Buyers Beware

gunnurse

This is a rant regarding poor workmanship. I am not presenting this as new facts, or as something that I should not have already known.

I am a working family man. When I scrape up enough money to by myself a little something extra, it is a big deal. Enter the pistol that I purchased. It was a Taurus PT-140. I knew that it wasn't the most respected brand out there, but I thought it would be sufficient. Until... the "problem."

I went to take down the pistol for cleaning. I always carry chambered. When I went to operate the slide, it was stuck- with a round in the chamber. I took the weapon to a local respected shop for advice. Lacking another option, they tapped the slide backwards with a rubber mallet. The slide freed up, but the magazine retainer fell free from the gun.

Here comes the rant part. I have called the Taurus customer "service" line multiple times and have spent about three hours on hold. This morning, the service line simply stated that they were so busy, they wouldn't even put my call in line and hung up on me.

Should I just put a torch to this pistol and learn from my mistake? Does anyone have any constructive ideas?

ryanh487

Have you checked their website to see if you could initiate a warranty return that way? should just be able to send them a message/request, and then get a pre-paid fedex label emailed to you. Print it, put the gun in the box, slap the label on it, and drop it off. Even if a phone call took 30 seconds I'd prefer electronic, I can't stand talking to customer service for anything on the phone no matter what company.

Buck70

Taurus

They are neck deep in handling the class action suit involving recalled pistols, your pistol might be on the list. Check their website, it will link you to the attorneys handling the lawsuit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And such as that is why I never have or never will buy a Taurus. Heard too many of those stories. For about the same price you could have a much better S&W or Ruger, and for another bill, you can have a Glock that will last you forever.

BeerThirty

Taurus just gets a real bad rap out there, especially their semi-auto handguns, so it's a shame you had to personally deal with this...

Now, I know there are going to be plenty of folks who back Taurus, but more often than not their newer, semi-auto products seem to be problematic. I don't know how else to put it other than you get what you pay for... I have several friends who love handguns and they are always buying Taurus because they're more affordable, but those friends are ALWAYS having issues with their products at the range. Heck, you go online and check the reviews and there are so many bad ones I personally would steer clear, but that's just me.

On the flip side, I have seen several just beautiful Taurus revolvers, and even know a few guys who have shot deer with them and swear buy them.

If you do happen to consider a repurchase, I hear Canik is making some really nice products in the value tier.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
And such as that is why I never have or never will buy a Taurus. Heard too many of those stories. For about the same price you could have a much better S&W or Ruger, and for another bill, you can have a Glock that will last you forever.

Yep

Cobra

Have one of their .38 with a 2 in. barrel. Brand new in the box three years ago. Shot 3 times and the cylinder froze up and then came out in my hand, spring and plunger and all. Cut my loses as Customer Service was no good. No more Taurus for me , even if free. Good thing it was only practice and not in defense.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

gunnurse

Unfortunately, mine is the "new and improved G2.". Nuts.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Colt 1911 .45acp

or

Ruger Redhawk 7.5in 41 magnum

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I've heard of a lot of problems with Taurus pistols and their lack of customer service. I would ask for a full refund. A gun has one job.

Big7

The Oracle
My carry is a "gen. 1" if that's the "nomenclature"
PT-111 9MM. Millennium Pro.

I have fed it everything from "range" boolits
to +P+ Gold Dot with zero problems.

Left it outside a week and did report it stolen
only to stick it in the dishwasher and then
spray it with Rem. Oil. (no joke)

IDK what the bad rap is? The one I own and
one's I've shot that didn't belong to me shot
flawlessly. I'd like to have one of the
micro .22's.. Or a Raging Bull or a Tracker..

Just sayin'

If it was me:

1. Go to their facebook page and post about your bad experience

2. Go to LinkedIn and gather names of executives in the company

3. Find email format of people at the company (Usually: first.last@company.com or firstinitiallastname@company.com)

4. Email compliant to executives with call to action and clearly stated expected remedy

5. Find people on their pro staff and email them with your issues.....I did this once with lucky craft and it worked wonders.

Good luck.