I guess, kinda, in a broad sense I would have to agree.
I think we (I) have asked ourselves many of those same questions as above but for some we (I) more or less say "I don't know" which is pretty non-committal. Although I guess one could also be committed to "I don't know" until further discovery etc.
On the flip side one could take "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as a/one view of life in a generic (no god/God involved) form etc.
And one could also answer in very non-philosophical ways -
1. How come i am here?
Because my parents reproduced.
Whatever I decide my purpose is.
Earth.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If ya live to be a happy and healthy 100 yrs old it is not a lot of time.
Enjoy your time with family and friends and treat others as you would want to be treated yourself.

RegularJoe

1. How come i am here?
Earth.
Yup ... i could see that working well for some folks.

WaltL1

Originally Posted by WaltL1
1. How come i am here?
Earth.
Yup ... i could see that working well for some folks.
To me it is interesting that life is basically exactly the same for people that it works for and for people that it doesn't work for.
BOTH -
go to work
have family
hunt or fish or whatever hobbies
pay taxes
etc. etc.
The ONLY difference is whatever satisfies you MENTALLY.
Some folks just NEED for there to be more to it than what there is.
We hear very frequently that the A/A point of view is lacking because "it doesn't answer anything".
Actually it does, its just not acceptable to those who NEED for there to be some greater philosophical answer/reason/purpose.

ambush80

To me it is interesting that life is basically exactly the same for people that it works for and for people that it doesn't work for.
BOTH -
go to work
have family
pay taxes
etc. etc.

We hear very frequently that the A/A point of view is lacking because "it doesn't answer anything".
Actually it does, its just not acceptable to those who NEED for there to be some greater philosophical answer/reason/purpose.

That's the interesting part to me. I tend to be introspective and I do allot of self examination and I like to try to recognize the breadcrumbs that have taken me to one intellectual/spiritual place or another. I like to hear about other people's trails of breadcrumbs, too.

RegularJoe

I like to hear about other people's trails of breadcrumbs, too.
i do, as well.
i enjoy learning from others' trails of breadcrumbs.

660griz

If you really want to dig into the subject, try to find an example of a choice you can make that isn't determined by prior causes.

Maybe you mean a choice you 'will' make?

oldfella1962

I agree with this. But, that makes me think we have a will, which may be limited by "nature."

So, if there is a God, then the framework of nature is his. If there is no God, then evolution hasn't quite perfected the process just yet...........would we trend further away from "nurture" if that's the case?

good way to phrase it! We have a will, but that will still interacts within the framework of society/evolution/laws of physics/etc. And no doubt humans (and many other animals) are a product of nature and nurture and who know what other "x factors" exist. There are countless ways your "free will" decisions can play out, but not an infinite number of ways. The universe can adjust (in real time) quite well to your decisions, and there really are very few absolutely "good" or "bad" decisions in life that cannot be adjusted to or improvised around, with the possible exception of making Caddy Shack II. Just my 2 cents.

ambush80

good way to phrase it! We have a will, but that will still interacts within the framework of society/evolution/laws of physics/etc. And no doubt humans (and many other animals) are a product of nature and nurture and who know what other "x factors" exist. There are countless ways your "free will" decisions can play out, but not an infinite number of ways. The universe can adjust (in real time) quite well to your decisions, and there really are very few absolutely "good" or "bad" decisions in life that cannot be adjusted to or improvised around, with the possible exception of making Caddy Shack II. Just my 2 cents.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Although I doubt that the debate has, at any time, swung far enough to one side or the other to have been called a consensus, there have been swings, among scholars and laymen alike, over time that could be called a preference for one side or the other. Given that, what I think would be interesting would be to make a study of those swings over a given period of time (500yrs., 1000 yrs., 2000 yrs.) with the objective of determining which swings were led by philosophy, physics, theology, and maybe other disciplines. But that's just an idea for others to consider since, even if I had the facility to do the work, I could not reasonable expect to complete such a study in this lifetime.

red neck richie

BOTH -
go to work
have family
pay taxes
etc. etc.

Not true. I had no need for anything. And I can assure you I wasn't looking for anything Mentally. I wasn't indoctrinated or raised in church. I came to my own conclusion through my own life experiences. I think some people get caught up in a vision or what the world tells them that they lose the ability to have an open mind and find out for yourself. I don't think I have A specific purpose and I'm not seeking one. But I do believe in creation and GOD almighty. I cant prove it to you but you cant prove me wrong. In fact I bet most Christians would consider me a heathen. But I bet they haven't had the spiritual experiences I have had.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

From an Atheist standpoint, if free will is an illusion, is the opposite still predestination?
A person who believes in a higher being can determine that God has predestined. I guess an Atheist free will believer could say as Oldfella in post 162. That even without predestination, there still isn't freewill?
I think that is what he is saying. That there are a host of things going on that would keep someone from having free will even without predestination.